Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

big john 11-29-21 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22323395)
I’m an excellent driver as long as you don’t include parking in which case, I’m a terrible driver.

I'm hit and miss with parallel parking. Sometimes I look like I know what I'm doing, sometimes not so much.

Reminds me of an episode of Tosch.0 where he had people try to park a 15 passenger van in a spot that was barely big enough for the van. People thought they could do it but bumped the other cars or just gave up. Finally, a 16 year old girl dropped that thing in there like she had been doing it for years.

datlas 11-29-21 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22323426)
Gotta say, the bling factor is really high.

It really looks cool, but the price is quite high and the benefits are dubious at best.

MoAlpha 11-29-21 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22323398)
Reminds me of the Absolute Black OSPW which is causing quite a stir on the Internet lately.

Almost the same thing, but slower.

DougRNS 11-29-21 11:21 AM

I see I've stumbled upon drivingforums.net somehow, can someone direct me to walking forums? TIA
#FormerCyclist

Velo Vol 11-29-21 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22323398)
Reminds me of the Absolute Black OSPW which is causing quite a stir on the Internet lately.

Never heard of it.

Velo Vol 11-29-21 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22323456)
I see I've stumbled upon drivingforums.net somehow, can someone direct me to walking forums? TIA

https://www.walkingforum.co.uk/

datlas 11-29-21 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22323458)
Never heard of it.

You must not follow Cycling YouTubers like Hambini and Peak Torque etc. Sad.

DougRNS 11-29-21 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22323463)

a UK Site.? Pass.

Velo Vol 11-29-21 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22323469)
a UK Site.? Pass.

Is waulking different in the UK than it is in the US? I don't think so.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...10df974d49.png

big john 11-29-21 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22323464)
You must not follow Cycling YouTubers like Hambini and Peak Torque etc. Sad.

I see the giant jockey wheels on club rides. One huge guy has them on his high dollar bike and I like to tease him when I pass him on hills. If I pass you on a hill a big jockey pulley is not going to help you.

seedsbelize2 11-29-21 11:47 AM

My maternal grandfather drove a 57 ford, when I knew him. Paternal grandfather had a 58 chevy, but he drove livestock to cleveland for much of his life.

Mojo31 11-29-21 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22323432)
It really looks cool, but the price is quite high and the benefits are dubious at best.

Yeah, it's not on my foolish spending list even though that list can be long at times.

As to driving, my parking skills suffer because I hate rubbing my wheels on the curbs and scuffing the rims. That is one of my biggest fears driving. Because of that, I avoid parallel parking in everything but the Jeep. I also have a severe case of OCD when it comes to door dings, and will drive around looking for the perfect parking space, to the point that my wife frequently says to just drop her at the door.

No need to say it, I know I'm weird.

WhyFi 11-29-21 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22323479)
I see the giant jockey wheels on club rides. One huge guy has them on his high dollar bike and I like to tease him when I pass him on hills. If I pass you on a hill a big jockey pulley is not going to help you.

Nah, you're looking at it the wrong way - imagine how quickly you would have passed him if he didn't have it! I mean, we're talking picoseconds, here!

WhyFi 11-29-21 11:54 AM

My parallel parking skills are still fairly sharp after being honed in NYC. In places like MN, where PP often isn't necessary, I find that a lot of prime street parking is passed up because people just don't want to deal with the hassle, which means that I can swoop right in.

genejockey 11-29-21 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22323489)
Nah, you're looking at it the wrong way - imagine how quickly you would have passed him if he didn't have it! I mean, we're talking picoseconds, here!

I'm waiting for Zwift to start "selling" aftermarket bike bling in the drop shop. I mean, on the indoor training forum we were discussing marginal virtual gains you get from the higher level bikes, which break down to seconds over 10s of km. Maybe Zwift should let you buy these things, give you a 0.1 second advantage over 40km, for 100,000 drops? Or better yet - NO advantage, but they're clearly visible in game.

phrantic09 11-29-21 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22323494)
My parallel parking skills are still fairly sharp after being honed in NYC. In places like MN, where PP often isn't necessary, I find that a lot of prime street parking is passed up because people just don't want to deal with the hassle, which means that I can swoop right in.

