Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

Mojo31 03-25-22 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22450792)
So...An old neighborhood friend who I have not seen in ages is going to be in town from CA visiting her mom this weekend. (Friend's brother and I were partners in crime for a while.) Mom still lives in the 'hood where we all grew up. (Dad died of a massive heart attack back in '85.) Like many families at the time, we all knew each other from being members of a local swim club. Mom's current partner looks to be an excellent cook. Mom posts photos on Facebook that make my stuff look pedestrian. Got invited to dinner with them tomorrow night. Should be a fun and tasty night.

Parents should always provide a good meal.

Thatís what my kids tell me, anyway.

big john 03-25-22 03:43 PM

big john 03-25-22 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22450759)
You start out as a child and your parents are godlike in your world, .

Nope.

ls01 03-25-22 06:17 PM

Nice work Datlas.

Bah Humbug 03-25-22 06:54 PM

It's funny - was in CO solo last week and AG didn't want me single-shotting it alone, so I stopped in Amarillo both times. Northbound I stopped in a Fairfield Inn that was turrible. This time I stopped in the TownPlace across the street - both Marriott - and it's awesome. Same price. :foo:​​​​​​​

Bah Humbug 03-25-22 06:54 PM

Also, last time it was 30-something degrees, ferocious wind, and drizzling. Now it's sunny and warm.

Bah Humbug 03-25-22 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22450638)
Parody threads are one of the things that used to make this bike forum so much fun. Now days people take this cycling thing too seriously. Between pissing contests about virtually everything and trying to be the know-it-all smartest guy around, this forum has become boring and insufferable . . . . . like we're giving out prizes to subject matter experts or something. People need to burnish their self esteem somewhere else and make more room for the fun people. The mods are part of the problem, we need to stop responding to people who have no sense of humor.

I've been meaning to get that off my chest for probably ... years.

Doug, if you want to start a parody thread, be my guest.

That's why this time I'm not posting out of this thread. Maybe I'll last longer. The whole place is way different from when I joined though. :(

Bah Humbug 03-25-22 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22450759)
I remember going through some tough emotional times when Mom and Dad were declining with age. A lot of it had to do with them having always been kind of a rock in the foundation of my existence. You start out as a child and your parents are godlike in your world, then they become human as you grow up, but you always retain a hint of the early feelings about them. Then they start to decline with age and that gets shaken a bit. Then they decline more rapidly and you realize that in many ways you've overtaken them.

I am having a rough time seeing my mother physically decline over the last year, for the first real time in my life. Hopefully the hip replacement helps.

BillyD 03-25-22 07:26 PM

How about that St.Peters!!!

indyfabz 03-25-22 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22451051)
How about that St.Peters!!!

Pur-Didnít!

big john 03-25-22 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22451046)
The whole place is way different from when I joined though. :(

It's way different than when I joined, too. Used to be a lot more humor and wit in the road forum.
In the So Cal regional forum we used to organize rides, this one lady could get 50 riders sometimes. Some bullies drove her away and the whole thing fizzled.
I never raced but I started hanging out in the racers forum on the chat thread. It was similar to this thread except a lot slower and sometimes there are no posts for days. The guys were always cool to me and it got pretty interesting sometimes. Actually met and rode with 3 of them.

I was happy to be accepted (I think) into this thread after Pcad passed on. Used to chat with him almost daily on FB.

abshipp 03-25-22 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22450423)
Can I interest you in a NIB, UL tent? Only 2.8 lbs. packed weight.

Our senior mechanic fully retired this week and is going to go walk the AT for a while.

I went to help him move some heavy stuff out of his apartment and while I was there he showed me the pack he's taking.

