Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

LAJ 04-08-20 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21407700)
Awesome. I bet that your work was much appreciated by your teammates.

It was appreciated by the winner, as he was the only teammate I had in the field. Desperate measures, as we were far outgunned in sheer numbers. It was sort of cool, because there were a few kudos from other team racers that commended us on our "team" tactics.

datlas 04-08-20 02:46 PM

I notice from Strava that some of my “friends” are still doing small group rides. I can’t understand this mentality. I saw two friends riding yesterday only about 10 feet from each other and yelled “social distance, morons!” at them.

I may have to stop even looking at Strava for my sanity. Sad!

datlas 04-08-20 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21407846)
awesome.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e9349de886.jpg
This was on my mailbox this morning . I added a table spoon to my bottle and appied it before my ride.

Slick. Did you save a few nanoseconds on your ride?

Bah Humbug 04-08-20 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21407860)
I notice from Strava that some of my “friends” are still doing small group rides. I can’t understand this mentality. I saw two friends riding yesterday only about 10 feet from each other and yelled “social distance, morons!” at them.

Dutch study says 10-15m rearward when cycling. I'm starting to get sketched out by the other runners in the morning.

ls01 04-08-20 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21407837)
I noticed that too. May end up doing more fake miles despite less traffic and nicer weather.

Probably good the weather is going to poo around here. I likely will do the same

ls01 04-08-20 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21407862)
Slick. Did you save a few nanoseconds on your ride?

I dunno. Dont have a comparable ride stored.

bampilot06 04-08-20 03:01 PM

I’ve noticed more close passes these last few rides as well. Not sure if it’s people out of work not used to seeing cyclist, or maybe they think we shouldn’t be on the road?

seedsbelize 04-08-20 03:09 PM

Many cyclists are incapable of riding solo. That would mean being alone with their thoughts.

seedsbelize 04-08-20 03:15 PM

My road this morning was empty. Mostly firewood gatherers, for the cooking fires. Half a dozen cars, if that, and two delivery trucks, one with cement blocks and the other with an enclosed trailer. 11 miles out; 11 miles back. A handful of motorcycles and a couple bikes. The beauty of riding with a mask is no need for sunscreen on the lips. I hope to get out earlier tomorrow.

LAJ 04-08-20 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21407897)
Many cyclists are incapable of riding solo. That would mean being alone with their thoughts.

Distance riding requires getting along with yourself.

Bah Humbug 04-08-20 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21407923)
Distance riding requires getting along with yourself.

Which is why a lot of people are having trouble with social distancing, regardless of activity.

WhyFi 04-08-20 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21407944)
Which is why a lot of people are having trouble with social distancing, regardless of activity.

I've long been comfortable with my own thoughts, it's that pesky family that's giving me trouble.

Trsnrtr 04-08-20 03:42 PM

I just got a text from a friend that he rode with another friend of ours. Both are in the high risk group.

Trsnrtr 04-08-20 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21407897)

I agree. We all know cyclists like that. If they don’t have a group, they won’t ride.

berner 04-08-20 03:52 PM

I began re-reading a biography of Ben Franklin. I first read it 40 years ago and had forgotten what a smart, cool dude he was. This has inspired me to write my autobiography. I need a provocative title something like "The Unknown Secrets of Bristol Herein Revealed". That ought to rack up sales.

WhyFi 04-08-20 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21407977)
I agree. We all know cyclists like that. If they don’t have a group, they won’t ride.

I'm sure that many have other reasons, safety (or the perception of it) being among them.

If I'm being honest, I love riding with the group, but there are still plenty of times where I want to ride alone. Those are usually the days when I have evening "scheduling conflicts" with the family so I squeeze out for a solo morning ride instead.

seedsbelize 04-08-20 04:19 PM

I tend to enjoy company when riding after dark.

ericy 04-08-20 04:20 PM

In our development, we have sort of a loop that one can do that work out to just about 2 miles. Since my wife's tennis is shut down, we started walking the loop if the weather is halfways decent, and that keeps us away from 99% of the cars.

I can ride the loop in a bike, but how many circuits can one do before you are sick of riding in circles? Getting to the MUP is possible, but far from ideal.

big john 04-08-20 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21407818)
So in a 40 mile ride, 3 verbal altercations and 4 close passes. At one point I was dealing with idiots from 2 separate cars at the same time. Does this virus make people stupider too.

I'm seeing more close passes. I've also noticed people don't seem to be paying attention at intersections or when entering the road from a parking lot or driveway. A lot worse than usual.
I really miss my group rides. I can ride solo but a group ride with friends adds so much.

Bah Humbug 04-08-20 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21407957)
I've long been comfortable with my own thoughts, it's that pesky family that's giving me trouble.

AG mostly just works at her laptop.

MoAlpha 04-08-20 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21408057)
I'm seeing more close passes. I've also noticed people don't seem to be paying attention at intersections or when entering the road from a parking lot or driveway. A lot worse than usual.
I really miss my group rides. I can ride solo but a group ride with friends adds so much.

I was out on a wide, relatively flat, mile of uninterrupted suburban two-lane today. People often drive fast there, but today I was passed by two cars going at least 80 mph. The speed limit there is 45. Haven't had any punishment passes recently.

Also yelled at a little kid who was cycling right at me in the middle of the lane on a different road.

ls01 04-08-20 04:37 PM

Also Accidents seam to be frequent. Yesterday someone creamed the traffic light pole to our subdivision. I saw remnants of 3 other telephone pole conflicts. All recent with car parts strewn about. 2/3rds of the traffic is gone and yet people still cant drive?

LesterOfPuppets 04-08-20 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21408090)
Also Accidents seam to be frequent. Yesterday someone creamed the traffic light pole to our subdivision. I saw remnants of 3 other telephone pole conflicts. All recent with car parts strewn about. 2/3rds of the traffic is gone and yet people still cant drive?

Maybe running into other cars kept them from running into telephone and traffic control infrastructure :)

big john 04-08-20 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21408088)
I was out on a wide, relatively flat, mile of uninterrupted suburban two-lane today. People often drive fast there, but today I was passed by two cars going at least 80 mph. The speed limit there is 45. Haven't had any punishment passes recently.

The mayor of Los Angeles addressed this yesterday during his daily tv chat. He said the police had received many complaints of idiot drivers speeding more than ever and he insisted the officers had been instructed to enforce the speed limits.

MoAlpha 04-08-20 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21408096)
Maybe running into other cars kept them from running into telephone and traffic control infrastructure :)

Possibly brilliant insight.

There are also reports of brain disease from CoV-2.