Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

LAJ 11-12-21 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22304985)
I feel like I'm starting to come around on the trainer. Rode two of the London maps (going after bonus experience points by covering routes that I haven't ridden) and had decent efforts (right around my outdoor FTP) in both the 10 and 20 minute range (Box Hill and TTing the Greater London Flat route, respectively).

Oh, and this was the first time firing up the fake TT bike. They fly. I should get one IRL :p

IKR?

25 mph for an hour.... It's a good goal to shoot for.

WhyFi 11-12-21 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22305027)
IKR?

25 mph for an hour.... It's a good goal to shoot for.

I really feel like I should get a halfway decent fat bike first... and then maybe a fun casual, plain-clothes bike... and then maybe a TT bike.

I really just need all the bikes. All of 'em. :o

mvnsnd 11-12-21 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22304985)
I feel like I'm starting to come around on the trainer. Rode two of the London maps (going after bonus experience points by covering routes that I haven't ridden) and had decent efforts (right around my outdoor FTP) in both the 10 and 20 minute range (Box Hill and TTing the Greater London Flat route, respectively).

Oh, and this was the first time firing up the fake TT bike. They fly. I should get one IRL :p

Now's the time to register for Zwiftpower and get yourself set up so that you can see just how well you compare if you ever decide to do one of the events on Zwift. Like a race or the Tour of Zwift. ;) Or even just a casual group ride (cough-cough)

https://zwiftpower.com/

bampilot06 11-12-21 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22305033)
I really feel like I should get a halfway decent fat bike first... and then maybe a fun casual, plain-clothes bike... and then maybe a TT bike.

you can’t have all the bikes, I want all the bikes.

indyfabz 11-12-21 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22304918)
Currently participating in the quintessential activity that does not require much in the way of smarts.

Running?

rjones28 11-12-21 12:12 PM

Who can argue with this?

rjones28 11-12-21 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22305064)
Running?

It's not Winter yet.

Mojo31 11-12-21 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22305062)
you can’t have all the bikes, I want all the bikes.

I just want one

More.

bampilot06 11-12-21 12:19 PM

So I think I might have figured the knocking noise.

Two things. Might be the valve washer, it was loose when I took the wheel off.

Or maybe my rear wheel is out of tension and the wheel was flexing.

It’s not knocking on the trainer.

WhyFi 11-12-21 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by mvnsnd (Post 22305056)
Now's the time to register for Zwiftpower and get yourself set up so that you can see just how well you compare if you ever decide to do one of the events on Zwift. Like a race or the Tour of Zwift. ;) Or even just a casual group ride (cough-cough)

https://zwiftpower.com/

Okay - I registered.

So, uh, what the hell did I register for? :o

Eric F 11-12-21 12:31 PM

Well...duh. N+1, and all that.

datlas 11-12-21 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22305078)
Okay - I registered.

Look away from the light! LOOK AWAY FROM THE LIGHT!!

Eric F 11-12-21 12:37 PM

A rare vacation day yesterday where I got a chance to do my own stuff for a small window of time. I did the right thing and went for a ride with a good friend. It's the first time I've been on my bike outdoors in about a month, and was twice as long as I've ridden during that same time frame. About 1:15 into my 2 hour ride, I could feel myself start to bump up against my endurance threshold. We weren't pushing a hard pace, and it wasn't a particularly demanding route, but it was enough to really stretch my current sad level of fitness. All that said, it was really good to be out on the bike again. No softball games for my daughter this weekend, and I'm hopeful to get in a MTB ride.

seedsbelize2 11-12-21 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22304920)

White oak

seedsbelize2 11-12-21 12:47 PM

I went out on the Ironman this morning. A sweet bike. Fastest time on that particular route. Fastest average and top speed. I'm glad I gave it another shot.

mvnsnd 11-12-21 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22305078)
Okay - I registered.

