Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Night riding with coyotes. (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1228862)

JohnnyB65 04-22-21 03:53 PM

Night riding with coyotes.

It’s going to be getting too hot for me to ride during the day soon and I want to start riding at night before bed time to help me sleep. Plus the full moon is coming up and I’ve always wanted to ride then. I’ve had to deal with dogs chasing me over the years and always managed to stop them by yelling commands.

I now live outside the city in the desert and we have lots of coyotes hunting at night so I’m not so sure if I can command them to stay away. I know they can take down a deer and I’ve been told that they can sense health weaknesses which worries me because I’m over 70 with health issues and can’t really move that fast. I’ve heard many stories about bike riders being chased by cougars and bears, but never heard anything about coyotes.

Rolla 04-22-21 04:17 PM

Any coyotes I've ever encountered have always been very timid and have gone out of their way to avoid contact. I don't think they typically view adult humans as prey.

Cyclist0108 04-22-21 04:39 PM

If you are really worried, carry a can of Halt! like mailhumans use for thwarting dog attacks. But I'm very confident you will never need it.

tomato coupe 04-22-21 04:40 PM

I'd be shocked if you could get within 100 ft. of a coyote.

JohnnyB65 04-22-21 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Rolla (Post 22026956)
Any coyotes I've ever encountered have always been very timid and have gone out of their way to avoid contact. I don't think they typically view adult humans as prey.

There’s one really big male that passes through my property at night. I’ve seen him many times at night with my high-powered flashlight and he doesn’t seem afraid. I also see females with 2 or 3 young passing through in the early mornings. The young ones have stalked my dog, but as soon as the mom sees me, she runs the pups off.

JohnnyB65 04-22-21 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by wgscott (Post 22026986)
If you are really worried, carry a can of Halt! like mailhumans use for thwarting dog attacks. But I'm very confident you will never need it.

Oh I never thought of that, Thanks

Cyclist0108 04-22-21 05:21 PM

A friend of mine had her dog killed by a coyote. The golden retriever puppy in my avatar was stalked a few times when she was little, but nothing came of it. I've seen a few around here that don't seem to have any fear. But we also have mountain lions, which are a more significant threat.

woodcraft 04-22-21 05:30 PM

I had one make a half hearted charge at me, at dusk, but that was very unusual.

JohnnyB65 04-22-21 05:31 PM

I had a flat tire on my truck once in the desert during the day and had 3 good sized coyotes watching me. They would move in close every time I had to lay down in the dirt to jack up the axel and then they would back off every time I stood up. I just don't know how it would have worked out at night.

Troul 04-22-21 05:31 PM

carry mace or a tazer. Just don't carry any whiteclaws!

JohnnyB65 04-22-21 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by woodcraft (Post 22027056)
i had one make a half hearted charge at me, at dusk, but that was very unusual.

wow!

woodcraft 04-22-21 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyB65 (Post 22027060)
wow!

It wasn't a big deal- I think it was young & inexperienced.

JohnnyB65 04-22-21 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis (Post 22027074)
Had coyotes jog along side of the road at night while riding in the mountains. I see one mostly and rarely 2 but they jog along for 20 feet or so then duck in the brush. They never seem to care that I'm there.

But, if I ride alone at night, I take something that could double as a weapon. Anything that will poke and animals eye out if needed.

I used work in the mountains and saw many Mountain Lions. I was always told not to run or it would trigger a reaction and I was worried that if I road past a coyote it might trigger a chase like dogs do.

runaway42 04-22-21 06:35 PM

There are a lot of coyotes where I live and I might ride pretty often and I’ve never had them come near me. I’ve heard them in the distance but never had them come close. I think if you’re making some noise they’ll stay away.

gringomojado 04-22-21 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Troul (Post 22027058)
carry mace or a tazer. Just don't carry any whiteclaws!

What is a white claw?

canklecat 04-22-21 06:55 PM

I worry more about dogs than coyotes and other predators. Feral and even untrained domesticated dogs are the most dangerous. Most people who "own" dogs aren't responsible dog owners. They're just dog keepers and feeders, without a clue about responsible ownership and training. When an untrained domesticated dog behaves aggressively and the owner fails to correct it, the dog "learns" that the owner gives tacit approval to such aggression and the dog repeats that behavior, thinking it's doing what its owner wants, "protecting" it's people and turf. Those are the most dangerous animals most of us will ever encounter. It's the human's fault, not the dog's.

