Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

Velognome 11-14-12 09:52 AM

More work :(....I've got a few really heavy seatposts that are a snug fit, plus they come tappered!

PalmettoUpstate 11-14-12 11:29 AM

New Additions to the Family

1 Attachment(s)
New additions to the family - all procured in the last 6-8 months.

Front to back with brief notes...

AMF Hercules - built by Raleigh in Nottingham [needs more work but very sound; paid $35]
BSA - built by Raleigh in Nottingham [This sweet beauty needs a chainguard... was amazed at how nice she is beneath the Colorado patina! Paid $30]
Schwinn Breeze - built in Chicago [probably will part her out; removed a nice SA AW which more than justified $25 purchase price]
Columbia Sports III - built in Massachusetts [probably will part her out; has a nice SA AW which more than justifies $20 purchase price]

FWIW, this thread and the BBTE3S [Bring Back the English 3-Speed] thread quickly got me up to speed on these bikes so that I could make informed buying decisions and maximize this most excellent of pursuits. Thanks to all who have contributed and please see the next post I make with a couple of more shots of these bikes and brief notes that I hope are useful to people getting involved with these great lightweight bicycles.

:thumb:

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=283751

PalmettoUpstate 11-14-12 11:45 AM

4 Attachment(s)
1. AMF Hercules headbadge
2. AMF Hercules chainguard
3. Schwinn & Columbia headbadges
4. Rampar [Raleigh] saddle that was to the best of my knowledge original equipment on the AMF Hercules

noglider 11-14-12 01:38 PM

Congratulations, w1xq, and welcome.

Velognome, if you believe the bend to be caused by fatigue, that probably means the frame is not safe. But I'll bet it was a crash or other abuse and that it is not fatigued.

noglider 11-14-12 01:56 PM

Congratulations, PalmettoUpstate.

If I remember right, Rampar was a name that Raleigh started using in the mid or late 70's. More likely that it was a replacement saddle purchased at a Raleigh bike shop.

Velognome 11-14-12 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 14948008)

Velognome, if you believe the bend to be caused by fatigue, that probably means the frame is not safe. But I'll bet it was a crash or other abuse and that it is not fatigued.

Steve checked it out, the bend is typical of loop frames, it's safe. It's hardly noticable and doesn't effect the aligment. I know it there so it's gonna get fixed.

PalmettoUpstate 11-14-12 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 14948097)
Congratulations, PalmettoUpstate.

Thank you!

If I remember right, Rampar was a name that Raleigh started using in the mid or late 70's. More likely that it was a replacement saddle purchased at a Raleigh bike shop.

I'll check the date on the hub. From my knowledge of the source, I'd be surprised if the saddle was a replacement. Of course, stranger things have happened....

BTW, didn't you put the original info on this thread about the "Google Alerts?" If so, I wanna say thanks again; they have been invaluable in expanding my knowledge base. Of course, being in the hinterlands, it sorta PO's me to see all of the neat stuff that passes thru CL in NYC, Chicago, and especially Boston-Cambridge. Oh well.

BTW, I'm gonna do that BSA and that Hercules up like what you see on Post 687.

badmother 11-14-12 03:02 PM

This is a comon sign of a steptrough frame used by a too heavy rider, not a crash. Carefully forcing it back and strengthening it with a tube innside sounds fine to my ear, but maybe post about it in the framebuilders forums?

slowtostart 11-14-12 03:11 PM

What are the chances of finding the missing part to this chaincase within hours of finalizing the sale? It just arrived from the UK and appears to be a perfect match.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/...psd69df71f.jpg

JohnDThompson 11-14-12 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 14948097)

"RAMPAR" is a contraction of "Raleigh AMerica PARts" and began as a means of supplying aftermarket parts to the North American market.

auchencrow 11-14-12 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by slowtostart (Post 14948406)
What are the chances of finding the missing part to this chaincase within hours of finalizing the sale? It just arrived from the UK and appears to be a perfect match.

The chances were just 1:1,786,389,122.

Of course, you could have used that chance on a lottery ticket, but I am happy for you that you are satisfied with the chain-case cover instead.;)

Seriously, that is a great find and will really will make a wonderful difference for a seriously cool looking bike.

slowtostart 11-14-12 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by auchencrow (Post 14948641)
The chances were just 1:1,786,389,122.

Of course, you could have used that chance on a lottery ticket, but I am happy for you that you are satisfied with the chain-case cover instead.;)

Seriously, that is a great find and will really will make a wonderful difference for a seriously cool looking bike.

