Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

Bah Humbug 07-07-20 11:40 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21574408)
One more thing I’d note if you go to the Core line, you’ll roast in hot temps if you don’t get the lightweight version. I have both and have to put the regular Core away once it’s about 80.

Ouch; thanks for the heads up. I rarely see much time under 80*.

Velo Vol 07-07-20 11:44 AM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21574419)
I prefer yellow lenses in all situations.

When is your early-morning aeroport trip?

seedsbelize 07-07-20 11:50 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21574433)
When is your early-morning aeroport trip?

August 13.

kissTheApex 07-07-20 11:54 AM

Sigh. I did not have much confidence in our health trade system to begin with, but things like this makes it even worse.

The thing is, they’re the ones that “got caught” and may not be the most aggressive out there. :(

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/eco...-he-d-n1232971

WhyFi 07-07-20 12:08 PM


Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21574290)
Project Rudy had a 50% off sale around thanksgiving and I really thought hard getting a last year’s model with chromatic lenses but passed. I still think perhaps I should have gotten them.

I’m a bit of enigma to myself when it comes to this. My eyes are sensitive to bright light, but I don’t like and can’t handle dark sunglasses for prolonged duration.

I wear them religiously for eye protection purposes when riding and I settled on orange/yellow/mango colored lenses. Clear enough to wear 5:15 in the morning when riding to work and bordering manageable for bright sun around 4:00 in the afternoon when I’m heading back home. I’d like to try chromatic lenses but the higher the UV exposure, the darker they get (plus they tend to be more efficient in low temperatures) and it was/is the thing I don’t like about them on my transitions prescription eye glasses. They get disturbingly dark in the winter time and then don’t get light enough quickly when your indoors.

I've rarely regretted buying a decent set of glasses on sale.

If you can get your hands on them, take a peep through some Oakley Prizm Road lenses (there are a few versions, now, but I have only used/owned the plain ol' 'Road') - they're not terribly dark, but take the edge off of bright sun. If those are still too dark, I think that the Prizm Trail are made for MTBers that ride in shade more frequently.

phrantic09 07-07-20 12:11 PM


Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21574460)
Sigh. I did not have much confidence in our health trade system to begin with, but things like this makes it even worse.

The thing is, they’re the ones that “got caught” and may not be the most aggressive out there. :(

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/eco...-he-d-n1232971

gross

LAJ 07-07-20 12:12 PM

"By 2008, I saw this was just a bunch of schemes," he said. He contemplated leaving Novartis, but job prospects were few during the Great Recession.

Money talks, people mumble.

WhyFi 07-07-20 12:19 PM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21574408)
One more thing I’d note if you go to the Core line, you’ll roast in hot temps if you don’t get the lightweight version. I have both and have to put the regular Core away once it’s about 80.


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21574429)
Ouch; thanks for the heads up. I rarely see much time under 80*.

I'm sure that there's some YMMV and possibly evolving construction/materials, but I was in a current, light gray Core jersey (and white sun sleeves) for 4 hours over the weekend with temps hovering between the high-80s - low-90s and I wasn't the least bit uncomfortable, except while waiting in full sun, on fresh blacktop at one absurdly long traffic light.

I am half Filipino, though. :foo:

phrantic09 07-07-20 12:21 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21574506)
I'm sure that there's some YMMV and possibly evolving construction/materials, but I was in a current, light gray Core jersey (and white sun sleeves) for 4 hours over the weekend with temps hovering between the high-80s - low-90s and I wasn't the least bit uncomfortable, except while waiting in full sun, on fresh blacktop at one absurdly long traffic light.

I am half Filipino, though. :foo:

I have that exact same jersey and found I come home soaked. It doesn’t seem to evaporate as well although it also could be related to the extremely high humidity here.

WhyFi 07-07-20 12:22 PM

Lol. After five months or so of floating around the Royal Mail and USPS, my original Rapha Festive 500 patch has arrived. Now I've got two that I don't know what to do with. Maybe one will go on my winter cycling jacket...

phrantic09 07-07-20 12:26 PM

Actually I have the dark grey

WhyFi 07-07-20 12:28 PM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21574508)
I have that exact same jersey and found I come home soaked. It doesn’t seem to evaporate as well although it also could be related to the extremely high humidity here.

Possibly. MN is usually pretty humid, but it was pretty pleasant in that regard on Sun. I'm not usually too bothered by humidity while riding, though, not once we're in to the season, at least. I would like to try one of the Lightweight Core jerseys, but the lack of zipped pocket has kept me from buying one so far - I really like having it for credit cards, ID, etc.

WhyFi 07-07-20 12:28 PM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21574521)
Actually I have the dark grey

The Carbon one, or whatever they call it? I want that color, too. The light gray is very light - it's more off-white than gray.

kissTheApex 07-07-20 12:39 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21574482)
I've rarely regretted buying a decent set of glasses on sale.

If you can get your hands on them, take a peep through some Oakley Prizm Road lenses (there are a few versions, now, but I have only used/owned the plain ol' 'Road') - they're not terribly dark, but take the edge off of bright sun. If those are still too dark, I think that the Prizm Trail are made for MTBers that ride in shade more frequently.

it figures, all the models I like are for small faces :notamused:. The rest would make me look like even more of a dork.

I know I know, one thinks “how it is even possible!?”, but apparently it is.

WhyFi 07-07-20 01:00 PM


Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21574542)
it figures, all the models I like are for small faces :notamused:. The rest would make me look like even more of a dork.

I know I know, one thinks “how it is even possible!?”, but apparently it is.

Embrace it. We all look like dorks on the bike.

Well, not me - I'm one of the cool guys in Spandex, but ya know... solidarity and whatnot.

rjones28 07-07-20 01:07 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21573990)
Extended coverage along the top, be it with tall frames, frameless, or frameless along the top, is starting to become pretty common, it seems. Not that it matters much to me - I don't think that I've gone on more than a handful of rides without a cycling cap in the last few years, so the visor is going to block that line of sight, anyway.

You can flip up the brim.

rjones28 07-07-20 01:15 PM


Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21574290)
Oh do tell.

The stuff inside this box went on the Fatboy today.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...61ca1cc76a.jpg

WhyFi 07-07-20 01:15 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21574583)
You can flip up the brim.

I can't, my helmet gets in the way; I don't like wearing it rotated back.

LesterOfPuppets 07-07-20 01:16 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21574583)
You can flip up the brim.


That's what they say


LesterOfPuppets 07-07-20 01:16 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21574595)
The stuff inside this box went on the Fatboy today.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...61ca1cc76a.jpg

Looks like it belongs on a Trans Am!

Velo Vol 07-07-20 01:19 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21574595)
The stuff inside this box went on the Fatboy today.

Fatboy?

phrantic09 07-07-20 01:22 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21574529)
The Carbon one, or whatever they call it? I want that color, too. The light gray is very light - it's more off-white than gray.

That’s the one

rjones28 07-07-20 01:24 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21574599)
Looks like it belongs on a Trans Am!

Totally

datlas 07-07-20 01:27 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21574595)
The stuff inside this box went on the Fatboy today.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...61ca1cc76a.jpg

:bday:

rjones28 07-07-20 01:27 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21574601)
Fatboy?

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...dd2b84fe25.jpg


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:16 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.