I’d like to say I’m pretty decent at it, but my wife is an absolute pro. I’ve seen her put our MDX into a spot with roughly 9 inches of space on either end of the vehicle.

She does this while ignoring all cameras and solely using mirrors.

genejockey 11-29-21 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22323494)

I used to be pretty good at parallel parking, from 6 years living in San Francisco. But since moving to the Burbs 28 years ago, my skills have atrophied considerably. I once watched the Not-Yet-Mrs. GeneJockey squeeze her car into a parking space that was maybe a foot longer than her car.

BTW, while living there, I developed the rules of San Francisco Parking spaces:
1) That opening you see down the block isn't really an open parking space. If it were really a parking space, someone would already be in it.
2) If you take a space >1 block from your destination, because you KNOW there won't be any closer, you'll pass at least two big, open parking spaces on your long walk to where you were going.
3) If you DON'T take that space, there will be no open spaces any closer.

Velo Vol 11-29-21 12:08 PM

Map of the Day

29 November 21

Walking tour, London

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d2d4631bca.png

WhyFi 11-29-21 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22323500)
I'm waiting for Zwift to start "selling" aftermarket bike bling in the drop shop. I mean, on the indoor training forum we were discussing marginal virtual gains you get from the higher level bikes, which break down to seconds over 10s of km. Maybe Zwift should let you buy these things, give you a 0.1 second advantage over 40km, for 100,000 drops? Or better yet - NO advantage, but they're clearly visible in game.

It's a divisive topic with gamers (sometimes referred to as "pay to win"), but many online games will allow you to buy, with real money, a better xyz to increase your damage, speed, accuracy, etc. Cosmetic enhancements ("skins") are also available to purchase. I'm actually a little surprised that Zwift hasn't done anything of this nature, yet. Or maybe they have and I just haven't seen it.

genejockey 11-29-21 12:12 PM

2) and 3) are related to the Rule of Supermarket Checkstands that The Older Boy and I have developed:
  • Whichever checkstand we choose will turn out to be the wrong one. Someone in line ahead of us will need a price check, or not have the right amount, or their card won't work, or all of the above.
There are corollaries to this:
1) When we get in a line for a checkstand, it negatively impacts everyone ahead of us. Our presence in the line causes the problem(s).
2) If we switch to another one, that negative impact will move to the line we just got in. The line we left will now move quickly.

seedsbelize2 11-29-21 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22323201)
My dad's mother never drove, my aunt didn't get a driver's license till she was almost 30.
I had my license revolked by my parents, @ 17, based on my grandfather saying I'm a maniac behind the wheel. His car ran out of gas and he walked to our house in freezing Temps during a blizzard. I took him to get gas, and jump start his car.
My dad quit driving when he retired due to road rage. My mom thought he was going to have a heart attack.
I drive in the left lane because I am passing..... everyone. If you are in 2nd place you are just the first looser.

I had serious road rage, before leaving the country. Now, when I go to visit, I insist on not driving at all. I'll ride shotgun or ride a bike.

genejockey 11-29-21 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22323517)
I had serious road rage, before leaving the country. Now, when I go to visit, I insist on not driving at all. I'll ride shotgun or ride a bike.

I used to get road rage on the bike, but having discovered that my voice really does carry, I mutter under my breath instead of shouting.

genejockey 11-29-21 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22323514)
It's a divisive topic with gamers (sometimes referred to as "pay to win"), but many online games will allow you to buy, with real money, a better xyz to increase your damage, speed, accuracy, etc. Cosmetic enhancements ("skins") are also available to purchase. I'm actually a little surprised that Zwift hasn't done anything of this nature, yet. Or maybe they have and I just haven't seen it.

I'm glad Zwift doesn't do that, but even if they did, the incremental nature of the improvements you get with better bikes or better wheels would hardly be worth it. In the end, it's still your legs that matter.

seedsbelize2 11-29-21 12:27 PM

I am a good parallel parker. When I took my last driving test, about ten years ago, it was the best I had ever done. Prolly still holds the record. The way they do parking tests here is they put the cones where you can see them if you're not in the car. Once inside, they're invisible. When rolling in to park along a curb, I also am paranoid about the rims and tend to end up one to two feet away, initially.

seedsbelize2 11-29-21 12:28 PM

New glasses day.
:bday: