Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Cycling and those damn skinny arms... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=581368)

frankum 09-03-09 07:04 PM

Cycling and those damn skinny arms...

I laugh everytime I see a cyclist with those skinny muscle-less looking arms. Makes me just want to run over and punch 'em in the arm and probably snap a bone. Anywho, I lift weights & swim and make sure I don't get nasty skinny arms. Thoughts?:thumb:
http://media.npr.org/news/images/200...g?t=1248646854

crispy010 09-03-09 07:04 PM

troll much?

Go away.

frankum 09-03-09 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by crispy010 (Post 9610765)
troll much?

Go away.

Who's been on this forum longer? Okay..... exactly. It's just a discussion on cycling. Exactly what this forum is for. You've got nothing better to do right now?

hairnet 09-03-09 07:11 PM

It's their choice, why be judgmental?

tubescreamerx 09-03-09 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by frankum (Post 9610791)
Who's been on this forum longer? Okay..... exactly. It's just a discussion on cycling. Exactly what this forum is for. You've got nothing better to do right now?

:troll:

you don't get it (this whole cycling thing), do you?

estabro 09-03-09 07:12 PM

I'd take those arms if I could ride like that.

I can't ride like that so I'll keep my upper body strength.

BarryJo 09-03-09 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by frankum (Post 9610762)
I laugh everytime I see a cyclist with those skinny muscle-less looking arms. Makes me just want to run over and punch 'em in the arm and probably snap a bone. Anywho, I lift weights & swim and make sure I don't get nasty skinny arms. Thoughts?:thumb:

Post a photo of your massive guns and your wussy legs and then we can give you our thoughts.

frankum 09-03-09 07:13 PM

Haha I just realized something... I'm guessing all three of the posters are offended by this thread lol. Hit the gym 'lil guys lol

scotch 09-03-09 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by frankum (Post 9610791)

sure it is. :twitchy:

bigtea 09-03-09 07:18 PM

Skinny arms? Hardly a problem with me. I don't mind the humiliation on climbs, let the mountain elves have their fun. My performance is much better at the beach.

tubescreamerx 09-03-09 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by frankum (Post 9610817)
Haha I just realized something... I'm guessing all three of the posters are offended by this thread lol. Hit the gym 'lil guys lol

I just realized something... You think we actually care whether or not you approve of pro cyclists' arm definition.

frankum 09-03-09 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by tubescreamerx (Post 9610831)
I just realized something... You think we actually care whether or not you approve of pro cyclists' arm definition.

I just realized something... You think I actually care what you think. Lol this was just a lighthearted topic... Geez

Treespeed 09-03-09 07:21 PM

Man I bet the excuses come fast and furious when the hills start. LOL
20lbs of big guns is no different than a 20lb spare tire when the roads point skywards.

tubescreamerx 09-03-09 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by frankum (Post 9610838)
I just realized something... You think I actually care what you think. Lol this was just a lighthearted topic... Geez

You still don't get it.

If you don't care, then why did you post here and start a thread? :lol:

You're trying to get a rise out of roadies, but the problem is that your topic lacks, well... anything interesting. :crash:

lukasz 09-03-09 07:24 PM

So you're rating the attractiveness of other men.

crispy010 09-03-09 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by lukasz (Post 9610864)
So you're rating the attractiveness of other men.

heh.... Winnar :)

Stanger 09-03-09 07:28 PM

I agree with you, Frankum. It stands out to me as well. There are many aspects of fitness, not just cycling. That is why the winners of the Crossfit games are considered the fittest man and woman in the world. Don't just race bikes, don't just run, don't just lift, don't just swim. I would rather be 90% in all categories than 100% in one. So, to conclude, when I see a super skinny armed cyclist, I see a person that is completely missing a big part of fitness.

the shark 09-03-09 07:31 PM

http://media.npr.org/news/images/200...g?t=1248646854

Your comments are just to stir up crap and say you are better than skinny cyclist vs a cycling discussion.

I get my ass kicked every ride by guys with smaller builds especially on a hill. But that does not make we want to punch them or laugh. Heck they probably think I am dumb to carry upper body mass as it is simply a detriment in cycling and running.

frankum 09-03-09 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Stanger (Post 9610894)
I agree with you, Frankum. It stands out to me as well. There are many aspects of fitness, not just cycling. That is why the winners of the Crossfit games are considered the fittest man and woman in the world. Don't just race bikes, don't just run, don't just lift, don't just swim. I would rather be 90% in all categories than 100% in one. So, to conclude, when I see a super skinny armed cyclist, I see a person that is completely missing a big part of fitness.

Agreed. Thats the point I'm trying to make. Because that can't possibly be 'healthy'. I mean isn't that the point of cycling, in some aspects, to be get healthy & become fit? But when you ride SO much, and don't focus on other parts of fitness, you become unhealthy because you don't balance out your training and get, in my opinion, unhealthy parts... like skinny arms. How can you lift a bag of salt or the something similar in weight with arms like that? I know that these opinions are biased. Just discussing.

Originally Posted by the shark (Post 9610918)
Your comments are just to stir up crap and say you are better than skinny cyclist vs a cycling discussion.
I get my ass kicked every ride by guys with smaller builds especially on a hill. But that does not make we want to punch them or laugh. Heck they probably think I am dumb to carry upper body mass as it is simply a detriment in cycling and running.

So you don't want upper body mass? You don't want to be able to do a pushup? You don't want to be able to pull yourself up on a bar? Thats fitness too, just as much as cycling is. It's silly to have your body so unbalanced, especially to that extreme where wrists connect to shoulders as opposed to forearms.

twocoasttb 09-03-09 07:34 PM

Your definition of fitness, maybe. Which no one else really cares about.

My arms might be skinny, but they aren't weak. I don't give a toss what you would think about them, or how you would quantify my fitness.

tubescreamerx 09-03-09 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by frankum (Post 9610924)
Agreed. Thats the point I'm trying to make. Because that can't possibly be 'healthy'. I mean isn't that the point of cycling, in some aspects, to be get healthy & become fit? But when you ride SO much, and don't focus on other parts of fitness, you become unhealthy because you don't balance out your training and get, in my opinion, unhealthy parts... like skinny arms. How can you lift a bag of salt or the something similar in weight with arms like that? I know that these opinions are biased. Just discussing.

The point of pro cycling is to cross the finish line first or have the lowest overall time. Carrying unnecessary weight in your upper body is ludicrous.

You may have an opinion, but it isn't relevant when we're discussing what cyclists do to WIN. There is little reason for you or I to be so singular in training... for others, it makes sense. Lastly, I'm sure this cyclist can lift a 40-pound bag of salt. 'Guns' are not necessary for most daily activities, however plyometric they may be. As twocoast stated, there is no 1:1 relationship between mass and strength.

roadiejorge 09-03-09 07:43 PM

Some people balance out their fitness and others just specialize in one area, not quite sure what the problem is exactly. Pro cyclists aren't competing in triathalons or weightlifting competitions and their lighter weight and high endurance is much more beneficial than having added muscle weight.

efficiency 09-03-09 07:45 PM

You lose credibility for mentioning that.

DataJunkie 09-03-09 07:46 PM

If I remarry with the way my arms are now I will have to ask her to carry me across the threshold.
Thus, I have started strength training targeting the upper body. I have a thin frame and will never bulk up much. Tone is a nice thing.

superdex 09-03-09 07:47 PM

yawn