Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   the mental hell of timed endurance trials (bike, run, whatever) (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1237131)

CheGiantForLife 08-21-21 02:39 PM

the mental hell of timed endurance trials (bike, run, whatever)

Speaking of which, when I watched this trail run segment, it really impressed upon me

the mental hell of timed endurance trials (bike, run, whatever)

https://tinyurl.com/2np7kn7v

You can always/never coast.

Each step is a decision.

The mental hell of pacing self over a long distance.

shelbyfv 08-21-21 03:03 PM

Thanks for sharing.

70sSanO 08-21-21 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife (Post 22194051)
The mental hell of pacing self over a long distance.

I agree. After reading one of your threads, I generally wait 6 hours before going to the next one.

Lately, however, I wait till the next day.

John

CheGiantForLife 08-22-21 08:16 AM

I was hoping this thread would lead to thoughtful discussion about the mental challenges of coping with high performance riding
feeling that always having to push vs. taking a break for a few seconds.

downhillmaster 08-22-21 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife (Post 22194802)
I was hoping this thread would lead to thoughtful discussion about the mental challenges of coping with high performance riding

You lost me at mental challenges

GhostRider62 08-22-21 09:02 AM

2 hour video with commercials?

Talk about a mental challenge.

I'm going out for 2 hours ride in the rain instead.

Ironfish653 08-22-21 09:36 AM

Contemplate Rule #5.

That is the Way.

70sSanO 08-22-21 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by downhillmaster (Post 22194858)
You lost me at mental challenges

You… you deplete me.

John

GhostRider62 08-22-21 11:40 AM

Contemplating this post in the rain allowed me to set a PB 5 minute and 20 minute at 354 and 342. Half the time it is all in your head and the other 90% of the time, it is mental. Or, just ride in the rain. Not sure

Clyde1820 08-22-21 01:00 PM

Back in the day, did competitive distance running. Certain types of runs we did in the "time-trial" format. Tough, each of them. As suggested, it can be as much (or more) of a mental challenge as physical. Each choice made can mean seconds or minutes of difference. Sometimes, particularly on tougher, hill, technical courses, one wrong step could mean the difference between injury or gaining on the clock. Hugely satisfying, though, when getting it "right" and handling the mental aspect. Generally, those for me were the runs when the physical simply took care of itself.

wolfchild 08-22-21 01:20 PM

Reading and trying to understand this this thread is a bigger challenge than racing a triathlon in 120 F heat.

Cougrrcj 08-22-21 01:25 PM

No Freaking Way could I EVER run more than 1000yds/850Meters without falling over dead. Cycling 100km/62Mi or swimming 5 miles is not as problem... Done the latter many times. The running/jogging? Nope.

BITD, I swam 'open ocean' (actually open water) in Lake Erie 4 miles between the Western-basin islands 'Just because'...

I was a distance swimmer in High School - 500yds in less than 5:20. Mile 'run/jog' in less than 6:00 was also not a problem. Cycling? Even at 63yo, I STILL commute at better than 20mph riding speed (18+mph counting time spent at traffic lights). Could I run any 'distance' today? Nope...I haven't tried any distance swimming in 40 years...

shelbyfv 08-22-21 02:34 PM

I was hoping this thread....

I'm sure you were.:twitchy:

PeteHski 08-23-21 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Cougrrcj (Post 22195294)
No Freaking Way could I EVER run more than 1000yds/850Meters without falling over dead.

The sheer boredom of running would kill me in under 500 metres.

Clyde1820 08-23-21 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Cougrrcj (Post 22195294)
No Freaking Way could I EVER run more than 1000yds/850Meters without falling over dead. Cycling 100km/62Mi or swimming 5 miles is not as problem... Done the latter many times. The running/jogging? Nope.

Funny, how we're all different.

Could always do distance runs and swimming for hours, myself, but have had limits on cycling. Did a ~65mi brisk route cycling, once, with an amateur competitive cyclist buddy, years ago. Couldn't walk easily for a couple of days.

CheGiantForLife 08-23-21 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Clyde1820 (Post 22195236)
Back in the day, did competitive distance running. Certain types of runs we did in the "time-trial" format. Tough, each of them. As suggested, it can be as much (or more) of a mental challenge as physical. Each choice made can mean seconds or minutes of difference. Sometimes, particularly on tougher, hill, technical courses, one wrong step could mean the difference between injury or gaining on the clock. Hugely satisfying, though, when getting it "right" and handling the mental aspect. Generally, those for me were the runs when the physical simply took care of itself.

Yes, that is exactly

livedarklions 08-23-21 06:45 AM

One is harder than the other.
Next up: driving a Formula 1 car on a closed track vs. delivering Amazon packages with a cargo van.