Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Floor pump came apart , Serfas FP-50 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1263639)

Arthur Peabody 11-23-22 01:22 PM

Floor pump came apart , Serfas FP-50

My floor pump came off its base yesterday. The screws that held the base to the shaft had never been screwed into their holes. The base has 3 pairs of holes, not symmetric with the shaft - the shaft had been installed backwards; the screws had a little purchase against the side of the shaft. I'm surprised it held so long. Serfas FP-50, bought 2009 November 14.

veganbikes 11-23-22 01:51 PM

Serfas used to have a lifetime warranty. Before we finally dropped them we were frequently warrantying a lot of pumps usually at least one per week. You might see if they can replace it but I would just go for a Topeak pump.

smd4 11-23-22 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by veganbikes (Post 22719243)
I would just go for a Topeak pump.

Or even better, a Silca!

DiabloScott 11-23-22 10:26 PM

I had a couple Topeaks that broke too. My Serfas FP200 I bought in 2016 and still works great… early problem with the gauge was warrantied.

zandoval 11-23-22 11:19 PM

Hey man... You can fix it...

Arthur Peabody 11-24-22 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by veganbikes (Post 22719243)
Serfas used to have a lifetime warranty. Before we finally dropped them we were frequently warrantying a lot of pumps usually at least one per week. You might see if they can replace it .

Originally Posted by DiabloScott (Post 22719653)
I had a couple Topeaks that broke too. My Serfas FP200 I bought in 2016 and still works great… early problem with the gauge was warrantied.

I kept the tag, which promises a lifetime warranty, and the receipt. How do I invoke the warranty? It's not worth shipping anywhere.

Originally Posted by zandoval (Post 22719701)
Hey man... You can fix it...

Of course I fixed it. I thought that was obvious. All I had to do was rotate it 180°; the screw holes are unused. In addition I glued it. The point of my post was that they made this mistake in manufacture.

veganbikes 11-24-22 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody (Post 22719963)
I kept the tag, which promises a lifetime warranty, and the receipt. How do I invoke the warranty? It's not worth shipping anywhere.

Of course I fixed it. I thought that was obvious. All I had to do was rotate it 180°; the screw holes are unused. In addition I glued it. The point of my post was that they made this mistake in manufacture.

You can take it to your local shop that sold it or that sells Serfas or just reach out to them and they can probably guide you. We were a stocking dealer so we just reached out to the rep or maybe directly via email it has been a while but most companies have some way of reaching out and in the end they will direct you pretty well on what to do or just say hey we can handle that if no shops in the area. It is worth a shot and if nothing else you took a couple minutes to write an email or head down to the LBS and at the best you will have a new pump from them.

Good luck!