Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Do you carry a chain tool on your rides? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1232854)

Welshboy 06-16-21 03:22 PM

Do you carry a chain tool on your rides?

If so, what one? I'm interested in something small enough to fit in a jersey pocket that will work on 10-speed and 11-speed chains (both with a master link). I have workshop quality chain tools at home but would like a quality chain tool for day rides and general riding. Thanks in advance.

aplcr0331 06-16-21 03:39 PM

I've never carried a chain tool on my rides. Are you experiencing problems with your chain coming undone or breaking?

I'm guessing there's a nifty Park Tool that will fit in a bag if needed.

I'd check Wiggle, I'm guessing they might have some good ones at a decent price.

Milton Keynes 06-16-21 03:40 PM

I do carry one on one of my bikes, just in case I break a chain. Never had to use it, though. I don't remember what brand it is.

freeranger 06-16-21 03:47 PM

I do. Not digging it out from the bottom of my bag, but it's a small Park one. Haven't used it for at least 17 years. But it did get used occasionally when I rode mostly mtn.bike trails-usually on someone else's bike (guess I kept my chain in better shape or just had better luck?). A chain tool and quick link can come in handy, if you're unlucky enough to have a chain break.

wolfchild 06-16-21 03:53 PM

I ride fixed gear and singlespeed bikes so I don't really worry too much about busting up a chain...But I still carry a small chain tool plus a few chain links because I like to be prepared for anything.

flangehead 06-16-21 03:58 PM

I carry multi tools that have chain tools plus quick links. Saved me twice in commuting context.

Rolla 06-16-21 03:59 PM

If a chain tool is on my multi-tool, then yes, I do. I've seen other people break a chain on a ride (mountain bikes), but I haven't yet.

Welshboy 06-16-21 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by aplcr0331 (Post 22105182)
I've never carried a chain tool on my rides. Are you experiencing problems with your chain coming undone or breaking?

Not really - three times in the last 30 years but one of those was because I'd incorrectly re-joined a Campag chain. I'm often out riding when my wife is at work so I can't call her to pick me up if the worst should happen. I'd just like to be self-sufficient and not relying on a multi-tool based chain tool. I carry an old 9-speed chain tool (stored in one of those bottle cage storage cases) on my commuter bike but would like something to tuck into a jersey pocket when out on my roadbike.

70sSanO 06-16-21 04:15 PM

I carry a compact Park tool CT-5 in my mtb bag along with a quick link. I don’t carry one with me on my road bike.

Park makes a folding chain tool CT-6.3, but I have not used it.

John

Steve B. 06-16-21 04:34 PM

The Topeak Alien I have on all my bikes has one.

Koyote 06-16-21 04:36 PM

I have one in my multi-tool, though I have not yet ever needed it and hope to never need it. Still, I never go on a ride without it.

veloz 06-16-21 04:44 PM

Park IB-3 multi tool with chain breaker on remote rides or multi-day tours. In 45+ years of cycling, I’ve used a chain tool 3x on rides but never on my own bike. Little need to carry but adds assurance sometimes.

sw20 06-16-21 04:48 PM

I've got Topeak Ratchet Rocket which has one, but only ever carried the ratchet until a friends chain snapped mid ride! Now I carry the whole thing!

shelbyfv 06-16-21 04:54 PM

I carry Crank Bros multi tools that include a chain tool. Kind of heavy, there may be newer and lighter choices. Also spare quick links in 10 and 11. I've never broken a chain but I've used both the tool and links to get others back on the road.

BCDrums 06-16-21 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Welshboy (Post 22105171)
If so, what one? I'm interested in something small enough to fit in a jersey pocket that will work on 10-speed and 11-speed chains (both with a master link). I have workshop quality chain tools at home but would like a quality chain tool for day rides and general riding. Thanks in advance.

Riding a multispeed derailler bike since 1974, including a cross-country ride, I have never needed a chain tool. Some qualifiers:

—I ride on the road, not off-road
—I weigh less than 160lbs.
—I am a spinner, not a masher
—I have long ago switched to quick-connect links, and away from re-pinning.
—I don't carry tools to fix others' bikes (but I help if I can!)

If I were a heavy masher riding off-road on a re-pinned chain, I might think differently. I read lots of reports here of riders who bust a chain. So consider your circumstances before you add one more tool to your kit.

Iride01 06-16-21 05:10 PM

No.

KJ43 06-16-21 05:23 PM

I carry a multi tool with a chain breaker and a couple spare quick links. It's been a long time since I've had to do a chain fix on the road, but better to be prepared.

Troul 06-16-21 05:33 PM

i carried a jaw breaker for the times I would have the little guy rolling along. Helped keep them paying attention while riding! As long as I keep up on the maintenance, I forfeit that tool from the buttocks tool bag.

indyfabz 06-16-21 05:37 PM

No. Not even when I tour.

kahn 06-16-21 05:50 PM

The one time I used one, I did not have one. Borrowed from a cross-country cyclist who happened to pass us on the North Cascades highway. At the end of the process it looked as if I had on elbow length black opera gloves - what a mess.

rosefarts 06-16-21 05:51 PM

When I did the White Rim I took one. Just seemed like a long way from help. I’ll have one this weekend on a wilderness ride for the same reason.

I have one made by Specialized that goes into my steerer tube.

Joe Bikerider 06-16-21 05:55 PM

One of my “rules” is to carry along any tool that I used on my most recent repair or adjustment. After a couple rides then I can put that tool away. My chain tool has been put away now for many years. But I know where it is, just checked. I think my rule is a combination of witchcraft and insecurity. For example I just put away my hex key that I had used to adjust my new seat. Never needed it after that first day but it is light and it felt good to have it in my pocket. After a few weeks I put it away. The most important thing is to get out and ride.

zandoval 06-16-21 06:01 PM

I carry a small Park chain tool with two extra links. I do short solo back road rides mostly torn up asphalt and loose small gravel. I carry tools and a few spare parts just in case I get stuck. A chain break tool is about as fancy as I carry.