Everything including food for 4 days / 3 nights plus 2 liters of water was 27 pounds, and that's packing for camping in the Smokies at 5k-6k feet in Spring. Pretty wild.

phrantic09 03-26-22 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22451100)
It's way different than when I joined, too. Used to be a lot more humor and wit in the road forum.
In the So Cal regional forum we used to organize rides, this one lady could get 50 riders sometimes. Some bullies drove her away and the whole thing fizzled.
I never raced but I started hanging out in the racers forum on the chat thread. It was similar to this thread except a lot slower and sometimes there are no posts for days. The guys were always cool to me and it got pretty interesting sometimes. Actually met and rode with 3 of them.

I was happy to be accepted (I think) into this thread after Pcad passed on. Used to chat with him almost daily on FB.

The past few years have sucked the humor out of everyone.

phrantic09 03-26-22 05:24 AM

Fun/brutal day planned today. 105 solo, 7500 climbing, 68% on dirt with a 50% chance of rain.

Im guessing 8 hours on knobby 38s

indyfabz 03-26-22 05:37 AM

Fun/brutal morning.

Wordle 280 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩
⬜🟨⬜🟨🟩
⬜🟨⬜🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

datlas 03-26-22 05:38 AM

We are trying to decide ride plans. Looks chilly and windy with a few sprinkles, but hoping to still get in a ride. Route is too flat imo but one must compromise.

Also annoyed at Wordle, after 3 guesses I have first 3 letters in order but can’t figure it out.

These are good first works problems, obv.

LAJ 03-26-22 06:08 AM

F1

Race, or we may not let you leave.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c1aed6393.jpeg

LAJ 03-26-22 06:35 AM

Just another average Saturday.

Wordle 280 4/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟩⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

phrantic09 03-26-22 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22451268)
F1

Race, or we may not let you leave.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c1aed6393.jpeg

Is that more a comment on the Saudis or FIA? I was happy to see Haas brought back KM and fired Uralkali as a sponsor as well as the whiny son who has no business racing at that level

big john 03-26-22 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22451243)
The past few years have sucked the humor out of everyone.

True, but I've been on here for 17 years.

big john 03-26-22 07:34 AM

Wordle 280 4/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨
⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟩⬜🟩🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Mojo31 03-26-22 07:39 AM

Wordle 280 3/6

⬜⬜🟩⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

DougRNS 03-26-22 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22451100)

Hell yes. As self appointed content quality manager I'd be pissed if you didn't post about rides and those pictures are fabulous. You've got a bunch of nice riding friends out there in Cali.

DougRNS 03-26-22 08:52 AM

At my initial appointment for my nerve block test, I asked about stopping my blood thinner before the procedure and the physician assistant said I didn't have to. I questioned her since I had to for my epidural steroid injection. She again said no. I am now filling out the pre-procedure paperwork and it says to stop my blood thinner 48 hours in advance of my procedure. Luckily I took it at 7 AM and my procedure is at 11 on Monday.

I am furious with the lack of competence encountered throughout my ordeal. I am trusting my health to these A-holes!?

Velo Vol would appreciate this story.
These clowns give Witch Doctors a bad name.

#ExpletiveDeleted

LarrySellerz 03-26-22 09:32 AM

Had a weird experience yesterday. I was turning onto a popular bike corridor and saw an older guy approaching with a bright front light in the middle of the day. Excited to have some company/competition on my commute, I take the hands off my handlebars and start accelerating. Front Light goes to pass, but since Iím accelerating he passes me at about 19 mph with a small speed differential and I slot on his wheel, he glances back and sees this. A few seconds later i carried my speed and pull up next to him while riding on my top tube. Dude literally says ďwhateverĒ and I tell him to stay safe and enjoy his ride, and take off because itís clear he did not enjoy my company.

what I donít get is why would you pass someone who has his hands off his bars at 19 mph. This is obvious bait, why would he take it if he didnít want any part of it? Also he passed without as much as a hello, which tbh made me a little bit upset, might not have sat on my top tube while he was blowing up if he was more polite. I was on a hybrid with no kit and helmet hanging off my bars, so he probably thought I was a noob.