Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How fer did you ride today?! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1081695)

jaxgtr 05-27-24 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Troul (Post 23250859)
nice!
I swear one of these days a mosquito will be my uber back to the vehicle if the humidity keeps it up!

LOL.... yea, we had some heavy rain a few days ago, and the flying biting critters were quite heavy where there was tree cover and bushes, of which on days like this, is not enough. One of the guys I was riding with got a flat and moved out of the sun as we were starting to melt, but after a few mins, decided the sun was not all that bad.

rsbob 05-27-24 11:10 PM

Call of shame

Have a big ride coming up next weekend and decided to do some hills (not like Sierra - who is in a whole different league) and see what the bike needs in advance. First thing I notice is no power numbers. Do a ‘Connect’ for the sensor - but no love. Rebooted Garmin and still no luck. Has to be a dead battery. Ride a very conservative 36 miles with 2,700’ with some of the punchier ones 12-14% *PR one of them) and am 2-3 miles from home on a nice downhill and I can feel the rear tire go down and the sickening rim on rubber sensation. Pull over and find the tiny hole and orient it to the lowest position for sealant to do its thing and again no love. Not enough sealant in the tire. The hole was so small a plug was far too large. So make the call. (A cyclist stopped to offer help, but the other half was already on her way).

The real kicker, was that I was going to top off the sealant on Wednesday, since I was already two months overdue. Hate not finishing a ride, but now I know better than to put off refreshing sealant. Silver lining -> While looking over the tire, I saw it was below the wear dimples, so the tire is going to be replaced anyway.

Moral to the story, Don’t be like me and put it off.

diphthong 05-28-24 01:26 AM

out of town 36-spot.

ofajen 05-28-24 09:10 AM

17 miles as a recovery workout from yesterday’s run. I rode most days this last week after realizing that I had lost a lot of cycling strength by running instead. The remedial week has definitely helped, I felt very much at ease on the bike this time.

Otto

rsbob 05-28-24 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by ofajen (Post 23251792)
17 miles as a recovery workout from yesterday’s run. I rode most days this last week after realizing that I had lost a lot of cycling strength by running instead. The remedial week has definitely helped, I felt very much at ease on the bike this time.

Otto

Running is the devil’s spawn. (Written by a reformed - and often injured runner)

SpeedyBlueBiker 05-28-24 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 23251258)
Have a big ride coming up next weekend and decided to do some hills (not like Sierra - who is in a whole different league) and see what the bike needs in advance.

Flying Wheels? I assume you'll do the 100 mile ride.

rsbob 05-28-24 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker (Post 23251835)
Flying Wheels? I assume you'll do the 100 mile ride.

yes indeed to both. And you too? Since the highest mileage I have done this year is 50, I plan to take it VERY easy, conserving energy as much as possible so I can finish/finish strong.

I rode a few of the climbs yesterday to gauge pacing.

Did Fly Wheels in my 30s a few times and the mission was to get it done in 5 hours or less. Now my mission is to finish without being wrecked.

Troul 05-28-24 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 23251258)
Have a big ride coming up next weekend and decided to do some hills (not like Sierra - who is in a whole different league) and see what the bike needs in advance. First thing I notice is no power numbers. Do a ‘Connect’ for the sensor - but no love. Rebooted Garmin and still no luck. Has to be a dead battery. Ride a very conservative 36 miles with 2,700’ with some of the punchier ones 12-14% *PR one of them) and am 2-3 miles from home on a nice downhill and I can feel the rear tire go down and the sickening rim on rubber sensation. Pull over and find the tiny hole and orient it to the lowest position for sealant to do its thing and again no love. Not enough sealant in the tire. The hole was so small a plug was far too large. So make the call. (A cyclist stopped to offer help, but the other half was already on her way).

The real kicker, was that I was going to top off the sealant on Wednesday, since I was already two months overdue. Hate not finishing a ride, but now I know better than to put off refreshing sealant. Silver lining -> While looking over the tire, I saw it was below the wear dimples, so the tire is going to be replaced anyway.

Moral to the story, Don’t be like me and put it off.

don't muc around skimping on how much sealant is used.
fwiw, I've switched from stans regular notubes sealant to the race & noticed that the barf like chunks actually works wonders if enough of the liquid is present. I've always put a gulp more in the rear & a swig above "recommended" in the front for a few personal reasons & only noticed one downside... which is slightly more cost.

