Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254494)

seedsbelize2 09-07-22 06:22 AM

Wordle 445 4/6
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Dreams of a deuce. Alas...

Mojo31 09-07-22 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22638550)
I was actually thinking about this while riding the other day. Mrs. GeneJockey is currently fixated on Buffalo (again), so I was thinking, "How many months a year will I be able ride outside?", the answer to which is not "12", for either Buffalo or Pittsburgh, whereas that IS the answer for San Mateo.

Now all I have to do is buy a lottery ticket.

Now you are thinking.

Mojo31 09-07-22 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22638858)
Thanks for reminding me that I need to bag up that POS and ship it back. :roflmao2:

Keep it for when you outgrow that girly figure. 😁

big john 09-07-22 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22639017)
Wordle 445 4/6
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Dreams of a deuce. Alas...

Wordle 445 3/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜🟨
🟩🟩⬜🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

genejockey 09-07-22 07:55 AM

Meh.
Wordle 445 4/6

⬜⬜🟩🟩⬜
⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
I don't think I'm good at elimination words.

WhyFi 09-07-22 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22639025)
Keep it for when you outgrow that girly figure. 😁

Oof. Heaven forfend.

genejockey 09-07-22 08:23 AM

I think the heat makes the dogs - especially Rango - lethargic during the day, but restless at night. I wanted to close the door to the LR, so all the air going up the whole house fan would be drawn into our bedroom and down the hall to cool that area. Rango decides he wants to sleep in the LR - for a while. So I have to leave the door open or he'll be scratching at it till someone lets him in.

Then, this morning, he woke me up at about 6, walking out to the LR and back again. I got up, went to the bathroom since I was up, and when I come out, he's sacked out on his bed again. But there I was, awake.

mschwett 09-07-22 09:40 AM

Wordle 445 3/6

⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

decent streak going since The Defeat. 3, 2, 3, 3 i think?

Mojo31 09-07-22 10:12 AM

Good for 10 watts!

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5f74e764e1.jpg

rjones28 09-07-22 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22639222)

Want.

LesterOfPuppets 09-07-22 10:31 AM

:lol:
Need to get it higher to really give that rear tire some bite.

https://static.carthrottle.com/works...2309022a84.jpg

Mojo31 09-07-22 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22639223)
Want.

Need.

WhyFi 09-07-22 11:03 AM

Picked up some different Ethiopian, single origin coffee beans from a local roaster the other day. Very light roast for espresso, but I think that they work really well. They remind me of a coffee shop in Richmond that my wife really liked, so I thought that I should let her try 'em out, even though she typically prefers the much darker, more tradition roasts. I was mildly surprised, but somewhat relieved, that she didn't really dig it - the beans are significantly more expensive than her daily driver.

datlas 09-07-22 11:43 AM

We had a good mid-week ride today. The faster ride was canceled, so there were a few "A" riders on my ride but I yelled at them to respect the moderate pace, and they mostly behaved. I broke the 6K mile mark for the year too! :bday:

big john 09-07-22 11:45 AM

I took the mtb and rode the back streets to the dirt area I like to play. I passed at least 5 schools as the student were being dropped off. That will keep you on your toes, dealing with frazzled parents lined up to drop the kids and get back in the traffic lane. No horns were honked, no obscenities hollered, no fingers extended. Still, a little sketchy.

datlas 09-07-22 11:46 AM

Wordle 6/6. Sigh. At least my streak is not broken.

genejockey 09-07-22 12:56 PM

I'm reasonably certain with my fat ass on the saddle that my rear tire does NOT need more downforce.

genejockey 09-07-22 01:09 PM

Yesterday at this point it was 100 degrees in San Mateo. Today, it's 83. Lower is better.

big john 09-07-22 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22639462)
Yesterday at this point it was 100 degrees in San Mateo. Today, it's 83. Lower is better.

We're supposed to get some relief on Saturday when a tropical storm comes by. It's been awful here. A long time since it's been this bad, even hot overnight.

gnome 09-07-22 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22639327)
I took the mtb and rode the back streets to the dirt area I like to play. I passed at least 5 schools as the student were being dropped off. That will keep you on your toes, dealing with frazzled parents lined up to drop the kids and get back in the traffic lane. No horns were honked, no obscenities hollered, no fingers extended. Still, a little sketchy.

I pass three schools and the associated drop-offs on my daily commute. It is teh most stressful part of the ride. even more than the buses. I've had one close call, close enough to stop and knock on the window of the car and embarass the mum by telling her she nearly hit me in front of her kids.

genejockey 09-07-22 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22639497)
We're supposed to get some relief on Saturday when a tropical storm comes by. It's been awful here. A long time since it's been this bad, even hot overnight.

Based on all the new record temps hereabouts, I don't think it's EVER been this bad here. 116 in Sac'to yesterday.

But no rolling blackouts! I read that a lot of the demand was filled by solar, or we'd have been trying to buy power on the open market. I'm now thinking that solar panels and a battery storage system may well be worth the investment.

I saw something unexpected this morning - the CA ISO that runs the grid suggested "pre-cooling" your house to below 70 before 4 PM then setting the temp to 78 after to cut peak usage. I thought we were supposed to set the temp to 78 for AC all the time! It's moot for us, of course. Like most people who live on the Peninsula, we have no AC.

Eric F 09-07-22 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by mschwett (Post 22639176)
Wordle 445 3/6

⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

decent streak going since The Defeat. 3, 2, 3, 3 i think?

4/6 for me today, Yesterday, I lucked out with a 3/3 on a day when a lot of people struggled. Monday, I got stuck and never finished :(

big john 09-07-22 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22639513)
Based on all the new record temps hereabouts, I don't think it's EVER been this bad here. 116 in Sac'to yesterday.

But no rolling blackouts! I read that a lot of the demand was filled by solar, or we'd have been trying to buy power on the open market. I'm now thinking that solar panels and a battery storage system may well be worth the investment.

I saw something unexpected this morning - the CA ISO that runs the grid suggested "pre-cooling" your house to below 70 before 4 PM then setting the temp to 78 after to cut peak usage. I thought we were supposed to set the temp to 78 for AC all the time! It's moot for us, of course. Like most people who live on the Peninsula, we have no AC.

I lived in the mountains north of here for 4+ years, our house was at 6000 feet. We had no a/c and never needed it. I think we only left a window open at night a few times. It's probably hotter there these days but I still dream about moving back there. I worry now about a fire going through there and the water comes from a well which could become a problem.
A friend of mine lived in the hills northeast of here and he spent thousands on dry wells and gave up finding water. Instead, he had water trucked in by a service. The service took care of the tank and kept it topped off.

genejockey 09-07-22 02:21 PM

The Schwinn Circuit frame I bought last week has arrived. And here I am at work, and I can't even open the box!!

This is just a frame, with no fork. It's a 23" frame, vs. the 22" I currently have, which is too small, even with extra-long seatpost and 130mm stem. The bars are just too low. Of course, I can't just swap in the fork from the 22" frame, since the head tube is probably an inch shorter. At the C&V ride, it was suggested to me that a framebuilder might be able to replace or augment the steerer tube, but I suspect that might turn out to be kinda pricey. So then there's the other frame on Ebay, which is a 24". The fork from that could be cut down and threaded to fit, probably a lot cheaper than trying to lengthen the one from the 22" frame.

Decisions, decisions. Of course, first I have to figure out if the frame I just bought is All That.

sshakari 09-07-22 03:44 PM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d9b048990.jpeg
Arriving this friday. Looking for build suggestions..... thinking towards 105 and Hson wheels.