Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254494)

DougRNS 07-30-22 07:47 AM

I have been on a steady diet of Steely Dan music for 6+ months but that is now waning. I might be headed for a Who binge but that remains to be seen.

I just penned this email to my kid brother.

This is a mini 9 minute rock opera from 67 or 68 that was the seed for Tommy. "A quick one, while he's away." It has all the qualities of the who and they all shine; bass, drums, guitar and vocal harmonies with nary an off pitch note. Done live and loud. Maybe you've heard this as I have over the years. how this isn't more popular baffles me.

The whole Live at Leeds album is great and really rocks.

indyfabz 07-30-22 07:48 AM

This is the house I grew up in. The tree was planted the year I was born. Looks like some long haired freaky people have taken over.

Mom would roll over in her grave if she saw this. That used to be a lawn. Guess who had to mow it and the neighbor’s.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0099a9f2d.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4f454a672.jpeg

LesterOfPuppets 07-30-22 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22592700)
This is the house I grew up in. The tree was planted the year I was born. Looks like some long haired freaky people have taken over.

Mom would roll over in her grave if she saw this. That used to be a lawn. Guess who had to mow it and the neighbor’s.

Probably hard to grow grass under that big ass tree :)

LesterOfPuppets 07-30-22 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22592699)
I have been on a steady diet of Steely Dan music for 6+ months but that is now waning. I might be headed for a Who binge but that remains to be seen.

I just penned this email to my kid brother.

This is a mini 9 minute rock opera from 67 or 68 that was the seed for Tommy. "A quick one, while he's away." It has all the qualities of the who and they all shine; bass, drums, guitar and vocal harmonies with nary an off pitch note. Done live and loud. Maybe you've heard this as I have over the years. how this isn't more popular baffles me.

The whole Live at Leeds album is great and really rocks.

I keep a copy of Quadrophenia on my phone, have it on vinyl and just recently dug up my olde cassette copy of it, which I don't even recall owning. I must've gotten it between '86 and '95 back when I used the Walkman a LOT.

DougRNS 07-30-22 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22592879)
I keep a copy of Quadrophenia on my phone, have it on vinyl and just recently dug up my olde cassette copy of it, which I don't even recall owning. I must've gotten it between '86 and '95 back when I used the Walkman a LOT.

I have Quadrophenia on vinyl. I never had much vinyl, mostly cassettes I copied from others or CD's. Now mucho digital. An IT buddy about 15 years ago got 20 GIG of digital music that a user had on a work computer, and he copied it on an external hard drive for me. I would have preferred Tommy to Quad but I had a reason at the time that escapes me.

indyfabz 07-30-22 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22592876)
Probably hard to grow grass under that big ass tree :)

They could at least clean up the place. My mom sold around 2004. The place was rehabbed and later sold again at least once.

datlas 07-30-22 10:48 AM

I am back from my ride. I was going to title it "Bait and Switch" because at the start, the ride leader and a few of the other riders wanted to do a shorter and flatter ride. I said I was really hoping to do the longer and hillier ride as promised, but it seemed I was outnumbered so I agreed to do the shorter one.

During the ride, I noticed my RD was acting up. It would not want to go to the biggest cog in back, but also did not want to go to the 2 or 3 smaller cogs in back.

I am a-frayed I know why. After lunch, I will disassemble and find out if my fears are correct.

FWIW this is the new R8000 shifter and I would estimate it has about 2500 miles on it.

:notamused:

Mojo31 07-30-22 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22592293)
I didn’t know an emoji was an option.

I took out my life savings and bought all the tickets.

Did either of your two win?

Mojo31 07-30-22 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22592619)

Has Gwenyth, must watch.

Mojo31 07-30-22 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22592681)
Pretty slick sail land sailer with canting ama.

https://twitter.com/emiratesteamnz/s...JwCKFt1jTOjJHA

That would be fun! But, need a lot of real estate.

bampilot06 07-30-22 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22592898)
Did either of your two win?

no

Mojo31 07-30-22 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22592700)

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0099a9f2d.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4f454a672.jpeg

Looks like a place with lots of potential, and I agree it should be kept better than that. That pole may take out the tree, and that would be a shame.