Did 77.5 miles after the initial atmospheric rivers flowed. Got caught in a moiiist 2nd cloud release, but it was kinda ok as the route I would take wasn't feasible & dumped me onto a "packed" dirt path that was gooey mud like substance... rain wasn't effective unfortunately. So now I get to disassemble some sections to get that nasty gritty gunk out.
the city needs to address that problem as it was very slippery & would suction cup anything that would try going thru it... maybe another friendly message will do the trick?.... doubtful.

ofajen 05-28-24 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 23251829)
Running is the devil’s spawn. (Written by a reformed - and often injured runner)

I transitioned to minimal shoes first, then started running. Lots of good feedback to adapt my gait to proper form on various surfaces. No injuries, no pain. And I run at most 3x per week, so plenty of recovery.

Otto

SpeedyBlueBiker 05-28-24 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 23251853)
yes indeed to both. And you too?

Nope. The weather is always so iffy for that event. I will be doing the 65 mile Cycle Chelan ride later in the month, STP two day, only my second time doing that one. Will ride to Longview making Sunday a short 53-56 mile ride. Then I'll ride my 8th or so RAMROD which will be on 4 September this year. It will also be a different course this year. We ride in the opposite direction.

jadmt 05-28-24 03:45 PM

finally a ride long enough not to be embarrassed....well maybe a just a little embarrassed...
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...116b2a1b6.jpeg

rsbob 05-28-24 04:26 PM

Replaced rear tubeless tire with a new Conti 5K and replaced 4iiii power meter battery/recalibrate/synch with Garmin.

It was a real PITA cleaning all the stuck sealant from the rim. Took about an hour. Then I see that Silca has a sealant remover spray - will order that. Then getting the new tire on the rim was another struggle, but remembered I have a tool that helps pull the tire edge up and over the rim. Without that it would have been impossible for my little girly fingers. Seating the tire was a literal snap/pop using the compressor - alway afraid of blowing up the tire or rim, but never an issue. Then went through the fun of adding sealant/ sloshing it around and a quick test ride around the garage since it is pouring outside.

Tomorrow is Z2 - Thurs sprints - Fri off - Sat the event.

rsbob 05-28-24 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker (Post 23251993)
Nope. The weather is always so iffy for that event. I will be doing the 65 mile Cycle Chelan ride later in the month, STP two day, only my second time doing that one. Will ride to Longview making Sunday a short 53-56 mile ride. Then I'll ride my 8th or so RAMROD which will be on 4 September this year. It will also be a different course this year. We ride in the opposite direction.

I heard that RAMROD was cancelled, but you are no doubt more of an authority than my source - not the Redmond Cycling Club.

Did RAMROD twice and after each time swore I would never do it again - evidently it took the second time to convince me. BUT, good for you and hats off to you for going for it.

Used to ride the Apple Century out of Wenatchee. Had massive leg cramps with 5 miles to go - that was a drag - but had a good time.

Have done STP in one day twice and in two days once, but that was back in the 80s.

Also have done Flying Wheels in the past and wanted to see if 40 years later I could still do it. It will be a test.

rsbob 05-28-24 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Troul (Post 23251895)
don't muc around skimping on how much sealant is used.
fwiw, I've switched from stans regular notubes sealant to the race & noticed that the barf like chunks actually works wonders if enough of the liquid is present. I've always put a gulp more in the rear & a swig above "recommended" in the front for a few personal reasons & only noticed one downside... which is slightly more cost.

Did 77.5 miles after the initial atmospheric rivers flowed. Got caught in a moiiist 2nd cloud release, but it was kinda ok as the route I would take wasn't feasible & dumped me onto a "packed" dirt path that was gooey mud like substance... rain wasn't effective unfortunately. So now I get to disassemble some sections to get that nasty gritty gunk out.
the city needs to address that problem as it was very slippery & would suction cup anything that would try going thru it... maybe another friendly message will do the trick?.... doubtful.

Good advice. I topped up and over the recommended on my other tires. Time to order another bottle.

SpeedyBlueBiker 05-28-24 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 23252170)
I heard that RAMROD was cancelled, but you are no doubt more of an authority than my source - not the Redmond Cycling Club.

Did RAMROD twice and after each time swore I would never do it again - evidently it took the second time to convince me. BUT, good for you and hats off to you for going for it.

Used to ride the Apple Century out of Wenatchee. Had massive leg cramps with 5 miles to go - that was a drag - but had a good time.

