Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Training & Nutrition (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   why eat a cookie? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1243119)

rumrunn6 12-02-21 07:25 AM

why eat a cookie?

seriously, why would one eat a cookie? I had breakfast, I'm not hungry, but I have to walk by this pile of pastry over & over throughout the day. is the cookie going to make me happy? sure it will bring me brief joy, maybe. but then I'll have regret. will it change my life for the better? not likely. I can not think of any good reason to eat the cookie
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e003d5b21f.jpg
here's hoping writing about it, will help keep me away from the cookie

pdlamb 12-02-21 08:21 AM

Yum. The Danish I could resist, but the scones look like they'd be great with some coffee or hot tea to wash them down. And since I'm riding a lot, I won't gain weight. Or at least not much.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how I put on my Covid 20 working from home.

(Does that help?)

work4bike 12-02-21 08:57 AM

....because I deserve it:)

MinnMan 12-02-21 09:08 AM

As I have celiac disease, eating that stuff would make me sick. That's a pretty strong disincentive.

But there are other temptations, and so it's still a concern for me, too.

burnthesheep 12-02-21 09:28 AM

The social media influencer Gaimon eats tons of cookies and can steal KOM's from pros. I think you're good.

blacknbluebikes 12-02-21 12:07 PM

As the Oracle said, "have a cookie, Neo."

zandoval 12-02-21 12:20 PM

I'll Eat It For Ya...

burnthesheep 12-02-21 01:09 PM

FWIW, I was headed out for a lunch ride on this great warm day just now. Someone stopped me and said "donut?". I thought about it, and they said "you'll burn it in 10min anyway".

I ate it and smashed out a sweet spot 40k in 1:01:00 for my troubles. No "f's" given about the single 200cal donut. Rocket fuel.

Seattle Forrest 12-02-21 01:40 PM

I forgot this about office work. Every time I went past the break room there was a pile of diabetes on the table. I hope WFH never ends.

Iride01 12-02-21 02:15 PM

It's okay to eat the cookie. Just don't eat the cookie every hour of every day. Remember it's a treat, not nutritious food.

When I compare the SAD to what I was being told by my mom back in the 60's, it's truly sad to see that what back then was considered treats is now mainstays of the diets for many today.

I even remember when McDonald's came on the scene in Chicago that having a hamburger was considered a treat and not something to eat daily or even weekly. Oh how the ad men have changed that idea.

Darth Lefty 12-02-21 02:28 PM

Eat the cookie to justify riding more

genejockey 12-02-21 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by pdlamb (Post 22326482)
Yum. The Danish I could resist, but the scones look like they'd be great with some coffee or hot tea to wash them down. And since I'm riding a lot, I won't gain weight. Or at least not much.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how I put on my Covid 20 working from home.

(Does that help?)

Interestingly, working from home is how I managed my COVID -30. No more going out for a burrito for lunch, or Popeyes, or whatever fast food is nearby. I couldn't justify going out for lunch when there was food in the fridge at home. The danger period we're now in - Thanksgiving through New Years, when vendors ply us with cookies etc. - nobody brought anything. That, and it was easier to find time to ride in the afternoon.

wolfchild 12-02-21 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 22326417)
seriously, why would one eat a cookie?

Why, because there is nothing bad about eating a cookie.

downtube42 12-02-21 06:59 PM

Because it's there

Darth Lefty 12-02-21 07:48 PM

After reading this thread I went to a meeting, the first catered meeting I know of in a year and a half, and they had overbought catering by about half a dozen people. Due to most of my dept moving to the deep south and then covid there's no one here to graze so I took three pastries home for my kids.

GhostRider62 12-03-21 05:08 AM

I could probably eat half a dozen of these on a long ride, especially with all that lovely butter and cream.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8af70c90a3.jpg

ZHVelo 12-03-21 03:50 PM

Because it's fatty?

I suggest crepes made with low-fat milk and no eggs and top it off with sugar and jam. The sugar crystals will add crunchiness to every bite, heaven.

And all you did was refill your glycogen stores, no need to feel guilty.

tempocyclist 12-03-21 06:25 PM

Life is short, eat the damn cookie.

😁

burnthesheep 12-03-21 06:30 PM

Just to pile on...................Did my 2nd metric century this week. Nothing fancy. Just off season volume.

I almost shed a tear arriving at my fave brewery at mile 60. Arrived at 2:15, don't open till 3:00. I had forgotten. Not enough time to keep spinning and circle back. Womp womp womp. :(

I don't advocate this or glorify it, but worth mentioning a 2x hour record holder and 2x UCI world champ stripes wearer was a pretty avid alcoholic in his cycling prime. He had demons. But dude still smashed the hour record/tt/pursuit. And alcohol problems are 100000x worse than a cookie or two. Just to say, a treat won't kill ya.

canklecat 12-03-21 10:32 PM

It's fuel. Enjoy every cookie.

The only problem is timing cookie consumption around workouts. Due to a chronic upper respiratory inflammation going on two months now, I've ridden my bike only twice in two months (vertigo from the inflammation), and have cut way back on the intensity of my usual 3-7 mile running sessions -- mostly walking and intermittent jogging. But I'm still eating the same way, so I've put on a few pudge... umm, pounds... the past few weeks.

Darth Lefty 12-04-21 12:19 AM

If you eat a rookie you gain all his strength and he can no longer challenge your supremacy

GhostRider62 12-05-21 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by ZHVelo (Post 22328002)
Because it's fatty?

I suggest crepes made with low-fat milk and no eggs and top it off with sugar and jam. The sugar crystals will add crunchiness to every bite, heaven.

And all you did was refill your glycogen stores, no need to feel guilty.

Because butter and cream is so, so yummy, because when I throw it into the blast furnace, it burns a long time. I'm a diesel.

spelger 12-05-21 08:48 PM

There isn't a cookie I've eaten that I ever regretted.

fooferdoggie 12-05-21 10:36 PM

I have carb intolerance and it took years of beating myself up with carbs to finally lose the craving for them. they destroyed my esophagus because al the heartburn they caused and they make me foggy headed and caused several accidents. that and they drain my energy is what got me to stop. but it is still sometimes hard. so now the cookie is easy to resist. carbs are so had to not eat. they are EVIL.

Connell 12-05-21 10:54 PM

Because one day you'll be on your deathbed, looking back at your life and you'll think "I should've eaten the damn cookie."