Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

seedsbelize2 10-04-21 02:20 PM

Since I lost that bit of weight, almost a year ago now(wow!), my wedding ring has been falling off a lot. I'm thinking of wrapping it with angora yarn to make it fit better. Thoughts?

Velo Vol 10-04-21 02:21 PM

Now I've got another problem. I try to Firefox screenshot on Google Maps and it come up a black image when I post here.

wut

Mojo31 10-04-21 02:22 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22256860)
Since I lost that bit of weight, almost a year ago now(wow!), my wedding ring has been falling off a lot. I'm thinking of wrapping it with angora yarn to make it fit better. Thoughts?

Neon orange. That way if it falls off in the jungle it'll be easier to find.

datlas 10-04-21 02:23 PM

I just did a telemedicine visit with a patient who is also a fellow cyclist. He said he knows FOUR cyclists who have been killed while riding, including an ex co-worker who got hit head-on by a car that crossed the center lane recently. He said he is pretty much done with road cycling due to safety concerns. I told him I respect that decision. Sad.

seedsbelize2 10-04-21 02:24 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22256855)
I have a 30 year old plastic one with a name. It used to be neon yellow, but it now has a grey crust. :(


https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...bd7abc7b30.jpg

My older aluminum ones have that grey crust too.

Velo Vol 10-04-21 02:24 PM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22256817)
Because you overfill your water bottles but don't drink out of them. They leak, and rust out your cages.

It wasn't rusted.


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22256827)
Finite fatigue strength of aluminum?


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22256830)
Metal fatigue? I am suspecting it was aluminum which can fatigue.

Fatigue? From a small bottle of water? What is this nonsense?

genejockey 10-04-21 02:25 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22256839)
It just hasn't happened yet. With aluminum, it will happen....eventually. Such is the nature of the material.

It may not happen in your lifetime, but someday, they'll break! Mark my words!

genejockey 10-04-21 02:27 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22256869)
Fatigue? From a small bottle of water? What is this nonsense?

It's not the bottle per se, but rather the flexing of the cage when you put the bottle in and take it out.

Eric F 10-04-21 02:30 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22256869)
Fatigue? From a small bottle of water? What is this nonsense?

Unlike some other metals (steel and ti, for example), aluminum doesn't have a fatigue limit where it can cycle an unlimited amount of times under that threshold without failure. Aluminum will eventually succumb to fatigue failure. It's inevitable. (This is stuff I learned recently, thanks to BF).

genejockey 10-04-21 02:31 PM

Turns out there's an interesting side-effect of Facebook being down - if you used "Login Using Facebook" to set up your Strava account, you can't get into it at the moment.

EDIT: Unless you remember your old account info, that is.

sbxx1985 10-04-21 02:31 PM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22256790)
It's important.

It is important. For example, when I was young, I paired the new Zipp carbon cages with Enve wheels. The horror.


https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...53a29d100e.jpg

Eric F 10-04-21 02:32 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22256866)
I just did a telemedicine visit with a patient who is also a fellow cyclist. He said he knows FOUR cyclists who have been killed while riding, including an ex co-worker who got hit head-on by a car that crossed the center lane recently. He said he is pretty much done with road cycling due to safety concerns. I told him I respect that decision. Sad.

:cry:

rjones28 10-04-21 02:32 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22256798)
Also discussion-worthy: why did my original metal water bottle cage break? wut

Cheap aluminum cage. Prolly.

WhyFi 10-04-21 02:32 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22256800)
My Ultegra groupset was supposed to be delivered by FedEx on Saturday. According to their tracking it was about 1 hour away from me on Saturday, in Allentown PA.

Now they say it's delayed and location is now 2 hours away from me in North Jersey, and the site won't give me an estimated delivery date.

Is this SOP for FedEx?!?

Yes, disappointment is SOP when expecting the delivery of a new groupset.

Eric F 10-04-21 02:34 PM


Originally Posted by sbxx1985 (Post 22256890)
It is important. For example, when I was young, I paired the new Zipp carbon cages with Enve wheels. The horror.


https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...53a29d100e.jpg

If is wasn't for that blasphemous blunder, that would be a really hot bike.

sbxx1985 10-04-21 02:37 PM

I would give you a weight on the Mandible, but it's being held hostage by Photobucket.

WhyFi 10-04-21 02:37 PM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22256791)
I have a hard time justifying dropping 100 bucks on bottle cages.

I couldn't spend 100 bucks on bottle cages, either... unless they were normally 200 bucks and on sale for 50% off - that's totally different.

Mojo31 10-04-21 02:38 PM


Originally Posted by sbxx1985 (Post 22256890)
It is important. For example, when I was young, I paired the new Zipp carbon cages with Enve wheels. The horror.


https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...53a29d100e.jpg

Can't unsee that. SMH

rjones28 10-04-21 02:40 PM

Bottle cages on bikes found in the drop bar section of the rjones28 motorpool.

S-Works Carbon Rib Cage III in natural carbon weave
Standard Rib Cage II in red and white

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3ac02aa8d4.jpg

Velo Vol 10-04-21 02:40 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22256885)
Unlike some other metals (steel and ti, for example), aluminum doesn't have a fatigue limit where it can cycle an unlimited amount of times under that threshold without failure. Aluminum will eventually succumb to fatigue failure. It's inevitable. (This is stuff I learned recently, thanks to BF).

What about an aluminum bat?

genejockey 10-04-21 02:40 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22256896)
If is wasn't for that blasphemous blunder, that would be a really hot bike.

Though, seeing the brand name makes me think of "The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty" - the original James Thurber story, not the Ben Stiller movie. Every mechanical item in his daydreams always went, "pocketa...pocketa...pocketa"

LesterOfPuppets 10-04-21 02:42 PM

I guess that Specialized cage wasn't neon yellow afterall.

Is $55 for a pair of 30-year-old plastic bottle cages a good deal?

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2639bfeb6d.jpg

genejockey 10-04-21 02:42 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22256903)

You should replace the two white cages with a yellow and a green one, just to drive VV mad with your lack of matching.

sbxx1985 10-04-21 02:45 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22256896)
If is wasn't for that blasphemous blunder, that would be a really hot bike.

Thanks. I came to my senses on the next one. Mandible was the best strength/weight option. Two cages for serious riders.


https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5ffc8cd024.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9354b4402a.jpg

genejockey 10-04-21 02:48 PM

The other thing about Facebook being down is that I am unable to respond to my niece's most recent antivax post which tries to tug at your heartstrings about how "You were okay with me when I took care of your Dad..." and similar things a healthcare worker would do, but then "You threw me away because I made a choice about my healthcare..." which is all very well, but my niece is a used car salesman, not a HCW.

I was going to point out that unvaxed HCWs made a "healthcare choice", and we are also making a healthcare choice by requiring them to be vaccinated, but FB went down before I could share this pearl of wisdom with her.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:50 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.