Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254494)

BillyD 07-14-22 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22574138)
Benson has been on homemade food for quite a while. She's been on a steady diet of chicken and rice lately. Mrs. rjones28 has an Instant Pot recipe that is so easy that even I can make it. We use BalanceIT.com nutritional supplement.

I’d love to throw all the ingredients into an instapot, and Mrs BD keeps offering, but I don’t see how all those textures will work out effectively. For sample, shouldn’t the veggies have some fiber left instead of coming out mush? I have to experiment some.

indyfabz 07-14-22 10:35 AM

SoÖIím eating lunch at Logan Circle when a big red tail land on a tall light pole. After about 5 minutes of hanging out he swoops down to a landscaped area covered with plants. About a minute later he takes off with a good sized rat in his talons and lands on the shorter pole seen here. The many onlookers caused him to fly off to dine in privacy.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a12a805ff.jpeg

seedsbelize2 07-14-22 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22574106)
Awesome. I've dabbled a bit with feeding my dogs homemade food. I'd love to get away from that toxic kibble processed food, but the convenience factor is formidable. Human grade food is definitely better for them but it's tough finding a recipe that provides all the essential micronutrients.

Plus you need a lot of freezer space to avoid almost constantly cooking for them. If only I could afford a dedicated cook.

I just switched to a bigger pot. I was cooking every other day.
Hit 'reply' and the site can't be reached. duh

seedsbelize2 07-14-22 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22574138)
Benson has been on homemade food for quite a while. She's been on a steady diet of chicken and rice lately. Mrs. rjones28 has an Instant Pot recipe that is so easy that even I can make it. We use BalanceIT.com nutritional supplement.

We've talked about using nutritional yeast, which we can easily get, but I have so far forgotten.

seedsbelize2 07-14-22 10:53 AM

Getting ready to ride. It's gonna be a hot one. 32 starting out, and going up to 35--feels like 37 by the end. Breezy and overcast. I have been really loving my rides of late. Three slices of peanut butter bread throughout the morning, to get me through it. Tow bottles of water enroute, with a pre-hydration of about a liter or so.

bampilot06 07-14-22 10:58 AM

Doing the A pace charlotte group ride tonight. I think itís A pace. Hopefully my ride this morning doesnít lead me to getting dropped.

genejockey 07-14-22 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22574291)
Iíd love to throw all the ingredients into an instapot, and Mrs BD keeps offering, but I donít see how all those textures will work out effectively. For sample, shouldnít the veggies have some fiber left instead of coming out mush? I have to experiment some.

Fiber doesn't go away just because the vegetables are mush.

genejockey 07-14-22 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22574370)
SoÖIím eating lunch at Logan Circle when a big red tail land on a tall light pole. After about 5 minutes of hanging out he swoops down to a landscaped area covered with plants. About a minute later he takes off with a good sized rat in his talons and lands on the shorter pole seen here. The many onlookers caused him to fly off to dine in privacy.

"Jesus, you people and your squeamishness. It's not like you even LIKE rats!"

genejockey 07-14-22 11:29 AM

Speaking of hawks, as I was swooping down a hill in Woodside yesterday afternoon, at the point where my speed reaches the maximum just before a narrow bridge, something swooped down from my left and right in front of me, maybe 6' from my front tire, about the height of the axle. Once it was past, my brain processed the images and I realized it was a Red Tail that almost took us both out.

rjones28 07-14-22 11:31 AM

Iíd love to throw all the ingredients into an instapot, and Mrs BD keeps offering, but I donít see how all those textures will work out effectively. For sample, shouldnít the veggies have some fiber left instead of coming out mush? I have to experiment some.

For the chicken and rice; put in whole chicken breasts, long grain white rice, and water. Not mushy. Dice the chicken after it's cooked.

rjones28 07-14-22 11:35 AM

Some recipes are done on the stovetop.

(file photo: old stove, younger dog.)
https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...KQ&oe=62F7483A

WhyFi 07-14-22 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22574370)

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a12a805ff.jpeg

When I was still in NYC, the city used to employ falconers to scare pigeons away from some parks... Until one of the hawks grabbed someone's chihuahua. Oops.

WhyFi 07-14-22 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22574453)
(file photo: old stove, younger dog.)

