Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Steel is pretty good (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1264518)

don compton 12-07-22 09:30 PM

Steel is pretty good

As I have mentioned before, at 70 I started to ride again. I was never into racing, just clubs rides, centuries, and many overnighters with our riding group. I was a very high level golfer with a very bad back. In 1984 after watching the Olympic road race in Costa Mesa, I decided that maybe cycling could help my overall fitness. Well, I got hooked on cycling. I just really enjoyed it and I felt it was an escape from my horribly competitive experience in golf. I rode 7-9000 miles a year from the early eighties to 2017. I broke my leg in 2017 and was laid up for six months. At 65yo, it was a real revelation.
Getting back to steel, I have two bikes that I ride( I own many more).
After riding my Trek Domane ( which I really like), I decided to put my 10+ yo Steve Rex back together. It was designed like a Rivendell, room for large tires and a slightly longer wheelbase than racing bikes(a lot like the Domane).
Well, I really like the old Rex. The Domane's lighter weight will help in the hills, but the Rex with my 32c tubeless tires is a dream to ride.

vespasianus 12-08-22 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by don compton (Post 22732912)
As I have mentioned before, at 70 I started to ride again. I was never into racing, just clubs rides, centuries, and many overnighters with our riding group. I was a very high level golfer with a very bad back. In 1984 after watching the Olympic road race in Costa Mesa, I decided that maybe cycling could help my overall fitness. Well, I got hooked on cycling. I just really enjoyed it and I felt it was an escape from my horribly competitive experience in golf. I rode 7-9000 miles a year from the early eighties to 2017. I broke my leg in 2017 and was laid up for six months. At 65yo, it was a real revelation.
Getting back to steel, I have two bikes that I ride( I own many more).
After riding my Trek Domane ( which I really like), I decided to put my 10+ yo Steve Rex back together. It was designed like a Rivendell, room for large tires and a slightly longer wheelbase than racing bikes(a lot like the Domane).
Well, I really like the old Rex. The Domane's lighter weight will help in the hills, but the Rex with my 32c tubeless tires is a dream to ride.

Welcome back to the fold! Often, stopping one thing and coming back to it later can increase the experience.

Old steel bikes are wonderful. I have a Tommasini with the small diameter tubes (and 1" headset) that were normal until the OS stuff came along. Even with 23mm tires pump up to 120 PSI, the bike has an almost magical feel.

Rolla 12-10-22 08:12 PM

Ride whatever you like. Frame material has never once added or subtracted any joy from my riding experience. Tire choice, on the other hand...

John E 12-11-22 06:33 AM

My mountain bike is 34 years old; my road bikes range from 41 to 63 (shown) years old; every frame I own is steel. Steel is real.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a283de0622.jpg
1959 Capo with Nervar Star crank and Campag. 980 derailleur upgrades and new Brooks Pro saddle. Perfect sport-touring geometry for long rides.

Monkitoucher 12-19-22 04:50 PM

I agree. I have a mid 90s Tommasini Tecno that feels awesome to ride. It isn't fast but it's not lumbering either. It's still my main ride.

Up until a couple of years ago I would have been perfectly happy on my 26" hardtail mountain bike. But my wife and I splurged on new mtn. bikes last year. I got the Yeti SB130. My life changed. Mountain bikes are definitely worth the upgrade from 26", if you still ride them.

BlazingPedals 12-20-22 01:20 PM

I would say that "steel has a certain appeal."