Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Lever Ergonomics (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1266489)

Rolla 01-20-23 09:11 PM

Lever Ergonomics

Regardless of what's at the other end of the line, which brake lever -- drop or flat-bar -- do you find to be the most comfortable in your hand?

Bonus question: Which shifter/brifter fits you like a glove?

Koyote 01-20-23 09:25 PM

I've got several different generations of Shimano STIs, everything from nine speed to eleven speed, 105 and Ultegra, and I've never given a second thought to any of them. They're all fine.

genejockey 01-20-23 09:33 PM

Ultegra R8000s on my Litespeed.

Rolla 01-20-23 09:35 PM

Hood shape and size are probably factors, too. Sram definitely fits me differently than Shimano, Campy, etc.

Kontact 01-20-23 09:48 PM

Suntour SL or GPX.

veganbikes 01-20-23 09:50 PM

I would say brake lever wise the SRAM S500 levers, they have always had really excellent ergonomics. I don't like their shifting but the actual brake levers are excellent.

I also like the 6850 Di2 levers they feel pretty excellent as well but I have to really do some side by side riding to really determine which one is my absolute favorite but I do love the Shimano Di2 shifting.

smd4 01-20-23 09:52 PM

Dura Ace 7402 brake levers with 7700 down tube levers work great for me.

genejockey 01-20-23 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by smd4 (Post 22775968)
Dura Ace 7402 brake levers with 7700 down tube lever’s work great for me.

(levers. "lever's" is possessive)

Kontact 01-21-23 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22776020)
(levers. "lever's" is possessive)

Incorrect capitalization and punctuation.
(Levers; "lever's" is possessive.)

LarrySellerz 01-21-23 02:57 AM

I prefer the brakes on flat bars ergonomically speaking, I've hurt my hand when having to brake unexpectedly while on the hoods and holding something. Your thumb has more potential for getting torqued wrapped around the hoods than when riding flat bars. In the drops this problem goes away, but then youre riding in the drops.

Germany_chris 01-21-23 03:22 AM

For flat bars and interrupters I like Paul. My issue comes with drop bars, I prefer the hood and lever shape of campy, but prefer the shifting of SRAM

wolfchild 01-21-23 04:45 AM

I prefer MTB style brake levers and handlebars...I tried drop bars on two of my bikes for about 2 years and I just couldn't get used to operating brake levers from the hoods or drops...Drop bars / lever never felt right to me and I have no plans of ever going back to them. As for shifters, last time I used them was about 15 years ago on my MTB. They were Shimano Deore XT, the brake lever and shifter was integrated together. I hated the integrated type lever / shifter combo. If I ever decide to build a multi geared bike I will want to keep my brake levers and shifter separate

elcruxio 01-21-23 05:21 AM

Never did like the previous generation shimano road levers (current Sora). The current generation GRX however is pretty fantastic. It's markedly longer so my hands fit on them much better. They're also flatter.

I used to ride Sram S500 and then went with the current Sram mechanic shape, which I found to be an improvement. But after getting used to GRX I doubt I'll go back to Sram.

As to flat bar levers, doesn't really matter which I use. As long as the lever is 1 or 2 finger shape and has reach adjust it's all the same really. Grips are far more important in that regard.

KerryIrons 01-21-23 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Rolla (Post 22775928)
Regardless of what's at the other end of the line, which brake lever -- drop or flat-bar -- do you find to be the most comfortable in your hand?

Bonus question: Which shifter/brifter fits you like a glove?

Literally decades of internet bike forum experience shows, without a doubt, that different people have different shaped hands, different riding styles, different sensitivities, and different etc. Therefore, it is a proven fact that different people prefer different lever shapes. Full stop. Next question please.

genejockey 01-21-23 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Kontact (Post 22776071)

The parentheses indicate whispering.

Rolla 01-21-23 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Germany_chris (Post 22776083)
For flat bars and interrupters I like Paul. My issue comes with drop bars, I prefer the hood and lever shape of campy, but prefer the shifting of SRAM

Agreed on the Campy lever shape. I dislike the size of the Sram Force shifter paddles on my canti CX bike -- when in the curve of the drop, braking with index and 2nd finger, the paddle hits my other two fingers unless I dial the lever reach to the point where the brake pads hit the rim earlier in the lever throw than I want it to.

Rolla 01-21-23 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by KerryIrons (Post 22776264)
it is a proven fact that different people prefer different lever shapes.

Um... that's why I'm asking. I wasn't expecting there to be consensus.

Originally Posted by KerryIrons (Post 22776264)
Next question please.

OK. Is having"literally decades of internet bike forum experience" something to brag about? :foo:

smd4 01-21-23 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22776279)

Yous guys shur ar smart!

Rolla 01-21-23 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by elcruxio (Post 22776107)
As long as the lever is 1 or 2 finger shape and has reach adjust it's all the same really. Grips are far more important in that regard.

Agreed that grips are also important. Having used chunky grips for years, I now prefer them thinner. But I also prefer a wider and flatter brake lever shape. I have a pair of V.O. canti levers that are elegantly shaped, but the lever itself is very narrow, so it digs into my fingers more than I want it to.

smd4 01-21-23 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Kontact (Post 22776071)

”Contact” is spelled with a “C.”

Rolla 01-21-23 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by wolfchild (Post 22776095)
I prefer MTB style brake levers and handlebars... If I ever decide to build a multi geared bike I will want to keep my brake levers and shifter separate

Fortunately, that's easy to do. Integrated brake and shift levers for flat bars seem to have faded in popularity.

ofajen 01-21-23 10:52 AM

For flat bar or MTB type levers, I like the 1 or 2-finger type. I’ve had Tektro levers with sharper edges along the lever, but much prefer the levers with a more rounded cross section along the gripping length.

For drop bar levers, I’ve generally been happy with the brake levers themselves, but less happy when the hoods require me to bear weight between thumb and forefinger where nerves are. Something I may try is to ride the straight part of the drops mainly, turned up at least 15 degrees and bring the brake levers down so it’s almost like a pursuit bar brake setup. Kind of like an old vintage road bike.

My best compromise at the moment is a flat bar with Scott bar ends placed between the grips and brake levers and bar foam in the usual grip location, on the bar ends and between the brake levers and stem clamp. I use old stem shifters to leave more places on the bars for hands.

Otto

Kontact 01-21-23 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22776279)

(I didn't correct the parentheses.)

But I did point out how ridiculous it is for you to post corrections of other adults spelling on a bike forum.

genejockey 01-21-23 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Kontact (Post 22776391)
(I didn't correct the parentheses.)

But I did point out how ridiculous it is for you to post corrections of other adults spelling on a bike forum.

I chose lower case intentionally because, as the parentheses indicated, it was a whisper. So, no caps. Also, if we don't stamp out the overuse of the apostrophe, where will it all end?

Kontact 01-21-23 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by smd4 (Post 22776324)
”Contact” is spelled with a “C.”

Proper names don't have correct spellings. It says so on my iPhone.