Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Got a new bike, what pedals do I have (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1259171)

boba7523 09-24-22 07:13 PM

Got a new bike, what pedals do I have

Hey guys, I recently got myself a 2015 Giant Defy 1, and it comes with a Shimano pedal. But I'm not sure what kind it is. I'm suspecting it's either SPD or SPD SL but wanted to check with you guys. I'm trying to buy cycling shoes with cleats for them so I can clip in. Thank you!

alcjphil 09-24-22 07:21 PM

That bike did not come with any specific pedals, so what it has now is whatever the previous owner installed on it. Without a description or a photo, these pedals could be any one of dozens of clipless style pedals on the market. As for shoes, you have to determine whether the pedals require either 2 bolt or 3 bolt cleats. A few cycling shoes can accept either type, but most are either one or the other. Cleats are not sold with shoes. Normally pedals are sold with the required cleats which can also be purchased separately. It is up to you to figure out what brand and model pedals were installed on your bike, they could be any one of dozens of choices. Then you have to buy the required cleats and then buy shoes those cleats can be installed on

cyclezen 09-24-22 07:23 PM

you can usually find the Shimano model #/name somewhere on the pedal...
you can also check here: https://www.roadbikerider.com/comple...ds-and-models/

Ride On
Yuri

boba7523 09-24-22 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by alcjphil (Post 22658382)
That bike did not come with any specific pedals, so what it has now is whatever the previous owner installed on it. Without a description or a photo, these pedals could be any one of dozens of clipless style pedals on the market. As for shoes, you have to determine whether the pedals require either 2 bolt or 3 bolt cleats. A few cycling shoes can accept either type, but most are either one or the other. Cleats are not sold with shoes. Normally pedals are sold with the required cleats which can also be purchased separately. It is up to you to figure out what brand and model pedals were installed on your bike, they could be any one of dozens of choices. Then you have to buy the required cleats and then buy shoes those cleats can be installed on

Thank you , you replied too fast lol. I was still uploading photos :

alcjphil 09-24-22 07:29 PM

As a new member you will not be able to upload photos until you have 10 posts. You will however be able to create a photo album to which you can upload photos where older members can examine them. and tell you what pedals you have
I know that this is often frustrating for new members but this policy had to be used due to hundreds of spam posts a few years ao

cxwrench 09-24-22 08:09 PM

Damn, just google it and compare to what you have. Way easier and faster than posting here.

alcjphil 09-24-22 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by cxwrench (Post 22658416)
Damn, just google it and compare to what you have. Way easier and faster than posting here.

Come on. The OP is new here and is asking an honest question. We need to just chill and cut them them some slack.

kwb377 09-25-22 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by alcjphil (Post 22658509)
Come on. The OP is new here and is asking an honest question. We need to just chill and cut them them some slack.

We can cut them all the slack in the world, but can't help when the sole information presented is "Shimano pedals".

While the presentation may not have been palatable, they have a valid point...it would have probably taken less than two minutes to type "Shimano pedals" into Google and sifted through Images until finding a match. While the OP may be new here, I doubt they're new to the internet. Based on reading questions here and on various FB groups (cycling related and other hobbies), it's clear that people nowadays would rather type a question and wait hours to read responses than take 60 seconds of their time and find the answer themselves. "Problem solving" is quickly becoming a dying skill.

Chuck M 09-25-22 09:55 AM

I'm willing to bet that the OP probably came across Bike Forums after trying to google what pedal he has. In this case a polite suggestion to do a google image search of Shimano pedals would have been more welcoming to him than a curt answer. Yet we seem to support pages of posts wanting to know what we have found in dumpsters, asking for solutions for carrying golf clubs and debating if one should be welcome to bandit an organized charity ride without a shirt and helmet while complaining about troll posters. Just my two cents, but I think we could support our hobby better by helping someone learn to identify a bicycle component than feeding the trolls in other threads.

Atlas Shrugged 09-25-22 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by kwb377 (Post 22658742)
We can cut them all the slack in the world, but can't help when the sole information presented is "Shimano pedals".

While the presentation may not have been palatable, they have a valid point...it would have probably taken less than two minutes to type "Shimano pedals" into Google and sifted through Images until finding a match. While the OP may be new here, I doubt they're new to the internet. Based on reading questions here and on various FB groups (cycling related and other hobbies), it's clear that people nowadays would rather type a question and wait hours to read responses than take 60 seconds of their time and find the answer themselves. "Problem solving" is quickly becoming a dying skill.

What is not a dying skill is the art of scolding others and generally being unpleasant for no purpose whatsoever. If someone chooses to reach out to the BF community in a way you see as awkward why comment? Let someone else respond and continue on your highly productive and efficient soulless day.

Originally Posted by cxwrench (Post 22658416)

Charming as always.

Bogey Speedwell 09-25-22 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by boba7523 (Post 22658376)
Hey guys, I recently got myself a 2015 Giant Defy 1, and it comes with a Shimano pedal. But I'm not sure what kind it is. I'm suspecting it's either SPD or SPD SL but wanted to check with you guys. I'm trying to buy cycling shoes with cleats for them so I can clip in. Thank you!

pretty confusing to start with, or it was to me with my feeble brain, lol. It’s even harder if you don’t have a cyclist friend or LBS (Local Bike Shop) to rely on. And of course with less than 10 post you can’t upload pictures. Perhaps this may help.

https://university.trisports.com/201...ipless-pedals/

veganbikes 09-25-22 12:22 PM

I think they might be Shimano Pedals either SPD or SPD SL. Without pictures nobody will know except you. To post pictures you need to get active in the forums, there are tons of excellent current threads that people are actively posting in. You should be one of those. If that is not your interest then I might suggest as others using the great god google but if it is welcome and get posting and pretty soon in just a short time you will be able to post photos and you will be actively joining in on threads and having a great time here.

boba7523 09-30-22 11:28 PM

Hey guys, I figured out the model name is inscribed on the pedal. Yes, it is SPL SL pedal.

Ghazmh 10-01-22 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by boba7523 (Post 22665042)
Hey guys, I figured out the model name is inscribed on the pedal. Yes, it is SPL SL pedal.

What’s the model name?

boba7523 10-01-22 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ghazmh (Post 22665579)
What’s the model name?

They are Shimano pd-r540 I believe, I forgot. But SPD SL for sure.

urbanknight 10-01-22 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by kwb377 (Post 22658742)

To be fair, Shimano has made multiple types of pedals in many different models. While SPD and SPD-SL are noticeably different, I would expect a newbie to have a hack of a time telling between SPD-SL and the older Shimano models using the Look Delta system, and imagine asking here could get a faster answer... once they could upload the pics, of course.