Do men ride bicycles with cream color tires? Or, should cream be reserved for your coffee? I have visions of those tires and a Brooks saddle dancing in my head. Any other suggestions?

auchencrow 11-14-12 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by slowtostart (Post 14948713)
Do men ride bicycles with cream color tires? Or, should cream be reserved for your coffee? I have visions of those tires and a Brooks saddle dancing in my head. Any other suggestions?

I take my coffee black, but if you like cream in your coffee go for it.:thumb:

w1xq 11-14-12 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by CycleRail (Post 14946808)
Great find!

I know, especially for Texas!!

w1xq 11-14-12 07:32 PM

Thanks Tom!

PalmettoUpstate 11-14-12 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by wahoonc (Post 12782744)
Here is a better picture :D...Tires, or Fat Tire...don't make me choose!

Aaron :)
http://inlinethumb59.webshots.com/16...600x600Q85.jpg

Aaron you said this is a Sports; I don't see the pump bosses; what gives? [or is it an LTD-3?]

BTW, this is the most "justified" grocery getter I have ever seen.

Oddly enuff, New Belgium AND Sierra Nevada are building new breweries about 40-50 miles from where I sit. I can tell already that I'm gonna be checking out the bike recycle co-op in Asheville agin.... LOL.

Seriously, a great yoeman bike you have there. Is that a Wald basket on the front and, if so, do you mind telling me which one?

Tx

akcapbikeforums 11-14-12 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by PalmettoUpstate (Post 14949609)
Aaron you said this is a Sports; I don't see the pump bosses; what gives? [or is it an LTD-3?]

Before Aaron chimes in: before the LTD came the Standard or S-22, sans pump bosses, headlight mount, and saddle bag... and with Endricks. The details show up at the bottom of the SPORTS page of the 1970 catalog, for example.

At least some of the S22 models were made in Malaysia... as with Aaron's and mine:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...49398552_n.jpg

wahoonc 11-15-12 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by PalmettoUpstate (Post 14949609)

BTW, this is the most "justified" grocery getter I have ever seen.

Oddly enuff, New Belgium AND Sierra Nevada are building new breweries about 40-50 miles from where I sit. I can tell already that I'm gonna be checking out the bike recycle co-op in Asheville agin.... LOL.

Seriously, a great yoeman bike you have there. Is that a Wald basket on the front and, if so, do you mind telling me which one?

Tx

As akacapbikeforums pointed out it is the S22 which was referred to as the Sports Standard. Mine is a Malaysian built model. It has somewhere well past 35,000 documented miles on it. The front basket is a medium Wald 139 and just about perfect size IMHO. I have been watching the brewery expansion plans, Asheville is a 5 hour or so drive for me but I do get vacation time and the mountains are usually cooler than the coast in the heat of summer. ;)

That is not the correct fork, my brother crashed the bike when he had it at college and they had a Herc they were parting out at the time. Eventually I may find a proper fork for it, then again I may not. :P

Aaron :)

Schwinnsta 11-15-12 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Velognome (Post 14946983)
Yes, it is a weak point in the design. A very complete examination and measurements on a frame builders table confirmed that.

Usually you see fine cracks or worse from fatigue. That has been my experience, though not with bikes. If you don't see cracks and there is a bend, then the steel has yielded. If you get several cycles of yielding in the same area that fatigues the steel much more quickly and you will get cracks.

I would straighten it and not worry too much about it. Go with a nice steel seat post. The nice thing about steel is that it does yield and that is warning sign. Many other materials can fail suddenly.

Velognome 11-15-12 07:40 PM

^ Pretty much what my frame building, LBS owning, wine making, beer drinking friend said too. ;)

gna 11-15-12 08:01 PM

I bought a set of Cream Delta Cruisers for my wife, and a set of black with whitewall for me. My wife preferred the whitewalls, so guess what I got?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Y...0/DSCN2897.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-j...ag%2520002.jpg

yellowbarber 11-15-12 10:16 PM

I rode my path racer conversion on the cream Delta cruisers all summer long. Some of us dudes think they look great on a black bike.

http://www.bikeforums.net/attachment...8&d=1337312678

noglider 11-16-12 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by PalmettoUpstate (Post 14948251)
I'll check the date on the hub. From my knowledge of the source, I'd be surprised if the saddle was a replacement. Of course, stranger things have happened....

BTW, didn't you put the original info on this thread about the "Google Alerts?" If so, I wanna say thanks again; they have been invaluable in expanding my knowledge base. Of course, being in the hinterlands, it sorta PO's me to see all of the neat stuff that passes thru CL in NYC, Chicago, and especially Boston-Cambridge. Oh well.

