Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

phrantic09 07-21-20 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21598913)
Yet more evidence of the adage ‘when one door closes another door opens’.

So so where are the owners relocating, sunbelt?

Florida.

Trsnrtr 07-21-20 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21598781)
My wife forbids me to get a MTB because there’s a high degree of likelihood I’ll kill myself on one.

It’s too bad because we have a great trail system that you can ride to from any house in this neighborhood.

I bought a MTB a few years ago and cracked a rib on the second ride. I promptly sold it.

I bought a cheap gravel bike a year ago and rode a few gravel routes. The whole time, I kept thinking if I fall off, that rocky crap is going to hurt and the rash is really going to be messy. I'm cleaning it up this morning in preparation for sale. :)

Trsnrtr 07-21-20 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21598799)
Fingers crossed! Let us know how it progresses.

What he said. Good luck!

WhyFi 07-21-20 07:32 AM

Seeing MoAlpha doing structured workouts without a power meter makes me sad. Not sad enough to send a power meter his way, but sad enough to doing some window shopping for him. :D Ya know, the P2M drop-in is $100 off right now - $590 with crankset (no rings). There's also a slightly lighter version, but that's only shaves 30g but costs an extra 100 bucks.

MoAlpha 07-21-20 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by gnome (Post 21598450)
time for a recumbent then.

Ummm...no.

MoAlpha 07-21-20 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21598508)
It's looking like I'm going to be rocking a pretty sweet bruise just above the right knee for a while.

Wow. Glad you got off easy!

Velo Vol 07-21-20 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21598923)
I bought a cheap gravel bike a year ago and rode a few gravel routes. The whole time, I kept thinking if I fall off, that rocky crap is going to hurt and the rash is really going to be messy. I'm cleaning it up this morning in preparation for sale. :)

Smart.

MoAlpha 07-21-20 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21598939)
Seeing MoAlpha doing structured workouts without a power meter makes me sad. Not sad enough to send a power meter his way, but sad enough to doing some window shopping for him. :D Ya know, the P2M drop-in is $100 off right now - $590 with crankset (no rings). There's also a slightly lighter version, but that's only shaves 30g but costs an extra 100 bucks.

Thanks! I'll look and I have an August birthday as an excuse, if needed.

I am actively shopping and would have bought Assiomas ere now if they had been available. It's also not as bad as it looks, since I have good power data from the trainer for HR zones and it's easy to use HR to target TL: I just make sure it climbs well into Z5 and back off if I start to see much above 6.

BillyD 07-21-20 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21598916)
Florida.

Interesting.

seedsbelize 07-21-20 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21598774)
So... we didn’t get the house. Someone came in with the same offer amount as us, but all cash. What’s interesting is that they only saw the house via FaceTime so there’s potential that they’ll change their mind about the house (but I doubt it).

But.... There’s a house around the corner from where we rent that we always admire when we walk the dogs. Great lot, we’ll maintained etc. Last night when walking the dogs, they had a FSBO sign in the yard. Mrs. H stops and starts talking to them, and they invite her inside to see the house. I take the kids and dogs home and go back a little later.

The house is incredible, nicer inside than I even expected. The husband, wife and I talked for about 40 minutes about the house and come to an agreement on sale price verbally. My agent is getting them the contract this morning and all we have left after that are attorney approvals and we should be closed by mid-August.

Magnificent!!

Bah Humbug 07-21-20 07:44 AM

Today’s ride was a twin of yesterday’s, with slightly higher kJ - 1599 this time. Ton of tri geeks TTTing and a roadie peloton. And one guy who tried to Gandalf me in futility.

Bah Humbug 07-21-20 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21598774)
So... we didn’t get the house. Someone came in with the same offer amount as us, but all cash. What’s interesting is that they only saw the house via FaceTime so there’s potential that they’ll change their mind about the house (but I doubt it).

But.... There’s a house around the corner from where we rent that we always admire when we walk the dogs. Great lot, we’ll maintained etc. Last night when walking the dogs, they had a FSBO sign in the yard. Mrs. H stops and starts talking to them, and they invite her inside to see the house. I take the kids and dogs home and go back a little later.

The house is incredible, nicer inside than I even expected. The husband, wife and I talked for about 40 minutes about the house and come to an agreement on sale price verbally. My agent is getting them the contract this morning and all we have left after that are attorney approvals and we should be closed by mid-August.

:bday:

LesterOfPuppets 07-21-20 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21598463)

​​​​​Ooof. Guess you'll have to pay to ship it again.

Bah Humbug 07-21-20 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21598821)
Coffee. :)

But of course! :beer:

WhyFi 07-21-20 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21598956)
Thanks! I'll look and I have an August birthday as an excuse, if needed.

I am actively shopping and would have bought Assiomas ere now if they had been available. It's also not as bad as it looks, since I have good power data from the trainer for HR zones and it's easy to use HR to target TL: I just make sure it climbs well into Z5 and back off if I start to see much above 6.

You're undoubtedly being effective with your training, but I bet that you'll be surprised how much your power varies. I did my first few rides with a PM blind and even when making an effort to ride smooth, my power was bouncing all over the place. My pacing/smoothness is much better now.

seedsbelize 07-21-20 07:52 AM

I have only road bikes, and the town bike. One of the road bikes wears Open Pavès. That's the bike I use for gravel. 320 tpi sidewalls, just like the junk gp4k, and not prone to blowing out. Thankfully, when I had the chance to buy a second pair, of one or the other, I made the correct choice. Now that I think about it, the town bike wears gravel tires too, which(wheels) could be easily switched.

big john 07-21-20 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21598969)
. And one guy who tried to Gandalf me in futility.

Not familiar with the term. Don't know if I've ever been "Gandalfed".

WhyFi 07-21-20 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21598994)
Not familiar with the term. Don't know if I've ever been "Gandalfed".

"You cannot pass!" would be my guess.

abshipp 07-21-20 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21598781)
My wife forbids me to get a MTB because there’s a high degree of likelihood I’ll kill myself on one.

It’s too bad because we have a great trail system that you can ride to from any house in this neighborhood.

I think my overall lack of confidence in my bike handling skills keeps me safe, I'm just too scared to take any risks :lol:

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21598923)
I bought a MTB a few years ago and cracked a rib on the second ride. I promptly sold it.

Yeowch! Just scrapes and bruises for me so far, I usually have one or two good spills per season.

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21598941)
Wow. Glad you got off easy!

A new development this morning is a nice Ø 3" nebula on my waist. A bit of a stiff neck, too. I don't remember smacking my head against anything but I wouldn't be surprised that I tweaked things a little bit.

abshipp 07-21-20 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21598997)
"You shall not pass!"

FTFY

WhyFi 07-21-20 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21599000)

Tisk-tisk. I'm going books, yo - source material.

abshipp 07-21-20 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21599001)

I read the books a long time ago, certainly don't remember the details of that scene :o

Sad!

big john 07-21-20 08:06 AM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a624163926.jpg
I love my mtb.

abshipp 07-21-20 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21599001)

Also:

Nerd!

big john 07-21-20 08:11 AM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d030ae7dc9.jpg
My friend wanted a pic of this cactus with her bike to show how big it is. Hard to tell but it is at least 8 feet tall.