Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Professional Cycling For the Fans (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   The new Eddy Merckx... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1194490)

one4smoke 02-23-20 11:36 AM

The new Eddy Merckx...

...Remco Evenepoel. This kid is the real deal boys! Wins the Volta ao Algarve GC in dominant fashion, besting Rohan Dennis in the ITT Stage 5 finale.

Remco Evenepoel (Bel) Deceuninck-Quickstep 0:24:08
Rohan Dennis (Aus) Team Ineos 0:24:17

https://www.cyclingnews.com/races/vo...5/live-report/

Rajflyboy 02-23-20 01:05 PM

Van Der Poel

that’s my pick :thumb:

:p

one4smoke 02-23-20 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rajflyboy (Post 21339351)
Van Der Poel

As I said in another thread, Van der Poel is gonna pick up where Sagan leaves off. He's more of a Classics racer and sprinter in certain situations, like Sagan.

I look for Van der Poel to win the Paris Roubaix his first time in it.

one4smoke 02-23-20 03:46 PM

Great interview...

https://www.velonews.com/2020/02/new...-to-win_505216

OBoile 02-24-20 09:06 AM

It's pretty crazy what he's doing. Assuming the Giro actually happens, I'm really excited to see what he can do.

MinnMan 02-24-20 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by OBoile (Post 21340463)
It's pretty crazy what he's doing. Assuming the Giro actually happens, I'm really excited to see what he can do.

We could be in for a very tough year and bike racing would only be a tiny part of the loss. Let's hope this thing subsides very soon.....

Rajflyboy 02-24-20 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by one4smoke (Post 21339378)
As I said in another thread, Van der Poel is gonna pick up where Sagan leaves off. He's more of a Classics racer and sprinter in certain situations, like Sagan.

I look for Van der Poel to win the Paris Roubaix his first time in it.

amen brother 👍

I love Sagan too 👍

one4smoke 02-24-20 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by MinnMan (Post 21340495)
We could be in for a very tough year and bike racing would only be a tiny part of the loss. Let's hope this thing subsides very soon.....

https://www.velonews.com/2020/02/new...at-risk_505365

roadwarrior 02-25-20 08:21 AM

What am I missing?

Former Euro teammates have no clue on this.

Thanks.

roadwarrior 02-25-20 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by roadwarrior (Post 21341874)
What am I missing?

Former Euro teammates have no clue on this.

Thanks.

Oh...Coronavirus. The handful of guys I used to race with were "huh?"

MinnMan 02-25-20 09:28 AM

WIth some hope that life in Italy and elsewhere will return to normal, I'll address the original premise.

There will never be another Eddy Merckx. Racing is too different now - as some have already pointed out - too many races, talent coming from too many parts of the world (think, Colombia...), too much specialization. That kind of mantle is an unreasonable expectation on this great young man.

He's the next Remco Evenpoel, and that's more than enough

one4smoke 02-25-20 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by MinnMan (Post 21341961)
WIth some hope that life in Italy and elsewhere will return to normal, I'll address the original premise.

There will never be another Eddy Merckx. Racing is too different now - as some have already pointed out - too many races, talent coming from too many parts of the world (think, Colombia...), too much specialization. That kind of mantle is an unreasonable expectation on this great young man.

He's the next Remco Evenpoel, and that's more than enough

But saying it like that just isn't as much fun! :eek:

When you make a comparison like that ...it's not really a comparison. It's just a way of expressing just how good someone may be. You take the known best, and use them as the compliment. It's like seeing a really good up and coming basketball player and saying he's the next Michael Jordan. Do you really think everything about him is like Jordan? No. But you definitely see star power like Jordon had.

Now, I do think there are certain similarities in the two rider's racing styles. And I do think Evenepoel will be dominant in the sport. Maybe not to the extent of Merckx, but dominant nonetheless.

Will after Remco's career will he be known as the greatest cyclist of all time, moving Merckx to second? I seriously doubt it. But as my grandad used to say; "There never was a horse that couldn't be rode, and there never was a rider that couldn't be throwed." ;)

one4smoke 02-25-20 09:35 PM

He's made a fan for life out of me by beating Rohan Dennis straight up in the ITT last Sunday. Not to mention winning the stage and securing the overall. :beer:

MinnMan 02-25-20 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by one4smoke (Post 21343008)
But saying it like that just isn't as much fun! :eek:

Yeah, I can ruin pretty much any party.

DiabloScott 02-26-20 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by MinnMan (Post 21341961)
There will never be another Eddy Merckx.

Correct... but there will perpetually be someone who is "The NEXT Eddy Merckx"

ThermionicScott 02-26-20 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by DiabloScott (Post 21343872)
Correct... but there will perpetually be someone who is "The NEXT Eddy Merckx"

Remco is the next NEXT Eddy Merckx. For now. :lol:

Martin_T 02-26-20 05:46 PM

:thumb:

Martin_T 02-26-20 05:48 PM

that's correct man

AlgarveCycling 06-02-20 10:09 AM

The Volta is literally on my doorstep - went past my house last year and this year in my town again, as it often is. I saw a couple of stages, including the Foia one Remco won. Missed the last stage because I had an MTB race on that day.

Amazing talent though. He is definitely one to watch. I ride up to Foia often, his time is very quick.

hrdknox1 06-02-20 01:35 PM

Many more factors level the playing field today, and because of it you may never see anyone again dominate like Eddie Merckx. Today more advanced training, better talent, and versatile topography make it harder.

ZHVelo 06-06-20 03:47 PM

His position on the bike is insane. I think he gains quite a few watts compared to other rides due to it.

AMGwagon 06-10-20 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by one4smoke (Post 21339260)
...Remco Evenepoel. This kid is the real deal boys!

Watch his performance in Jr World road race in 2018... insane.

Flip Flop Rider 06-10-20 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by one4smoke (Post 21339260)
...Remco Evenepoel. This kid is the real deal boys! Wins the Volta ao Algarve GC in dominant fashion, besting Rohan Dennis in the ITT Stage 5 finale.

Remco Evenepoel (Bel) Deceuninck-Quickstep 0:24:08
Rohan Dennis (Aus) Team Ineos 0:24:17

https://www.cyclingnews.com/races/vo...5/live-report/

strong statement. When he rides the tour and has the yellow, polka dot, and green jersey's for the entire tour, THEN he will be the next Eddy Merckx!

ZHVelo 06-10-20 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider (Post 21525727)
strong statement. When he rides the tour and has the yellow, polka dot, and green jersey's for the entire tour, THEN he will be the next Eddy Merckx!

I don't think that is a fair requirement. Times change.

Prodigy4299 07-17-20 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Rajflyboy (Post 21339351)
Van Der Poel

What I love about Van Der Poel is that he seems to have so much love for the bike. Every time I see him in a race, I am reminded why I love biking myself. (As opposed to the Carlos Sastre types whose mantra is "it's not easy" ad nauseum. I loved the guy, but he never looked like he was enjoying bike racing.)