Mojo31 07-30-22 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22592903)
no

Im going to keep my job. Need to keep life as normal as possible.

genejockey 07-30-22 11:25 AM

I contacted my cousin, who's a realtor in one of the Pittsburgh suburbs, about the possibility of Mrs. GJ and I retiring to that area in 5-6 years. She seems really eager to help. Mrs. GJ still seems stuck on the idea of Upstate NY, but I think it's because she plans to kill me off early, what with shovelling several feet of Lake Effect snow every couple weeks all winter.

bampilot06 07-30-22 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22592905)

right.

seedsbelize2 07-30-22 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22592879)

The Who never did much for me. I have a little sis and her husband, however, who worship them
And that 'rock opera ********! I never even gave it a listen.

seedsbelize2 07-30-22 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22592895)
I am back from my ride. I was going to title it "Bait and Switch" because at the start, the ride leader and a few of the other riders wanted to do a shorter and flatter ride. I said I was really hoping to do the longer and hillier ride as promised, but it seemed I was outnumbered so I agreed to do the shorter one.

During the ride, I noticed my RD was acting up. It would not want to go to the biggest cog in back, but also did not want to go to the 2 or 3 smaller cogs in back.

I am a-frayed I know why. After lunch, I will disassemble and find out if my fears are correct.

FWIW this is the new R8000 shifter and I would estimate it has about 2500 miles on it.

:notamused:

I have yet to wear out a shifter cable over the course of dozens of thousands of miles. :)
I have changed them prophylactically though a time or two.

Trsnrtr 07-30-22 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22592889)
They could at least clean up the place. My mom sold around 2004. The place was rehabbed and later sold again at least once.

Still a nice looking place.

Trsnrtr 07-30-22 12:33 PM

We are in Amish country in Northern Indiana with our tandem. We were supposed to do a metric but I woke up worshiping the porcelain and went back to bed. Felt a little better later and rode 36 miles. Back in bed after my shower. Totally wiped out.

genejockey 07-30-22 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22592905)

I always find that funny, when people win a crap ton of money in the lottery and then say they're gonna keep working. Though I suppose it provides some sort of anchor in normal life that might otherwise vanish.

Mojo31 07-30-22 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22592971)
I always find that funny, when people win a crap ton of money in the lottery and then say they're gonna keep working. Though I suppose it provides some sort of anchor in normal life that might otherwise vanish.

We don’t typically buy lottery tickets, but when the discussion turns to what would you do if you won big, my answer is always that the first thing I’d do is quit working. People who say otherwise are just fooling themselves.

When you go from a net worth equal to the value of a half bottle of vodka you found in a dumpster to something like $300 million, there is no longer a “normal.”

rjones28 07-30-22 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22592922)
I contacted my cousin, who's a realtor in one of the Pittsburgh suburbs, about the possibility of Mrs. GJ and I retiring to that area in 5-6 years. She seems really eager to help. Mrs. GJ still seems stuck on the idea of Upstate NY, but I think it's because she plans to kill me off early, what with shovelling several feet of Lake Effect snow every couple weeks all winter.

Everyone with a pickup truck has a plow service up here. Hire one of those guys. Live longer.

genejockey 07-30-22 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22592982)
We don’t typically buy lottery tickets, but when the discussion turns to what would you do if you won big, my answer is always that the first thing I’d do is quit working. People who say otherwise are just fooling themselves.

When you go from a net worth equal to the value of a half bottle of vodka you found in a dumpster to something like $300 million, there is no longer a “normal.”

Years ago at a startup I worked for, we were having one of those Friday afternoon parties Biotechs used to have, inspired by Genentech's "Hohos". The CEO said something like, "People say one way to tell whether you like the company you work for is whether you'd keep working there if you won the lottery."

I said, "I think the way you'd know is if you bought the company."

CEO's smile got distinctly less genuine.

genejockey 07-30-22 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22592989)
Everyone with a pickup truck has a plow service up here. Hire one of those guys. Live longer.

I'd say that my Dad would roll over in his grave if I hired somebody to do that, but he was cremated and his ashes are in a box on a bookcase in his old house, so.....

Mojo31 07-30-22 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22592994)
I'd say that my Dad would roll over in his grave if I hired somebody to do that, but he was cremated and his ashes are in a box on a bookcase in his old house, so.....

Its not your dad’s back either.

My dad is alive, but he wouldn’t ever pay for the services or things I pay for. But, not his money.