It originally started as a way to see actual power / HR and classify riders ability level on Zwift, for sandbagging purposes. Making sure especially racing was done at the correct level per W/kg ability. It's since been taken over by Zwift, but I haven't seen much in the way of changes. It gives some nice information about your event ride and other riders in the same event when you do an event.

As you do events / races, it will generate a minimum level for you and a power profile and some other neat stuff.

WhyFi 11-12-21 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by mvnsnd (Post 22305111)
It originally started as a way to see actual power / HR and classify riders ability level on Zwift, for sandbagging purposes. Making sure especially racing was done at the correct level per W/kg ability. It's since been taken over by Zwift, but I haven't seen much in the way of changes. It gives some nice information about your event ride and other riders in the same event when you do an event.

As you do events / races, it will generate a minimum level for you and a power profile and some other neat stuff.

Ah, okay. Yeah, I haven't looked in to any races, but assumed that I'd be put in to the B's and then get promptly shelled. I might do that as I get more bored and desperate over the winter.

genejockey 11-12-21 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22305007)
A great deal of experience says a slice of plastic water bottle works much better. More grab.

I don't think there'd have been room for it! I mean, a 27.4 is a REAL tight fit!

bampilot06 11-12-21 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22305117)
Ah, okay. Yeah, I haven't looked in to any races, but assumed that I'd be put in to the B's and then get promptly shelled. I might do that as I get more bored and desperate over the winter.

Its interesting how big of a difference between C and D felt. C was fine if my legs were not already tired before I got started. Ended up breaking off with a group and we stayed steadily ahead of the pace maker.

D is sooooo slow. It’s nice for recovery though.

Im tempted to try B when I’m rested to see how long I can hold on.

So with the days I have left to ride this year which is a real rough estimate because I don’t know what will happen when I am done with training. Looking like I need 48 miles a day.

genejockey 11-12-21 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22304969)
Googling stock photos?

Stock photos?
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d7e1625945.jpg

genejockey 11-12-21 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22305076)
So I think I might have figured the knocking noise.

Two things. Might be the valve washer, it was loose when I took the wheel off.

Or maybe my rear wheel is out of tension and the wheel was flexing.

It’s not knocking on the trainer.

I was experiencing a knocking/rattling on Mrs. Peel. It was the front hub. Too much play. So I spent about 20 minutes or more adjusting the cones, trying to reach the Goldilocks Point - "This adjustment is TOO LOOSE (*wobble,wobble*). This adjustment is TOO TIGHT (*grind,grind*). This adjustment is TOO LOOSE, again..." Lather, rinse, repeat.

datlas 11-12-21 01:04 PM

Hey indyfabz do you work for Conrail? There is a set of super-hazardous tracks in West Chester that cross 842. They are not only at a bad angle, but there are huge gaps between the pavement and the rails. Feel free to PM me but is there any way to rattle the powers that be to try to make this safer?

genejockey 11-12-21 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22305120)
Its interesting how big of a difference between C and D felt. C was fine if my legs were not already tired before I got started. Ended up breaking off with a group and we stayed steadily ahead of the pace maker.

D is sooooo slow. It’s nice for recovery though.

Im tempted to try B when I’m rested to see how long I can hold on.

So with the days I have left to ride this year which is a real rough estimate because I don’t know what will happen when I am done with training. Looking like I need 48 miles a day.

HEY!! Some of us are IN that category! King of the Dips**ts here!

mvnsnd 11-12-21 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22305117)

Just do a few of the bigger 1-5W/kg open events, E, I think. You'll settle with a group that you can hang with. See how that goes.
If you want to race, start with the C group, (I think up to 3.1W/kg) and see how you do. I've only done one "race", a Crit City B over a year ago. It was a full all out 20 min FTP test. :eek:
(I should try to do them more often too, lol)

Edit: Some of the events are A-B-C, but that could also be distance, not power level. The tour of Zwift is like this. A might be a ~40 mile ride, where B is ~30 and C is !18 or something like that. Then you just hang with whoever you can keep up with.

big john 11-12-21 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22305122)

Photos of stock.