Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

seedsbelize 07-24-20 11:42 AM

There was an intentional gravel segment to my ride today. I was on slicks, so chose to dismount for a few of the many cross the road puddles with slippery sides. Next time I'll use cross tires. It appears I will be doing more gravel, as time goes on. I really enjoy the shade. And there are lots of available routes. I find I'm quite comfortable on the 60 cm 414 in those conditions. No need to go hybrid or mtb.
Eight or nine years ago I was riding a road not yet open to traffic. This road I rode today(for the second time) starts out as a village street, turns unpaved, and finishes as a brand new, under construction 4 lane. Hard pack and ready for paving. Always a treat to find these treasures.
At the moment, it goes from nowhere to nowhere.

genejockey 07-24-20 11:50 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21604906)
I yam what I yam.

Also, get off my lawn, turn down off that damn music, and chew with your mouth closed.

And stop tracking mud across my clean carpet!

Trsnrtr 07-24-20 11:54 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21604489)
Got it. Yeah, I had to replace my valves once, the seals had just gotten old/worn, but it wasn't too bad. My grouphead design may have more easy access, though.

Edit: found some pics that I took during the process, the first comparing the old/new valves and the others in an exploded view (which is always nice when it's time to put it back together). Do you need to have any food grade lube on hand or anything? Double-check before you pull things apart.

Your second set of pics looks a lot like the guts of the valve that I'm supposed to clean.

Trsnrtr 07-24-20 11:58 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 21604724)
The right glasses made my night driving sooo much better. I can still drive in daylight without glasses, sort of, but at night it's a blur without the specs.

My wife has had both day and night driving glasses since she had cataract surgery 10 years ago. I never had a problem.

Trsnrtr 07-24-20 12:00 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21604810)
People tend to forget that ophthalmology is a surgical specialty.

Not me. I'm on a first name personal relationship with my eye surgeon. His name is Pete. :)

Trsnrtr 07-24-20 12:07 PM

Velo Vol We can grow anything in Central Illinois. Ever wonder where your TP comes from? :D


https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...cabfddc046.jpg

MoAlpha 07-24-20 12:14 PM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21604967)
Not me. I'm on a first name personal relationship with my eye surgeon. His name is Pete. :)

Does he have a Cervélo?

genejockey 07-24-20 12:36 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21604992)
Does he have a Cervélo?

I thought that was dentists?

Velo Vol 07-24-20 12:37 PM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21604980)
Velo Vol We can grow anything in Central Illinois. Ever wonder where your TP comes from? :D

wut is that?

[Deduct ten points for picture resolution]

BillyD 07-24-20 12:38 PM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21604967)
Not me. I'm on a first name personal relationship with my eye surgeon. His name is Pete. :)

:lol: I wouldn't mind that, might even invite him/her over for cookouts.

Velo Vol 07-24-20 12:38 PM

datlas

MoAlpha 07-24-20 12:44 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 21605020)
I thought that was dentists?

Apparently not.

WhyFi 07-24-20 12:44 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21605024)

That happened with one of subjects of one of those house flippin' shows, too.

genejockey 07-24-20 12:48 PM

Boy, I think this Pandemic has been going on long enough. I read that caption as "Florida Broadcast Journalist says viewer spotted coronavirus lump on her neck." I thought, "Aw, geez! ANOTHER symptom to worry about!"

Bah Humbug 07-24-20 01:04 PM

I think the universe wants me to take the rest of the afternoon off; I finished my problem (I think) and was testing it, and now our test server is under maintenance (actual maintenance, not Garmin "maintenance") so I can't finish, but am feeling good. Seems like a good thing to just ride into the weekend and not be worrying until Monday.

Trsnrtr 07-24-20 01:22 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21604992)
Does he have a Cervélo?

I'm guessing his interests more lie in food establishments.

Trsnrtr 07-24-20 01:24 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21605022)
wut is that?

You can't tell that it's giant rolls of toilet paper?

#whoosh !

seedsbelize 07-24-20 01:28 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 21605020)
I thought that was dentists?

Dentists ride titanium

seedsbelize 07-24-20 01:36 PM

I am clearly not in shape yet for daily rides. Back to every other day and be able to function after

bampilot06 07-24-20 01:45 PM


Originally Posted by mvnsnd (Post 21604902)
Ahh. Just be aware that a longer stem will stretch you out and you will need to be flexible enough in the hips/back to ride in that position. If riding in the drops for long times is already OK, then a longer stem should also be OK.

Drops don’t bother me. I do find myself on the hoods a lot. But this is due to habit not comfort.

abshipp 07-24-20 02:11 PM

Since modern bikes sizing is described in terms of stack and reach, I'm trying to translate the measurements of my current frames into terms of stack and reach so that I can compare more easily, but I'm coming up with some weird numbers. Must not be drawing something right :foo:

My only CAD software is at work, does anyone have any recommendations for some freeware that works decently well? This year my favorite 2D CAD program became paid only, and I'm not about to pay $100/year for something I use so rarely at home :(

abshipp 07-24-20 02:14 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21605059)
I think the universe wants me to take the rest of the afternoon off; I finished my problem (I think) and was testing it, and now our test server is under maintenance (actual maintenance, not Garmin "maintenance") so I can't finish, but am feeling good. Seems like a good thing to just ride into the weekend and not be worrying until Monday.

Clearly.

LesterOfPuppets 07-24-20 02:15 PM

OMG, someone painted a 2019 Emonda in USPS livery. They're asking $8k for it.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...db881f858e.jpg

datlas 07-24-20 02:18 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21605116)
Drops don’t bother me. I do find myself on the hoods a lot. But this is due to habit not comfort.

Speaking of drops, I think I spend maybe 20-25% of my time in the drops. But looking around at my friends, they are pretty much never in the drops.

What's up with that??

genejockey 07-24-20 02:31 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21605144)
Since modern bikes sizing is described in terms of stack and reach, I'm trying to translate the measurements of my current frames into terms of stack and reach so that I can compare more easily, but I'm coming up with some weird numbers. Must not be drawing something right :foo:

My only CAD software is at work, does anyone have any recommendations for some freeware that works decently well? This year my favorite 2D CAD program became paid only, and I'm not about to pay $100/year for something I use so rarely at home :(

I did it the Old Fashioned Way - first, I made myself an Old Fashioned. :rolleyes:

Then I set each bike up, JUST touching the kitchen counter with the back wheel against the wall. Then I measured from the center of the BB spindle to the floor, and to the wall where the wheel was touching. Then I measured from the center of the top of the top tube to the wall and the floor. Then I used an Excel sheet to convert inches to cm and do the appropriate subtractions, and voila! Stack and Reach.

I also used this method to measure saddle setback, saddle-handlebar drop, Reach+ and Stack+.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:39 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.