When I was stationed in SoCal in the 1970s I often rode my bike at night, and hiked through the Cleveland forest and surrounding chaparral, I often saw and heard coyotes, large owls and occasional bobcats. Never saw any larger wild cats, although I'm sure they were around. No problems.

I worried a bit more about owls, which can be unexpectedly effective hunters against moving objects such as cyclists. A few hikers have reported being struck by owls, suffering scalp damage a shock. At least one fall from elevation and death was attributed to an owl attack. I doubt owls deliberately "attack humans" but may swoop potential prey, or defend its nest if we get too close. In Texas, mockingbirds are the most aggressive nest defenders, notorious for swooping passersby. No reports of serious injuries from mockers, just hurt feelings.

These critters are common in Texas too. I usually carry pepper gel spray. Takes a bit more care to aim, but there's no overspray to splatter back into our faces. It's this model from Sabre -- small, lightweight, decent range. I clip it onto my waistband or suspender with a carabiner, belt loop with shorts and jeans, etc. Some folks use elastic holders around their forearms to keep it handy. Whatever works and encourages you to actually carry it.

I've used it once, during a walk when a dog charged me. I'd already spotted the dog behaving oddly from about 100 yards away and had the pepper spray in my hand. It was skulking in the middle of the road, ignoring traffic, apparently gnawing on road kill. It seemed clumsy, with a weird gait and posture, so I worried it might be rabid. As I approached it charged and I pointed and fired -- the gel hit it square in the muzzle and eyes. The dog immediately veered away and was struck a glancing blow by a passing car. The dog ran away, apparently unharmed. No idea what happened to it afterward.

Anyway, unfortunate story. But shows the effectiveness of good pepper spray, even in gel form.

Reminds me, I need to order another since the one I got was from 2018 and has been used once.

The only gripe I have about that specific Sabre model is the finger guard doesn't actually give a tactile clue to proper hold. If the finger nub is held between forefinger and middle finger, which feels normal, you'll actually spray your forefinger. So whenever I hold it I have to consciously remind myself to keep my forefinger below the finger nub.

JohnnyB65 04-22-21 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by runaway42 (Post 22027122)
There are a lot of coyotes where I live and I might ride pretty often and I’ve never had them come near me. I’ve heard them in the distance but never had them come close. I think if you’re making some noise they’ll stay away.

I probably would feel better if I weren't alone.

Flip Flop Rider 04-22-21 08:02 PM

better safe than sorry. Figure out an effective way to be armed

atwl77 04-22-21 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by runaway42 (Post 22027122)

As long as it isn't "beep! beep!"

drlogik 04-22-21 08:09 PM

I used to live in Arizona and never heard of problems with coyotes and cyclists, hikers or hunters. Now, you "could" encounter one with rabies but that's a one-off. My personal experience with coyotes, and I saw them virtually every night on our property, is that if they see you, they run away. You could arm yourself with a pepper spray if it makes you more comfortable but I don't think there's anything to worry about.

SkinGriz 04-22-21 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyB65 (Post 22026916)
It’s going to be getting too hot for me to ride during the day soon and I want to start riding at night before bed time to help me sleep. Plus the full moon is coming up and I’ve always wanted to ride then. I’ve had to deal with dogs chasing me over the years and always managed to stop them by yelling commands.

I now live outside the city in the desert and we have lots of coyotes hunting at night so I’m not so sure if I can command them to stay away. I know they can take down a deer and I’ve been told that they can sense health weaknesses which worries me because I’m over 70 with health issues and can’t really move that fast. I’ve heard many stories about bike riders being chased by cougars and bears, but never heard anything about coyotes.

You’re fine. Neighborhood dogs chase you to try to be Alpha over you.
You probably had yotes sleeping in the bushes riding in the city/burbs and you didn’t know it.

You are the last thing a desert song dog wants to deal with.
If you were a toddler/preschooler? Sure.

zandoval 04-22-21 08:31 PM

Coyotes... Not really a problem. Spray is usually a good idea. Here in Texas Coyotes are well conditioned to avoid gun fire or anything similar.

My biggest fear here in Central Texas is Feral Hogs. I had a run in with them on my bicycle in day light years ago that changed my life.

Long Story: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ga-chromo.html

CAT7RDR 04-22-21 08:32 PM

The bigger danger will be coming around a bend at speed. I had to panic stop from 25 mph on a canyon road about a month ago. I stopped about a foot from his snout. He just stared at me for a moment, sized me up, then trotted off the road. I did not fear him nor he me.