Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

genejockey 04-04-22 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22461640)
Hmm, I didn’t know that, thought you were from PA.

I am from PA. My family moved to Rochester in 1957 so Dad could help a buddy from CPS start a company. Said company's patent for their main technology was not allowed, so after 3 or so years, we moved back to PA. I remember nothing from my time in Rochester, except for a couple "snapshot" memories. Hell, I barely remember the house we lived in for a year before the house we moved into (and which became The Ancestral Home) had been vacated.

So, born in New York, but grew up in PA, till the age of 21, when I moved back to New York for 2 years before moving to California.

Mojo31 04-04-22 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22461648)
I am from PA. My family moved to Rochester in 1957 so Dad could help a buddy from CPS start a company. Said company's patent for their main technology was not allowed, so after 3 or so years, we moved back to PA. I remember nothing from my time in Rochester, except for a couple "snapshot" memories. Hell, I barely remember the house we lived in for a year before the house we moved into (and which became The Ancestral Home) had been vacated.

So, born in New York, but grew up in PA, till the age of 21, when I moved back to New York for 2 years before moving to California.

Checkered past, for sho.

WhyFi 04-04-22 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22461643)
Ah, okay. So, the first generation of STIs that don't have the cable coming out the side.

Correct. My 5700 ate a couple of cables, too.

genejockey 04-04-22 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22461657)
Correct. My 5700 ate a couple of cables, too.

I wonder if 7900 also eats cables? Ah, well, that's academic anyway, since I wasn't going to build with that group in any case. I've been thinking 6800 or 8000 for the Litespeed, since "Ultimate" and "Ultegra" seem to go together and I can't afford any form of 11 speed Dura Ace no matter how used.

WhyFi 04-04-22 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22461567)
Have you considered carved relief oak leaves? Lemmy would. :)

Long story, but our relationship has a history with oak leaves, they were even printed on our wedding stationery... but uh... yeah, that's gonna be a "no" from me, dog.

datlas 04-04-22 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22461643)
Ah, okay. So, the first generation of STIs that don't have the cable coming out the side.

Yes.

I believe the mechanism puts extra strain on the cable near the ferule (or whatever you call the cable anchor doodad). I do believe that later generations of under-the-bartape cables do not have this problem.

datlas 04-04-22 02:50 PM

Wait, is the ferule the anchor doo-dad or is it the end cap? If it's the cap what is the anchor thing??

genejockey 04-04-22 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22461678)
Wait, is the ferule the anchor doo-dad or is it the end cap? If it's the cap what is the anchor thing??

Ferrule is the end cap you put on the housing. Not sure what you call the cable end, apart from "cable end".

big john 04-04-22 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22461678)

Anchor thing? On the frame? Cable stop.

Bah Humbug 04-04-22 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22461598)
Which Shimano groupset is it that keeps eating shifter cables? I think it was datlas that had this issue?

I've been pondering whether to update the Litespeed to 11 speed Ultegra, a thought which often occurs to me as I grind up a 6+% gradient in 39x25.

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22461626)
Mine was the 10 speed Ultegra 6700.

The 11-speed can do it too; both R8000 and R7000. Mind, my R7000 shifters didn't eat as voraciously as datlas's, but I still remember a ride at the Veloway where I progressively lost gears and the shop had to spend a couple of hours fishing everything out. The R7000 was supposedly improved, coming out a year later.

Bah Humbug 04-04-22 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22461630)
Define Upstate

Anything north or west of the speaker's home.

seedsbelize2 04-04-22 03:42 PM

Well it turn out the young man who was killed was a close neighbor. And we knew him well enough to say hi on the street. We met him as one of the workers who built our house. There might be q funeral in my near future.

LesterOfPuppets 04-04-22 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22461468)
Does Tuesday have a feel?

"I feel Tuesday and Wednesday."

In other news...

BillyD 04-04-22 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22461568)
That's impossible. Vol's birthday is not in April. :foo:

Every group has at least one renegade, every rule has an exception.

BillyD 04-04-22 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22461648)

So, a visitor in other words. :roflmao2:

BillyD 04-04-22 04:24 PM

You can't discuss days of the week without including this one.

Sunday mornin' my head is bad
But it's worth it for the time that I had
But I've got to get my rest
'Cause Monday is a mess.

Bah Humbug 04-04-22 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22461746)
Well it turn out the young man who was killed was a close neighbor. And we knew him well enough to say hi on the street. We met him as one of the workers who built our house. There might be q funeral in my near future.

:hug:

Bah Humbug 04-04-22 04:31 PM

AG is in the process of accepting the job that would enable a (slow) move to FC. Her pay increases over the past year, base salary alone, are almost 80% of my actual salary. Kept-man status approaching.

datlas 04-04-22 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22461683)
Ferrule is the end cap you put on the housing. Not sure what you call the cable end, apart from "cable end".

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22461706)
Anchor thing? On the frame? Cable stop.

I meant these

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c68a3bdf6.jpeg

bampilot06 04-04-22 04:44 PM

Still feel like garbage, but today I was determined to be somewhat productive. Sprayed the outside of my house for bugs, shot the weeds, washed and waxed wife’s car plus full inside detail.

Saw a video on GCN on how to wash your bike in 30 mins. So washed both the cervelo and the madone. I think it took me closer to an hour but oh well.

Finally put the brand new GP5000 on the Madone. Went fine, except putting the rear wheel back on the madone continues to give me problems. Took me about 45 mins, even had my wife come out to help thread while I squeezed chain stay together. Still nothing.

Finally got to go in by grabbing both sides and pushing while trying to slowly screw the axle in. I pray I never get a flat tire. I’ll be ****ed.

bampilot06 04-04-22 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22461789)
AG is in the process of accepting the job that would enable a (slow) move to FC. Her pay increases over the past year, base salary alone, are almost 80% of my actual salary. Kept-man status approaching.

I envy you. I’ll never be able to stop working.

DougRNS 04-04-22 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22461468)
Does Tuesday have a feel?

Tuesday Weld does.

DougRNS 04-04-22 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22461761)
Every group has at least one renegade, every rule has an exception.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, he's the straw that stirs the drink. Apologies to Reggie.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...cad5c6f35b.jpg

DougRNS 04-04-22 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22461802)
Still feel like garbage, but today I was determined to be somewhat productive. Sprayed the outside of my house for bugs, shot the weeds, washed and waxed wife’s car plus full inside detail.

Saw a video on GCN on how to wash your bike in 30 mins. So washed both the cervelo and the madone. I think it took me closer to an hour but oh well.

Finally put the brand new GP5000 on the Madone. Went fine, except putting the rear wheel back on the madone continues to give me problems. Took me about 45 mins, even had my wife come out to help thread while I squeezed chain stay together. Still nothing.

Finally got to go in by grabbing both sides and pushing while trying to slowly screw the axle in. I pray I never get a flat tire. I’ll be ****ed.

watch this and save it in your watch later list. It should have you putting it on in under 30 seconds.

bampilot06 04-04-22 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22461838)
watch this and save it in your watch later list. It should have you putting it on in under 30 seconds.
https://youtu.be/2pnbJ64zvME

I know how to remove and put on a wheel, something is jacked with madone.