Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

abshipp 07-10-20 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21580423)
AG and I were just watching Jeopardy (rough day for me on it, but Final Jeopardy came to me right at the end). I only bring this up because one of the contestants was from the Football Fail day, and AG asked what it was so I showed her. She was laughing so hard it looked like she was crying.

Final Jeopordy is so tough, I don't think I have ever had the answer.

My complete lack of pop culture knowledge certainly doesn't help.

indyfabz 07-10-20 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21580536)

Five times I have gotten the final Jeopardy! question based on the category alone. The first time the category was The Periodic Table. The second time it was Text Books. I considered that one to be a relatively easy. How many we’ll-known text books can you think of?

Velo Vol 07-10-20 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21580406)
I have a fine bicycle cycle reserve, thank you.

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21580440)
I'm good.

Actually thinking of selling 3 of them.

Are you sharing with the public?

LAJ 07-10-20 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21580568)

Of course.

Velo Vol 07-10-20 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21580555)
Five times I have gotten the final Jeopardy! question based on the category alone.

You didn't even need the answer? Kudos.

LesterOfPuppets 07-10-20 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21580568)

Are you in the market for late 70s lugged steel singlespeeds? Gonna have a different saddle on the ladies rig. Guess I should break out the 5w-30 and oil the chain too :)

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c1ec49e2b.jpeg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...cf7999589.jpeg

Bah Humbug 07-10-20 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21580536)

Kipling isn't exactly pop culture. ;)

Bah Humbug 07-10-20 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21580580)

I did that at least once that I remember. The category was "stamps", and it was shortly after the Dr Seuss stamp had been issued. I guessed immediately and was right.

indyfabz 07-10-20 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21580580)

Correct. We used to watch Jeopardy! at my local. A guy I know from there did it twice in one week.

True story: A regular who was really smart tried out for the show 5 times before making it to the contestant pool. He subsequently stopped showing up. One evening, while Jeopardy! was on, I was talking to a customer about him when the bartender started freaking out and told me took at the TV. The guy was on the show. He was leading going into final jeopardy but ended up last after missing a pretty easy question. He later died of kidney cancer.

Velo Vol 07-10-20 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21580590)
Are you in the market for late 70s lugged steel singlespeeds? Gonna have a different saddle on the ladies rig. Guess I should break out the 5w-30 and oil the chain too :)

Not really, though I do covet its simplicity.

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21580592)
I did that at least once that I remember. The category was "stamps", and it was shortly after the Dr Seuss stamp had been issued. I guessed immediately and was right.

I would have guessed the upside down aeroplane stamp.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...798245b2e6.jpg

abshipp 07-10-20 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21580591)
Kipling isn't exactly pop culture. ;)

Huh?

:innocent:

Bah Humbug 07-10-20 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21580555)
Five times I have gotten the final Jeopardy! question based on the category alone. The first time the category was The Periodic Table. The second time it was Text Books. I considered that one to be a relatively easy. How many we’ll-known text books can you think of?

Text Books must have been Gray's Anatomy. What was The Periodic Table?

Bah Humbug 07-10-20 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21580604)
Not really, though I do covet its simplicity.

I would have guessed the upsidedown aeroplane stamp.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...798245b2e6.jpg

Not shortly after the Dr Seuss one had been in the news though, right after he passed.

Bah Humbug 07-10-20 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21580605)
Huh?

:innocent:

"19th century" knocks it thoroughly out of "pop culture"! :p

I was stumped for a while because the answer was "This character's name translates as 'Tiger King'". I was stumped at first because I assumed Latin and was trying to fill in <blank> Rex.

Velo Vol 07-10-20 05:16 PM

Hodges Harbrace Handbook!

2manybikes 07-10-20 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21579569)
From the morning ride -

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9a6ef83298.jpg

Damn thing started running towards me when we saw each other, so I swung wide just in case it was a little off its rocker.

Good decision, Being in daylight and an open area, could be rabies.

MoAlpha 07-10-20 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by 2manybikes (Post 21580655)
Good decision, Being in daylight and an open area, could be rabies.

Always in mind, but they are amazingly habituated to urban environments and human activity around here.

Bah Humbug 07-10-20 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21580602)
Correct. We used to watch Jeopardy! at my local. A guy I know from there did it twice in one week.

True story: A regular who was really smart tried out for the show 5 times before making it to the contestant pool. He subsequently stopped showing up. One evening, while Jeopardy! was on, I was talking to a customer about him when the bartender started freaking out and told me took at the TV. The guy was on the show. He was leading going into final jeopardy but ended up last after missing a pretty easy question. He later died of kidney cancer.

That story took a bit of a turn at the end!

There's an ex-offensive-lineman named Ross Tucker who's built himself a bit of a podcast empire. One of his favorite stories was one summer early on working for his parents' propane company and walking into a customer's house and seeing the kid playing Madden. He told the kid to go to the Buffalo Bills and pull up number *whatever* The kid did, looked up, looked down, looked up, and called "Mooooooom! The guy from the propane is on the game!".

He has not died of kidney cancer, nor anything else.

DougRNS 07-10-20 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21579913)
What's on your to-do list today?

That content requires a paid subscription.

Bah Humbug 07-10-20 06:34 PM

The No Country for Old Men ride is still on, apparently. Is it crazy that I'm considering it?

Velo Vol 07-10-20 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 21580708)
That content requires a paid subscription.

<==Not paying

DougRNS 07-10-20 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21580740)
<==Not paying

Problem solved. You're welcome.

rjones28 07-10-20 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21579516)
Why would you even say that?

No reason.

LAJ 07-10-20 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21580736)
The No Country for Old Men ride is still on, apparently. Is it crazy that I'm considering it?

208, 383, 1000? Lordy. They're generous on time, but dang.

rjones28 07-10-20 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21579647)
For example, mowing--should be simple, right?

Yesterday I did the tough effort phases (push mowing, weedeating) first and got roasted by the pre-winter sun. I don't care what the thermometer says, 10 a.m. - 1p.m. is the hottest part of the day. There were clouds overhead but weirdly none of them ever seemed to cover the sun.

So when I get on the tractor, then it decides to cloud over. Half way through a thunderstorm hits. It has to rain sometime, so that's fine. But being a rational person, I want to finish all the mowing in one session. I went under cover for a quick snooze while I waited for the storm to pass.

Wake up 45 minutes later and the storm entered a zombie phase. There continued to be rumbles of thunder, annoying light rain, even as there were substantial patches of blue sky not far from overhead. It literally rained another 15-20 minutes after the sun came out. :wtf:

tl;dr yesterday the weather conspired to make Velo Vol's mowing difficult.

No mowing here. The lawns are extra crispy.