Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

MoAlpha 07-17-20 08:36 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 21592123)
I was following a friend down Topanga Canyon to the beach and I kept smelling burning rubber. This is a descent with high speeds and twisty turns, rock walls and, of course, cars. At the bottom he notices his front tire is rubbing on the fork, this is the source of the burning rubber smell. I can't see and don't have reading glasses with me but I try to straighten it up with my spoke wrench. I try to get another friend to look at it but everyone is in a hurry to go as always so we roar off down Pacific Coast Hwy and a few miles later my friend stops and the tire is rubbing again.

This time I see the huge crack in the hub (Hed, I think) and a spoke is puling through. He calls his wife for pick up and I feel super guilty for trying to true the wheel which was unsafe. I'm really happy he didn't crash but this was sooo dangerous and I probably should have insisted we have someone else look at it the first stop.

Yikes, but who's looking for a cracked hub?

I remember that road from a couple of visits to LA as a college student. Friend's brother had a house up near the top. So much sublime and ridiculous in that area.

WhyFi 07-17-20 08:45 AM

I feel like I'm way overdue for a correction; every peach that I've had this year (granted, it's less than a dozen) has been fantastic. Experience tells me that that's just not sustainable in the upper midwest. :(

MoAlpha 07-17-20 08:51 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21592155)
I feel like I'm way overdue for a correction; every peach that I've had this year (granted, it's less than a dozen) has been fantastic. Experience tells me that that's just not sustainable in the upper midwest. :(

Yeah, I've had great peaches too. Just regular old organic from WF, but clearly a few different cultivars.

SwtBadger 07-17-20 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
pumpkin pie >tomato pie > apple pie

probably

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21591901)
Fixed it for you.

You alls pie selection is much too limited

Cherry Pie>>Peach Pie>Pecan Pie>Pumpkin Pie>Tomato Pie >Apple Pie

Bah Humbug 07-17-20 08:58 AM

I’m good with about half a peach every few years. My sister would plow through a bag in an afternoon though.

mvnsnd 07-17-20 08:59 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21592073)
Iíll just edit the distance to zero manually (and on Garmin, and TrainingPeaks...). I need the data accurate because I want my cycling hours and TSS accurate. I also want to know my yearly real miles. Solution is to use a PM that has no speed broadcast. Fortunately I had already installed the P1 pedals.

Why not just create a new fictional bike type in Strava and training peaks, etc and use ( assign ) that solely for indoor rides? That should segregate indoor and outdoor activities.

I log indoor miles, but don't really care one way or the other.

datlas 07-17-20 09:03 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21592155)
I feel like I'm way overdue for a correction; every peach that I've had this year (granted, it's less than a dozen) has been fantastic. Experience tells me that that's just not sustainable in the upper midwest. :(


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21592163)
Yeah, I've had great peaches too. Just regular old organic from WF, but clearly a few different cultivars.

We have a peach tree that gives us amazing peaches every August. But we had a major storm come through a couple weeks ago with hail bigly, so all the baby peaches got knocked out of the tree. Sad!

WhyFi 07-17-20 09:04 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21592176)
Iím good with about half a peach every few years. My sister would plow through a bag in an afternoon though.

Good peaches are my favorite fruit. It's unfortunate that they're regularly inedible 'round these parts. Buying a bag of peaches makes for a very high risk/high reward proposition for me.

WhyFi 07-17-20 09:04 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21592181)
We have a peach tree that gives us amazing peaches every August. But we had a major storm come through a couple weeks ago with hail bigly, so all the baby peaches got knocked out of the tree. Sad!

Very. :(

big john 07-17-20 09:06 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21592135)
Yikes, but who's looking for a cracked hub?

I remember that road from a couple of visits to LA as a college student. Friend's brother had a house up near the top. So much sublime and ridiculous in that area.

Some people don't have mechanical knowledge and if they put their trust in me, I feel some responsibility. You're right, though. I didn't expect that.

When we do Topanga we usually go over Old Topanga at the top because it's quieter. Here is a clip from someone with bad speedometer readings.

BillyD 07-17-20 09:12 AM


Originally Posted by SwtBadger (Post 21592165)
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
pumpkin pie >tomato pie > apple pie

probably


You alls pie selection is much too limited

Cherry Pie>>Peach Pie>Pecan Pie>Pumpkin Pie>Tomato Pie >Apple Pie

IKR

Blueberry Pie > apple pie > sweet potato pie > cherry pie > peach pie > pizza pie

MoAlpha 07-17-20 09:20 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21592181)
We have a peach tree that gives us amazing peaches every August. But we had a major storm come through a couple weeks ago with hail bigly, so all the baby peaches got knocked out of the tree. Sad!

PA has got them some great peaches. Late ones, as you say. We are probably still getting them from the Carolinas.

