Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

seedsbelize2 10-22-21 08:42 AM

This high speed rail project has brought a lot of dump trucks to the local area. One gets the impression that the drivers of them are not local. LOTS of accidents. Just a few days ago one of them ran a stop sign and wiped out a family of four. Dad dead at the scene. Mom unlikely to recover. Kids with broken limbs. Another one pullrd out to pass and wiped out a priest and a businessman. There have been not a few rollovers, texting incidents, you name it. I'm running out of places to ride, until this project moves on. Off road becomes more and more attractive.

seedsbelize2 10-22-21 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22278931)
I made the statement that the rat was "boney as a rail" and so Jones posted the picture of the bird, a Rail. Actually I always thought the expression was referring to a railroad rail, especially since the bird isn't boney at all.
TTKU

I think of a rail fence, for that reference.

Velo Vol 10-22-21 08:45 AM

Oof.

Mojo31 10-22-21 08:50 AM

One of the things that would concern me about the Rapha Core jacket is the dark color. Right around Christmas last year, I was out riding alone on a nice, colder sunny day. Had on black tights with reflective strips, the grey jacket, hi-vis yellow gloves, and a dark blue helmet. I was waiting at a stop light on a country road, when a motorcycle pulled along side me. The rider said that as he approached, the only thing he could see was my flashing tail light, and everything else blended into the trees across the road. I was rather surprised, but now I pay more attention although I don't like the yellow/orange and other hi-vis stuff.

WhyFi 10-22-21 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22278950)

Lol. What a buncha maroons.

WhyFi 10-22-21 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22278964)
One of the things that would concern me about the Rapha Core jacket is the dark color. Right around Christmas last year, I was out riding alone on a nice, colder sunny day. Had on black tights with reflective strips, the grey jacket, hi-vis yellow gloves, and a dark blue helmet. I was waiting at a stop light on a country road, when a motorcycle pulled along side me. The rider said that as he approached, the only thing he could see was my flashing tail light, and everything else blended into the trees across the road. I was rather surprised, but now I pay more attention although I don't like the yellow/orange and other hi-vis stuff.

No problems with visibility with my Core Jacket. When I walked in from a ride last week, my daughter told me that I lit up the room.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f6db19a5d1.jpg

Of course, I understand that not everyone is has the matinee idol looks (RIP pcad) to pull it off.

BillyD 10-22-21 09:31 AM

This is how much I trusted my python, Norman, with my son (the little one) and nephews. Those kids loved that snake, and it was rewarding to indoctrinate three future adults away from a generalized snake phobia.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...36912809fd.png

Mojo31 10-22-21 09:32 AM

Don't wear that pink jacket down here. You'll get coal rolled. If not worse. ;)

datlas 10-22-21 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22278860)
I had to see a man about a dog. Did I miss anything while I was gone?

No, but we missed you!

rjones28 10-22-21 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22279031)

Seems to me that this is not an apparel-specific event.

WhyFi 10-22-21 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22279031)

So be it; kowtowing to the insecurities of idiots hasn't done us too well, thus far.

WhyFi 10-22-21 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22279049)

This too.

genejockey 10-22-21 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22279030)
This is how much I trusted my python, Norman, with my son (the little one) and nephews. Those kids loved that snake, and it was rewarding to indoctrinate three future adults away from a generalized snake phobia.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...36912809fd.png

The Older Boy has always been more a fan of reptiles than of any furry pets, so when he was younger, we were in the Bay Area Amphibian and Reptile Society (BAARS). People would bring their portable reptiles to the meetings, so we have pictures of him cuddling a Tegu, for example. Anyway, one of the members owned a Burmese Python, who was allowed to wander the room during meetings. You'd sometimes feel something on your shoulder and then his head would appear next to you, and he'd glide over you, move on to the next row - imagine a room full of people, all of whom were completely cool with that.

LAJ 10-22-21 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22279051)
So be it; kowtowing to the insecurities of idiots hasn't done us too well, thus far.

This

Mojo31 10-22-21 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22279049)

It's not, but standing out could result in becoming a target.

Mojo31 10-22-21 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22279051)

So true.

I was behind a diesel pickup today that had a tailpipe that was at least 12" in diameter. Now, being a fan of cars with performance exhaust, systems I still could not come to an understanding of what that type of exhaust provides. Just makes no sense, and the only thing I could see it being good for is blowing massive clouds of black smoke out.

I'm the first to admit that "truck country" has its share, perhaps more than its share, of stupid people.

bampilot06 10-22-21 09:55 AM

First work out on the wahoo done.

rjones28 10-22-21 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22279065)
It's not, but standing out could result in becoming a target.

So, no cycling.

WhyFi 10-22-21 09:58 AM

It's just about time to get on with my full, exciting day. I've got an appliance to repair, my shave soap and aftershave should be arriving, and I'm planning on taking the boy to see Dune at the theater (if it doesn't look very busy).

Trsnrtr 10-22-21 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22278901)
There's always the twin factors of acclimation and desperation. Cold snaps in the fall are tough to deal with because warmth is fresher in the mind, but you get used to it and/or the stir-crazies set in, making it more attractive to get out.

Also, it seems the air is damp until winter really takes hold. It seems to make those cloudy days in the 40s and 50s really miserable, at least in my climate.

WhyFi 10-22-21 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22279089)
Also, it seems the air is damp until winter really takes hold. It seems to make those cloudy days in the 40s and 50s really miserable, in least in my climate.

Oh gods, absolutely - give me 35į and crisp over 45į and damp any time.

BillyD 10-22-21 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22279056)
The Older Boy has always been more a fan of reptiles than of any furry pets, so when he was younger, we were in the Bay Area Amphibian and Reptile Society (BAARS). People would bring their portable reptiles to the meetings, so we have pictures of him cuddling a Tegu, for example. Anyway, one of the members owned a Burmese Python, who was allowed to wander the room during meetings. You'd sometimes feel something on your shoulder and then his head would appear next to you, and he'd glide over you, move on to the next row - imagine a room full of people, all of whom were completely cool with that.

That is indeed hard to picture, but those in the know, know how docile they are. The albino ones usually get the most Hollywood work.

DougRNS 10-22-21 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22278653)
Can we still say Indian Summer?

Asking for a friend.

its a good thing so why not?

ls01 10-22-21 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22278651)
Thatís gonna be a long winter. You guys donít ride in the cold? My gang rides outside unless roads are icy/snowy.

The closer to spring it gets the more willing to ride in it. But most are already riding zwift.
A couple of them ride all year round. I do the Saturday ride if it's sunny, but it's only 30 miles

DougRNS 10-22-21 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22278679)
Nope. Weighed in at ~150 yesterday.

ouch you're up 10 pounds. Time for the mustard-pickle ham on whole wheat English muffin sandwich diet. It works. I'm nearing the svelte range. Almost.