Oh, stop - Velo Vol's antics have us trained to spot a screen grab from Google Street View from a mile away.

LesterOfPuppets 07-14-22 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22574457)
When I was still in NYC, the city used to employ falconers to scare pigeons away from some parks... Until one of the hawks grabbed someone's chihuahua. Oops.

A small price to pay IMO.

rjones28 07-14-22 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22574461)
Oh, stop - Velo Vol's antics have us trained to spot a screen grab from Google Street View from a mile away.

I have some errands this afternoon. I'll be on my e-bike.

indyfabz 07-14-22 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22574443)
Speaking of hawks, as I was swooping down a hill in Woodside yesterday afternoon, at the point where my speed reaches the maximum just before a narrow bridge, something swooped down from my left and right in front of me, maybe 6' from my front tire, about the height of the axle. Once it was past, my brain processed the images and I realized it was a Red Tail that almost took us both out.

I have had them fly across my path, never low enough to hit one. Around 10' was probably the lowest. Startled the hell out of me.

In 2017 an Osprey flew about 5' over my head while I was touring in Montana. The thing had a fish in its talons. I knew it was coming because the position of the sun cast a shadow in front of me. There was a big river in the area with a large reservoir created by a hydroelectric damn down river from where I was. Ospreys were everywhere. Later that afternoon I crossed the river into a town for groceries. A pair had a next on top of the bridge. I got a lot of lip, I mean beak, from the parents.

datlas 07-14-22 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22574461)

Is he on hiatus?!?

genejockey 07-14-22 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22574468)
I have had them fly across my path, never low enough to hit one. Around 10' was probably the lowest. Startled the hell out of me.

In 2017 an Osprey flew about 5' over my head while I was touring in Montana. The thing had a fish in its talons. I knew it was coming because the position of the sun cast a shadow in front of me. There was a big river in the area with a large reservoir created by a hydroelectric damn down river from where I was. Ospreys were everywhere. Later that afternoon I crossed the river into a town for groceries. A pair had a next on top of the bridge. I got a lot of lip, I mean beak, from the parents.

I think they're lazy, and prefer to drop from a tree or such to gain airspeed before trying to climb, rather than lifting off and flying up.

genejockey 07-14-22 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22574462)
A small price to pay IMO.

"HEY! Some of us are part Chihuahua, dude. We don't choose our parents!"
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b6d0622935.jpg

indyfabz 07-14-22 11:56 AM

We used to have a few falcons living in center city, but that was well over a decade ago. At one point a pair was nesting on a skyscraper. Only hawks now and possibly a bald eagle or two.

One S. Jersey shore town did an experiment not that long ago. Tow officials hired a man to walk the boardwalk at night with a large owl to scare away the seagulls. They are notorious for divebombing people from behind when they have food in their hands. I have seen more than one person lose a hot dog or slice of pizza that way. (Frequent visitors to the shore know better.) When it happens to a child he or she usually ends up terrified and screaming. Anyway, from what I read the owl was quite the deterrent. It was used again for another summer season, but I don't know if fell victim to the pandemic.

genejockey 07-14-22 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22574465)
I have some errands this afternoon. I'll be on my e-bike.

I'm trying to convince The Older Boy that he wants to get an e-bike for commuting. His work is only 2.1 miles away by bike, but he has to go over this....
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fca640c029.jpg

Mojo31 07-14-22 12:21 PM

Was in the vicinity of some of Bam's colleagues last night. Not sure they knew where they were going either.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ccc59d7899.jpg

:lol:

Mojo31 07-14-22 12:25 PM

Mexican for dinner. Not a bad choice.

Mojo31 07-14-22 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22574489)
I'm trying to convince The Older Boy that he wants to get an e-bike for commuting. His work is only 2.1 miles away by bike, but he has to go over this....
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fca640c029.jpg

Just announced:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2ef01d9ab.jpeg
Dual Sport+

datlas 07-14-22 01:08 PM

Ok, this might get a little P&R, but it's really economic in nature...

I would think that MOST savers know they should have roughly 100 minus their age as a percentage of savings in the stock market. The rest should be in safer places like bonds etc.

So why are all my 70-something patients telling me they are all stressed out because they are losing their shirt in the market?? If you are 75, you should really only have 25% of your assets in the market anyway.

Am I missing something here??