Bah Humbug 07-17-20 09:21 AM


Originally Posted by mvnsnd (Post 21592177)
Why not just create a new fictional bike type in Strava and training peaks, etc and use ( assign ) that solely for indoor rides? That should segregate indoor and outdoor activities.

I log indoor miles, but don't really care one way or the other.

Iím not invested enough in Strava for that. Iíll just pair my watch to the pedals and be done with it. Thatís what Iíd been doing for years, only with the Quarqs on my main bikes.

Bah Humbug 07-17-20 09:22 AM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21592194)
IKR

Blueberry Pie > apple pie > sweet potato pie > cherry pie > peach pie > pizza pie

No strawberry-rhubarb? Itís like you want life to be not worth living.

MoAlpha 07-17-20 09:24 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 21592187)
Some people don't have mechanical knowledge and if they put their trust in me, I feel some responsibility. You're right, though. I didn't expect that.

When we do Topanga we usually go over Old Topanga at the top because it's quieter. Here is a clip from someone with bad speedometer readings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC7kx8JuLBY

Well, we're watching the video, so at least the camera made it down. :eek:

Looking at that, I think my friend's brother's house may have been closer to the bottom than the top.

big john 07-17-20 09:34 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21592213)
Well, we're watching the video, so at least the camera made it down. :eek:

Looking at that, I think my friend's brother's house may have been closer to the bottom than the top.

Well, that is Old Topanga. It starts on the north end a few miles west of Topanga itself and is a nice little climb out of the valley. If you climb Topanga out of the valley it's a faster, more open, sweeping turn kind of road with more cars. Descending from the summit is wide open and eventually the two roads merge where that video ends. It's several miles to the beach from there.

seedsbelize 07-17-20 09:39 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 21592187)
Some people don't have mechanical knowledge and if they put their trust in me, I feel some responsibility. You're right, though. I didn't expect that.

When we do Topanga we usually go over Old Topanga at the top because it's quieter. Here is a clip from someone with bad speedometer readings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC7kx8JuLBY

Narrow bars. I can't watch that kind of speed on a bike. From that position anyway. I can watch the TDF no problem.

abshipp 07-17-20 09:40 AM

Taking some training today for work.

Cybersecurity: 80% on assessment required to pass

Diversity and Inclusion: 70% on assessment required to pass

Hmmm....

#priorities

seedsbelize 07-17-20 09:42 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21592209)
No strawberry-rhubarb? Itís like you want life to be not worth living.

And no elderberry either. The queen of fruit pies.

Velo Vol 07-17-20 09:45 AM


Originally Posted by SwtBadger (Post 21592165)
You alls pie selection is much too limited

Because they're bad.

big john 07-17-20 09:47 AM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21592240)
Narrow bars. I can't watch that kind of speed on a bike. From that position anyway. I can watch the TDF no problem.

That stretch of road isn't scary.Once it joins Topanga you get the fast cars and that makes it scary.

Velo Vol 07-17-20 09:52 AM

Speaking of which, rjones28 how's the apple harvest this year?

big john 07-17-20 09:54 AM

I've done a charity ride called The Lighthouse Century on the central coast. Did it 5 times and the food is outstanding. They have hot Olala berry pie at the lunch stop, along with sandwiches, salads, and hot drinks. They feed you at the end with Tri Tip, vegetarian lasagna, and more Olala berry pie.
They also had a chocolate fondue fountain at the last rest stop.

Velo Vol 07-17-20 09:55 AM

Discuss.


https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...834abe25b.jpeg

Trsnrtr 07-17-20 10:23 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21591934)
Good. Don't forget that you're still on probation. :p

For sure.

LesterOfPuppets 07-17-20 10:23 AM

I've never even heard of tomato pie. Not sure why I'd want one when pizza exists.

Trsnrtr 07-17-20 10:24 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21591954)
Addiction: you either die a hero flame out like Razor or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain chapeau guy.

Hear, hear!

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...54d0921d46.jpg

Trsnrtr 07-17-20 10:29 AM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21592119)
You can say Hell.

When referring to heat, I like to say Hades. It makes me sound more eddicated.

Trsnrtr 07-17-20 10:31 AM


Originally Posted by SwtBadger (Post 21592165)
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
pumpkin pie >tomato pie > apple pie

probably


You alls pie selection is much too limited

Cherry Pie>>Peach Pie>Pecan Pie>Pumpkin Pie>Tomato Pie >Apple Pie

OK, but I'd put pecan pie as first in your comparison.

Trsnrtr 07-17-20 10:33 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21592209)
No strawberry-rhubarb? Itís like you want life to be not worth living.

Dang, I forgot about strawberry-rhubarb. Yummm...


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:27 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.