Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

erileykc 10-20-19 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln (Post 21168603)
Is anyone else wondering about the source of this photo and its, uh, context?

Looks like a commentary on Brexit to me.

BigChief 10-20-19 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by erileykc (Post 21172372)
Looks like a commentary on Brexit to me.

That's what I was thinkin, but then my eyes were drawn to the attached kickstand.

HPL 10-22-19 07:51 AM

? Year: Raleigh Brake pad/holder

2 Attachment(s)
These pads (and other parts) came off of a Raleigh '40s Sports Tourist (actual year/model unknown). I'm trying to determine if this pad holder style had a definite start/stop year in order to limit the range of years that it may have been manufactured. I'm very dubious about the serial number (indicates early '30s, 1933) as a reasonably accurate indicator of year. It seems that everything on this bike indicates a very late '30s-mid '40s: "no date" AW rear hub ('41-'42), GC3 bar mounted shifter ('38-'47), Dynohub and Dynohub Headlight ('36-late '40s). It seems odd that everything would have been removed from an early frame to be replaced by components from about 10 years later, thus my feeling that this is a 1940s bike. I do not know if the Dynohub is 12, 8, or 6 volt (no image match to any model); which would help with the year range, no photographic evidence to match my Dynohub to a known year/model. I hope the brakes changed enough to allow for a more accurate dating of this bike. Also, I'm curious as to the BB size/threads. My Hercules has a 68 mm shell and I believe 24tpi, but I believe this BB is wider (not measured yet) with a different thread pitch (71 mm, 26tpi?). Is this the same BB that would be in my 1970 Raleigh Sports?

gster 10-22-19 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 21172445)
That's what I was thinkin, but then my eyes were drawn to the attached kickstand.

My eyes were drawn elsewhere....

Ballenxj 10-22-19 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by gster (Post 21174621)
My eyes were drawn elsewhere....

I'm pretty sure you are both talking about the same set of legs. ;)

HPL 10-22-19 09:40 AM

Hercules Head Badge Year(s)

1 Attachment(s)
I'm trying to determine the range of years that this head badge was used. I believe it to be earlier than 1948 since I've seen models from '48 and later with the green "shield" style badge. Seems like I've also seen a similar style used on much later models ('70s/'80s ?). Any feedback is as usual greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

gster 10-22-19 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by HPL (Post 21174779)
I'm trying to determine the range of years that this head badge was used. I believe it to be earlier than 1948 since I've seen models from '48 and later with the green "shield" style badge. Seems like I've also seen a similar style used on much later models ('70s/'80s ?). Any feedback is as usual greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

Here's a 1950 Hercules of mine with the same badge.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ee4f977ecd.jpg
While the badge itself is metal, the centre medallian is some sort
of plastic that doesn't seem to age well

clubman 10-22-19 10:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The badges and chainrings on Hercules went back and forth a couple of times depending on the market. I have a prewar Herc with the circular H badge as well as a 40's model with the same but a Hercules chainring (not the H).
From the '37 Catalogue

paulb_in_bkln 10-22-19 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 21172445)

It would have been awesome to be at a bike show and watch her signing that picture for a line of 12 year old boys.

gster 10-23-19 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln (Post 21175455)
It would have been awesome to be at a bike show and watch her signing that picture for a line of 12 year old boys.

I'd line up now...

paulb_in_bkln 10-23-19 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by gster (Post 21176481)
I'd line up now...

Sweet bird of youth... I mean "yute."

Jeff Rowse 10-24-19 06:45 PM

Hi,

apologies if read poorly, and you already have info re the hub. It is a GH8, 1938 intro, and yes deleted in'42. Post GH12, pre GH6

CriticalThought 10-24-19 07:06 PM

1954 Hercules Tourist Headbadge

Originally Posted by HPL (Post 21174779)

For what it's worth, here is my Herc Tourist, a 1954 (going by the hub date). Neither the headbadge you have nor the typical green one.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ebaa2ece5e.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...cf3b2114b8.jpg

And this from velobase:
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a620f83657.png

HPL 10-25-19 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by gster (Post 21174798)
Here's a 1950 Hercules of mine with the same badge.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ee4f977ecd.jpg
While the badge itself is metal, the centre medallian is some sort
of plastic that doesn't seem to age well

Originally Posted by clubman (Post 21174936)
The badges and chainrings on Hercules went back and forth a couple of times depending on the market. I have a prewar Herc with the circular H badge as well as a 40's model with the same but a Hercules chainring (not the H).
From the '37 Catalogue

Originally Posted by CriticalThought (Post 21178927)
For what it's worth, here is my Herc Tourist, a 1954 (going by the hub date). Neither the headbadge you have nor the typical green one.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ebaa2ece5e.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...cf3b2114b8.jpg

And this from velobase:
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a620f83657.png

Thanks for the input and examples! Definitely the original badge for the frame based on the rivets looking old and unmolested. Managed to find some paint missing that shows the original black. I had tried Velobase, but it was down at the time. Seems like the waters are pretty muddy regarding head badges and dates of use. I'm just going to build it as best as I can, hopefully finding "period" parts or good substitutes.

