Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254494)

MoAlpha 09-24-22 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22658058)
That’ll buff right out.

A little grinding first.

mschwett 09-24-22 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22657820)
Got a 2.
Wordle 462 2/6

🟨⬜⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

very nice!! i’ve been in a major wordle funk.

a decent one today though.

Wordle 462 3/6

⬜🟨⬜🟩⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

genejockey 09-24-22 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22658125)
A little grinding first.

Speaking of grinding, the folks across the creek have been taking down an enormous Eucalyptus for months now. First the branches disappeared, as they cut them off and lowered them to the ground with ropes looped over higher branches.

Then they stopped for several weeks, while they tried to figure out how to cut off the top of the tree and lower it to the ground with nothing above it to loop a rope around. Eventually they cut it off in 6-10' lengths and just let them *THUD!!!* to the ground.

Then they got down to only about 30' of the trunk left, but it was so big around they didn't seem to have a way to cut it. After a couple weeks, they seem to have figured THAT out and I came home to find a 15' length of trunk, that was 6' to 8' in diameter, in the creek (which is a trickle this time of year).

Then they spent one Saturday cutting that apart with chainsaws into carryable pieces, maybe 2' x 2', and carrying those to the dumpster out front. Then they stopped, while they tried to figure out how to get rid of an 8' tall stump, 8' in diameter.

So today, they're out there with the two chainsaws again, cutting the stump into chunks to carry to the street. The sound is like.... Well, imagine if you were riding a 125cc dirtbike, with no muffler, on a freeway, at a more or less constant speed, for a couple hours. As much fun as all that. :twitchy: :notamused:

MoAlpha 09-24-22 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22658154)
Speaking of grinding, the folks across the creek have been taking down an enormous Eucalyptus for months now. First the branches disappeared, as they cut them off and lowered them to the ground with ropes looped over higher branches.

Then they stopped for several weeks, while they tried to figure out how to cut off the top of the tree and lower it to the ground with nothing above it to loop a rope around. Eventually they cut it off in 6-10' lengths and just let them *THUD!!!* to the ground.

Then they got down to only about 30' of the trunk left, but it was so big around they didn't seem to have a way to cut it. After a couple weeks, they seem to have figured THAT out and I came home to find a 15' length of trunk, that was 6' to 8' in diameter, in the creek (which is a trickle this time of year).

Then they spent one Saturday cutting that apart with chainsaws into carryable pieces, maybe 2' x 2', and carrying those to the dumpster out front. Then they stopped, while they tried to figure out how to get rid of an 8' tall stump, 8' in diameter.

So today, they're out there with the two chainsaws again, cutting the stump into chunks to carry to the street. The sound is like.... Well, imagine if you were riding a 125cc dirtbike, with no muffler, on a freeway, at a more or less constant speed, for a couple hours. As much fun as all that. :twitchy: :notamused:

I love watching those guys. We live in an old neighborhood with tiny back yards and when something big needs to come down it takes a lot of time, skill, and insurance.

mschwett 09-24-22 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22658154)

we have a going joke at work about impossible to place / replace / repair things on the top of tall buildings - “does it weigh more than a tank?”

because if it doesn’t, you can just use one of these!

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...dd23f2ca6.jpeg

genejockey 09-24-22 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22658162)
I love watching those guys. We live in an old neighborhood with tiny back yards and when something big needs to come down it takes a lot of time, skill, and insurance.

I suspect they're professionals at something other than big tree removal. Landscaper/garden service who bit off more than they could chew.

big john 09-24-22 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22658182)
I suspect they're professionals at something other than big tree removal. Landscaper/garden service who bit off more than they could chew.

When they took a tree out here last year the guy came back with a stump grinder. The thing was big enough for him to drive it off the trailer and over to the stump. It ground the stump to bits below the surface in a few minutes.

seedsbelize2 09-24-22 04:13 PM

I've used a walk behind stump grinder. Not fun.

big john 09-24-22 04:14 PM

Short ride again today and a small turnout at the club. Maybe the threat of heat kept people away but we only had 10 on our ride and the other group was smaller.

By coincidence we stopped for a snack where another group was and a friend I haven't seen in years was there. When I joined the club in 1989 I rode with him a lot. He's now 80 years old and he said his friend who used to lead those rides is 90! The 90 year old doesn't ride anymore but another guy who is 86 still does and he has reached 330K miles since he started keeping track.

MoAlpha 09-24-22 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22658182)

Ah, and they had watched some pros or YouTube or something.

big john 09-24-22 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22658243)
I've used a walk behind stump grinder. Not fun.

Like running a roto tiller on hard ground?

Mojo31 09-24-22 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22658269)
Like running a roto tiller on hard ground?

No fun.

rjones28 09-24-22 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22657642)
But are those contraptions legal to ride on the street?

Probably not.

bampilot06 09-24-22 06:21 PM

Seatpost doesn’t have any markings on it, other than easton and 8nm. Whyfi do you happen to know what size seatpost your R3 uses? I would imagine there is a chance it’s the same.

abshipp 09-24-22 07:34 PM

Tourist things:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a79c6190f.jpeg

Mojo31 09-24-22 09:51 PM

Birthday surprise from the kids. 🥰

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a1d8f56514.jpg

rjones28 09-24-22 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22658343)
Seatpost doesn’t have any markings on it, other than easton and 8nm. Whyfi do you happen to know what size seatpost your R3 uses? I would imagine there is a chance it’s the same.

Did you remove it from the frame?

bampilot06 09-25-22 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22658503)
Did you remove it from the frame?

No. I really don’t want too. It has really bad slippage in the past and I finally got it to not slip and don’t want to have that start again.

datlas 09-25-22 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22658561)
No. I really don’t want too. It has really bad slippage in the past and I finally got it to not slip and don’t want to have that start again.

The size info is typically at the bottom of the seatpost, below the “min insert” line. So although it’s a nuisance to fully remove it, the info you seek should be there. You can always add some friction paste to reduce slippage.

bampilot06 09-25-22 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22658566)
The size info is typically at the bottom of the seatpost, below the “min insert” line. So although it’s a nuisance to fully remove it, the info you seek should be there. You can always add some friction paste to reduce slippage.

grumble grumble grumble. My ritchey breakaway clamp is 31.6 mm and my seat post is smaller than that so I’m going to just guess and say it’s 27 mm.
No bike shop in my area carries carbon paste, and I hate ordering things online.

phrantic09 09-25-22 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22658567)
grumble grumble grumble. My ritchey breakaway clamp is 31.6 mm and my seat post is smaller than that so I’m going to just guess and say it’s 27 mm.
No bike shop in my area carries carbon paste, and I hate ordering things online.

The R3 is 27.2 or whatever the size is

datlas 09-25-22 05:24 AM

Don’t be a fool by guessing. Take the damn post out. If you PM me your address I can mail you a tablespoon of carbon paste wrapped in some Saran Wrap.

datlas 09-25-22 05:38 AM

Time to ride!

seedsbelize2 09-25-22 06:12 AM

And I only shop online.

seedsbelize2 09-25-22 06:13 AM

Wordle 462 4/6

⬜🟨🟩🟨⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