BTW, I'm gonna do that BSA and that Hercules up like what you see on Post 687.

Yes, I often tell people about google alerts. It's a mighty fine tool. I kept it a secret for a while, because I thought it would give people the same edge I had in finding stuff for sale, but I changed my mind, and now I mention it whenever it's appropriate. Glad it helps. I have dozens of alerts for myself about many different things.

akcapbikeforums 11-17-12 07:03 AM

Along the lines of google alerts, do you guys ever use any of the Craigslist "aggregator" search engines? SearchTEMPEST is my favorite... it's addictive.

Patrick :thumb:

PalmettoUpstate 11-17-12 03:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 14956525)
Yes, I often tell people about google alerts. It's a mighty fine tool. I kept it a secret for a while, because I thought it would give people the same edge I had in finding stuff for sale, but I changed my mind, and now I mention it whenever it's appropriate. Glad it helps. I have dozens of alerts for myself about many different things.

Yeah, it's weird...

I had been using Google Alerts for years but I never thought of using it that way.

Oddly, I just executed on getting a nice DL-1 for my wife today and I found it in an Atlanta suburb but it had never popped up on Google Alerts I'd set up either for "DL-1" or the alert for "3-speed". Go figure...

BTW, I thinks that you were correct about that saddle on the AMF Hercules...

From what I see here: http://www.kurtkaminer.com/TH_raleigh_catdata.html#1970 it appears that Raleigh didn't start using the Rampar name until the late 70's and the AW hub on the bike is a '72.

Good lick!http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=284282

PalmettoUpstate 11-17-12 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by slowtostart (Post 14948406)

That's a beauty indeed.

You still have some rust to take off metallic but not-chromed parts. [Like the end plates on the pedals; showing rust brown in your photo]

I have had good results with rotary tool [Dreml-type] wire brushes and I found a tip on them that should make them last longer and I may get to try it out tomorrow...

Use Super Glue on both sides of the wires at the base of the shafts; see review from September 24, 2012 here: http://www.amazon.com/Anytime-Tools-...owViewpoints=1

slowtostart 11-17-12 04:54 PM

[QUOTE=PalmettoUpstate;14959084]That's a beauty indeed.

You still have some rust to take off metallic but not-chromed parts. [Like the end plates on the pedals; showing rust brown in your photo]

I have had good results with rotary tool [Dreml-type] wire brushes and I found a tip on them that should make them last longer and I may get to try it out tomorrow...

Use Super Glue on both sides of the wires at the base of the shafts; see review from September 24, 2012 here: [url]http://www.amazon.com/Anytime-Tools-BRUSH-WHEEL-Stainless/product-reviews/B000HWRU9U/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1[/

That picture was taken, in the rain, upon arrival at my home. I had not yet committed to any purchase. I made an offer based on advice given here and it was accepted. For better or worse, I own this creature.

A beauty, really? I'm a carbon fiber, Dura-Ace girl who came over to the vintage side with a $20 Sprite just over a year ago. I think the CL lister would have taken $10, but I had a $20 dollar bill in my pocket and became starry eyed when I saw the Dynohub and lights draped over it. I was hooked, but soon realized that Sprites were looked down upon here and began searching for more worthy ones. No more "gas pipes" for me.

The missing part I just purchased for the mystery bicycle chain case is a perfect fit. Simple pleasures really are the best. There is a remnant on the front fender of a mudguard. Why is this sort of discovery so exciting? No white tail and remnants of a mudguard, what is this thing with 26 inch tires and rod brakes?

As I've said in the past, my learning curve is massive. I muddle through and always appreciate any advice given here. I have a Dremel tool and will enlist it.

Many thanks to all of you.

PalmettoUpstate 11-17-12 05:38 PM

[QUOTE=slowtostart;14959195]

Originally Posted by PalmettoUpstate (Post 14959084)
As I've said in the past, my learning curve is massive. I muddle through and always appreciate any advice given here. I have a Dremel tool and will enlist it.

Many thanks to all of you.

Watch those wire brushes on the rotary tool; they shed wire slivers pretty regularly and it only gets worse as the brush degrades. Eye protection is a must! Nonetheless, I haven't found a better way to clean hard to reach places.

I sure wish I could find a gent's DL-1 for $20; great find!

Elad63 11-17-12 05:54 PM

A great find slowtostart, would love to look at it in person.

slowtostart 11-17-12 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Elad63 (Post 14959310)
A great find slowtostart, would love to look at it in person.

Elad, I would welcome your advice!