Thanks again; new frame "Krapf" coming soon, but not this forum.

gster 10-25-19 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by HPL (Post 21179221)
Thanks for the input and examples! Definitely the original badge for the frame based on the rivets looking old and unmolested. Managed to find some paint missing that shows the original black. I had tried Velobase, but it was down at the time. Seems like the waters are pretty muddy regarding head badges and dates of use. I'm just going to build it as best as I can, hopefully finding "period" parts or good substitutes.

Thanks again; new frame "Krapf" coming soon, but not this forum.

That's one of the the things I really like about these bikes.
The ability to use parts spanning several decades.
The ability to restore/rebuild with what you have available.
A period correct restoration is desirable but can also be very expensive
and time consuming.
I see nothing wrong with taking a 50's frame adding a wheelset from
the 60's and some calipers from the 70's.
I have a 1930 Hercules that I re did last year.
The frame, seat post and brake linkage are original to the bike
everything else has been replaced with more modern components.
In this case, 1970 is considered modern...
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9d3e6ef7c6.jpg
This bike is still not actually 'finished"..

HPL 10-26-19 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by gster (Post 21179453)
That's one of the the things I really like about these bikes.
The ability to use parts spanning several decades.
The ability to restore/rebuild with what you have available.
A period correct restoration is desirable but can also be very expensive
and time consuming.
I see nothing wrong with taking a 50's frame adding a wheelset from
the 60's and some calipers from the 70's.
I have a 1930 Hercules that I re did last year.
The frame, seat post and brake linkage are original to the bike
everything else has been replaced with more modern components.
In this case, 1970 is considered modern...This bike is still not actually 'finished"..

Fully agree gster, nice build. I have a couple of '50s Italian racers that, with the exception of putting carbon parts and maybe indexed shifting, look just fine with '70s/'80s components. It seems, with rare exception, that none of my bikes are really finished; even when "finished". I think I have the same problem with relationships, I think I can always make it better even when it's well enough left alone. Always appreciating your comments and insight; as long as you guys don't distract me with over the knee boots and blonde hair; now making me want to watch some classic British telly. Is there a Doctor in the House?

gster 10-26-19 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by HPL (Post 21180858)
Fully agree gster, nice build. I have a couple of '50s Italian racers that, with the exception of putting carbon parts and maybe indexed shifting, look just fine with '70s/'80s components. It seems, with rare exception, that none of my bikes are really finished; even when "finished". I think I have the same problem with relationships, I think I can always make it better even when it's well enough left alone. Always appreciating your comments and insight; as long as you guys don't distract me with over the knee boots and blonde hair; now making me want to watch some classic British telly. Is there a Doctor in the House?

Well, you know...
Some Mothers' Do 'ave em....

HPL 10-26-19 10:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Jeff Rowse (Post 21178887)
Hi,

apologies if read poorly, and you already have info re the hub. It is a GH8, 1938 intro, and yes deleted in'42. Post GH12, pre GH6

Hi Jeff,

Is your comment in reference to this particular Dynohub?

Ballenxj 10-26-19 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by HPL (Post 21181024)
Is your comment in reference to this particular Dynohub?

This may seem like a silly question to those of you that already know, but does an English made Dynohub use a positive, or negative ground? :o

HPL 10-26-19 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Ballenxj (Post 21181055)
This may seem like a silly question to those of you that already know, but does an English made Dynohub use a positive, or negative ground? :o

Only silly not to ask. I'm new to this "Dynohub" scene; I've yet to test mine, but being that it has two terminals (I assume isolated from "chassis ground"), you would have to test for polarity (have not looked at terminals for +/- marks) and connect a "grounding lead" to the frame for whichever polarity you desire, and/or connect to the accessory using proper polarity. Sorry for my relative ignorance in this matter, but I have bigger fish to fry on the bike mechanically; I was mostly using as a dating reference based on the model/voltage. That being said, when I do test it, and if it functions; I'll know its polarity and voltage, and thus it's model and tangentially my bike's approximate date of manufacture if it, as I now assume, is original to the bike. I'm sure we'll both be educated by someone here who already has extensive experience with this system.

JohnDThompson 10-26-19 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Ballenxj (Post 21181055)

Both; they generate alternating current.

Ballenxj 10-26-19 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson (Post 21181114)
Both; they generate alternating current.

One of the early alternaters? ;)

dweenk 10-26-19 03:36 PM

Columbia 3- Speed

I picked up a Columbia 3 speed this morning for cheap. I have already stripped it of usable parts and will donate the remainder through my LBS to the local coop. I ended up with two decent steel wheels (Sturmey AW hub, shifter, and ribbed cable housing), Weinmann sidepull brakes and levers, grips, and a Cyclepro vinyl saddle in great condition. It also had some decent fenders and a Wald basket that was bent a bit, but I have not seen too many baskets that were pristine.

The front wheel spokes are nice, the rear wheel spokes are nasty so we'll see when they are clean.
I rode the bike before I stripped the parts. My take is that:

The bike works and rides well
I would keep it if I didn't have too many bikes already
The frame is dead and heavy
The Columbia headbadge is nice - Westfield, Mass
I think they made better headbadges than bikes.

AL NZ 10-26-19 04:45 PM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7de42b173.jpeg
I couldn’t help myself...
Spring here, and I had to take this photo of the ol’BSA

BigChief 10-26-19 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ballenxj (Post 21181134)
One of the early alternaters? ;)

The dyno hub doesn't ground to the frame like bottle generators. 2 wires run to each lamp.