Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

MoAlpha 11-04-21 03:46 PM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22296069)
Explains mucho. Present company excluded, of course.

I read somewhere that people had identified genetic variations linked to enjoyment of exercise. What I don't remember is if they controlled for trait neuroticism (tendency to depression and anxiety), which is strongly heritable and a big part of what keeps me doing it to excess.

BillyD 11-04-21 03:47 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22295968)

Next time you make a sammich, try either olive oil or, for a special treat, PESTO sauce instead. Do it now and thank me later.

True, oil & vinegar on an Italian combo is delish, but too messy when not at home.

indyfabz 11-04-21 03:50 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22296118)
My wife make the observation a few months ago that runners never look like they're having a good time while running.

The survey wasn’t limited to running/runners.

BillyD 11-04-21 03:52 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22295985)
Mayo and hot sauce can be great on the right sandwiches, too. Since we're talkin' low-cal, lighter fare, something like a fried shrimp sandwich is a great vehicle for mayo + hot sauce.

I've never had one of those, although it sounds like a po-boy.

MoAlpha 11-04-21 03:57 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22296118)
My wife make the observation a few months ago that runners never look like they're having a good time while running.

Trained, efficient, runners look as happy as roadies and, having been one, I was just as happy out for a good run (when I was relatively injury free :innocent:) as on a bike. However, there are so many people with painful looking, inefficient, gaits and weird mannerisms that I pretty much agree.

Eric F 11-04-21 04:13 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22296153)
Trained, efficient, runners look as happy as roadies and, having been one, I was just as happy out for a good run (when I was relatively injury free :innocent:) as on a bike. However, there are so many people with painful looking, inefficient, gaits and weird mannerisms that I pretty much agree.

I was rolling along with the small group of buddies, enjoying an easy tempo and a good chat. Approaching us on our side of the road was a female runner. She had the gait of an experienced runner, and her face told the story of discomfort. Moments later, a female cyclist pedaled by on the opposite side of the road, wearing a big smile. Anecdotal, to be sure, but it still exemplifies Mrs. F's observation.

genejockey 11-04-21 04:26 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22296173)
I was rolling along with the small group of buddies, enjoying an easy tempo and a good chat. Approaching us on our side of the road was a female runner. She had the gait of an experienced runner, and her face told the story of discomfort. Moments later, a female cyclist pedaled by on the opposite side of the road, wearing a big smile. Anecdotal, to be sure, but it still exemplifies Mrs. F's observation.

Whether or not I'm looking happy or unhappy while on the bike is generally a function of power output and the duration of that effort, so I'm not sure you can base too much on facial expression.

Eric F 11-04-21 04:31 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22296193)
Whether or not I'm looking happy or unhappy while on the bike is generally a function of power output and the duration of that effort, so I'm not sure you can base too much on facial expression.

i get that. No one smiles when they are suffering. I still haven't seen a runner smile...ever.

genejockey 11-04-21 04:35 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22296197)
i get that. No one smiles when they are suffering. I still haven't seen a runner smile...ever.

There's no coasting in running.

I used to run when I was a ute, and I can tell you that I was having fun, especially at times when I probably looked unhappy, or at least not happy.

WhyFi 11-04-21 04:35 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22296142)
I am pretty sure we have decided that running is stupid.

On that note, I saw this yesterday - new record for an ultra-dumb running event. You've gotta run a four mile loop at the top of the hour, last person left wins. This dude did it 85 consecutive hours. :twitchy:

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_bri...racing-running

Eric F 11-04-21 04:43 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22296199)
There's no coasting in running.

I used to run when I was a ute, and I can tell you that I was having fun, especially at times when I probably looked unhappy, or at least not happy.

Right. That was my wife's observation, and I agree...no one LOOKS like they are having fun while running.

I spent a small window of time running, and did quite enjoy trail running, especially.

WhyFi 11-04-21 04:45 PM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22296149)
I've never had one of those, although it sounds like a po-boy.

That's one of 'em. I also used to get 'em at the Dominican place on the corner in Brooklyn. You know, when I wasn't in the mood for a pernil sandwich (man, could I go for one of those:love:)

genejockey 11-04-21 04:49 PM

Apparently Peloton's earnings call wasn't a roaring success.....

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...786480502d.jpg

Eric F 11-04-21 04:51 PM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22296148)
The survey wasn’t limited to running/runners.

Good thing. It would have been a much higher number! :roflmao2:

MoAlpha 11-04-21 04:54 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22296173)
I was rolling along with the small group of buddies, enjoying an easy tempo and a good chat. Approaching us on our side of the road was a female runner. She had the gait of an experienced runner, and her face told the story of discomfort. Moments later, a female cyclist pedaled by on the opposite side of the road, wearing a big smile. Anecdotal, to be sure, but it still exemplifies Mrs. F's observation.

Yeah, all it takes is one bad tendon. :cry:

seedsbelize2 11-04-21 04:55 PM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22295874)
Have a little saturated fat with your sammich! That bad boy would be busted down to at least thirds, and be my lunch sammich for three or four days. Raw veggies, fruits, and admittedly, too many nuts, make up the rest of it.

Unpossible

genejockey 11-04-21 04:57 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22296205)
Right. That was my wife's observation, and I agree...no one LOOKS like they are having fun while running.

I spent a small window of time running, and did quite enjoy trail running, especially.

When I was a ute, I enjoyed it a lot, mostly I think because I was in shape for it and pounding out the miles made me feel strong. When I was older, the times I started running again, I never reached the point where it was enjoyable. It mostly made me feel old and fat - which is reasonable, since that's what I was.

seedsbelize2 11-04-21 04:58 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22295941)
Winner! And we can still say pricks.

And speaking of pricks, I got my flu shot today.

seedsbelize2 11-04-21 05:06 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22296118)
My wife make the observation a few months ago that runners never look like they're having a good time while running.

The payoff with running is the high after you stop. They look like they're not enjoying themselves because they're concentrating on the end.

Velo Vol 11-04-21 05:07 PM

Back from my podcast activity on the beautiful UT campus, MoAlpha.

There were about 40 people there. Lots of talk about $&^(

Some bonus UT/UT jr. humour. David French gets it.

Find it where you listen to your podcasts.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f53890ccd.jpeg

seedsbelize2 11-04-21 05:11 PM

And speaking of the flu shot, I see the UK has approved an anti-Covid capsule.

genejockey 11-04-21 05:14 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22296238)
And speaking of the flu shot, I see the UK has approved an anti-Covid capsule.

IF it'S nOT FuLL of HCq anNd IVeRmECTiN, I'm NOt taKIng It!!!

rjones28 11-04-21 05:55 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22296083)
Apropos of which, my siblings and I were discussing FitBits and health-tracking smartphone apps. Seems as if these things both fail to track exercise you're doing (my brother who walks every day has only walked 0.3 miles this week, per his iPhone), or they can be spoofed (my sister mentioned a woman she knew who increased her daily step count by sitting at her desk, swinging her arm).

I tend to have an inflated step count on my Forerunner when I wear it at the bike shop. I think it counts turning cranks during gear adjustment as steps.

rjones28 11-04-21 06:16 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22296200)
On that note, I saw this yesterday - new record for an ultra-dumb running event. You've gotta run a four mile loop at the top of the hour, last person left wins. This dude did it 85 consecutive hours. :twitchy:

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_bri...racing-running

This happened nearby last weekend.

East Coast 24 Hour Track Event - October 30, 2021 (ultrasignup.com)

Velo Vol 11-04-21 06:50 PM

Slow night. Everyone must be listening to podcasts and celebrating the end of snoozeball.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:38 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.