Have done STP in one day twice and in two days once, but that was back in the 80s.

Also have done Flying Wheels in the past and wanted to see if 40 years later I could still do it. It will be a test.

You are correct that it was cancelled. However, the Redmond Cycling Club continued to lobby the Park service to reinstate it. They also had a massive email campaign to flood the Park service with why it should not be scrapped. They must have come to some sort of compromise. That is why the date and route has been changed.

rsbob 05-28-24 11:09 PM

Representative Kim Schrier to the rescue of RAMROD. That’s pretty awesome.

Sierra_rider 05-29-24 12:12 AM

Aside from my climb-heavy day on Thursday, last week was mostly a recovery and "reset" week for me. Took a couple of days off the bike for the first time in a while and even went on a camping trip to ride motos with some friends.

I'm back at it this week, did 2x15' intervals @350 watts up the Alpe d'Zwift yesterday for a fake 11 miles and 3500'. Today was a self-paced zone 2 ride in virtual Wyoming, 17 miles and 1700'. I'll be back home on Wednesday, so I'll get some outdoor riding in for the rest of the week.

Jughed 05-29-24 03:54 AM

My normal weeknight of 30 miles on the local MUP - dead flat, mostly Z2.

Smaug1 05-29-24 07:56 AM

• Friday: Rain was coming, but I went out and got 17 miles on the gravel bike anyway. Got soaked over the last 5 miles, but it's OK, it wasn't too cold.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/11489662042
  • Saturday: 16 mile eBike ride with my daughter in the morning:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/11496805078
  • Sunday: Nothing, it rained all day and I don't like stationary bikes.
  • Yesterday: Got a family eBike ride in. My wife is SO slow; daughter and I were champing at the bit. She wants to go 20 all the time. It was still 586 calories. Heart rate was 52% in Zone 1 and 35% in Zone 2. I didn't tell them until we were done, but it wound up being 17 miles.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/11511195697
  • This morning: I extended the commute a bit for 2.3 miles instead of 2. I took the gravel bike today to try out the new snap-on fenders and U-lock mount at the front of the top tube. (still rubs the knee a bit; need to give up and put it on the seat tube.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/11524741335/overview
Pictures, when taken are in the Strava links.

WaveyGravey 05-29-24 08:38 AM

25 miles on Tuesday.

HectorStorm 05-29-24 09:46 AM

Did some of the Trans Pennine Trail today - sadly because of the many inches of rain in blighty lately, it was largely a muddy, puddle ridden bog.

Distance: 20.63 miles.
Moving Time: 1hr, 38min, 38 sec
Moving Avg Spd: 12.5mph
Maximum Speed: 27.1mph

jaxgtr 05-29-24 07:33 PM

Rode the Snake River Canon for 28.6 fake miles and 1.2K fake feet today. Legs were felt really good today.

Sierra_rider 05-29-24 09:07 PM

I'm back home from work, so I got a real outdoor ride in today...31.5 miles and 4400' of gain. Also scored a Strava KOM, only had to hold 355 watts for about 11 minutes to get it. I used this ride to get some FTP intervals in, so that particular segment made a good interval.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9cd97738ce.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...86f4396adb.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...78c61c02b6.jpg

rsbob 05-29-24 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sierra_rider (Post 23253363)
I'm back home from work, so I got a real outdoor ride in today...31.5 miles and 4400' of gain. Also scored a Strava KOM, only had to hold 355 watts for about 11 minutes to get it. I used this ride to get some FTP intervals in, so that particular segment made a good interval.

Only? :eek:

Faked it today while it rained - again. 17 miles with 1300’ with a spike to 2,000 Watts (because ZWIFT screwed up). Watched a French murder mystery series on Netflix to keep from going mad.

Sierra_rider 05-29-24 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 23253494)
Only? :eek:

Faked it today while it rained - again. 17 miles with 1300’ with a spike to 2,000 Watts (because ZWIFT screwed up). Watched a French murder mystery series on Netflix to keep from going mad.

I mean 355 is almost what my FTP is according to my recent test. I started the climb cold, so I was just trying to pace a few seconds ahead of the live segment tracker. Those may sound like big numbers, but I get dropped hard by the truly great climbers.

I sometimes forget how many rainy days you PNW guys have...I'm getting into the time of the year that I look forward to a chance of rain. Although those usually come in the form of thunderstorms, which can be a bit worrisome sometimes.