Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   What is worth buying at a LBS versus buying online? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=910951)

Gramercy 09-03-13 11:54 AM

What is worth buying at a LBS versus buying online?

I was on vacation last week in Italy and stopped by a bike shop near my hotel called Florence by Bikes; I saw it referenced on here from an old thread and checked it out. There were some beautiful bikes there. I wanted to buy an italian jersey and loved the Chianti Classico jerseys they had, but they were like 80-100 bucks. I went online later that evening and saw similar (can't say if they were exact) for a fraction of the price. I ended up buying a long sleeve jersey that was on clearance.

What do you guys buy in-store compared to buying online? Besides getting customer service and giving local bike shops business, when do you think it's good to buy in person?

Phil_gretz 09-03-13 12:01 PM

Some Consumable Items...

Tubes
Cheap tires for flips
Ball bearings

...um, I'm running out of things.

achoo 09-03-13 12:09 PM

The answer to your question is going to vary tremendously. For me, I get almost everything online because it's cheaper. But then I can and do build my own wheels, so bicycle maintenance is easy for me.

Someone not comfortable doing his own maintenance is going to get a lot more from the LBS.

itrsteve 09-03-13 12:09 PM

Tubes, gels and cheap nick knacks... everything else I'll support the LBS unless it's something they don't stock (i.e. Zipp stuff)

danmc 09-03-13 12:10 PM

I'm actually quite selfish; I'll buy some stuff from the LBS that I could possibly find cheaper online because I'm hoping that perhaps sometime in the future when I need something fixed ASAP so I can ride later that day or the next and not wait a week for a repair they might show me some preference. That may be a misguided hope, though.

rjones28 09-03-13 12:18 PM

Generally, anything I want to touch and try, before I buy.

Always gloves and shoes, because of fit. Most maintenance items, like tubes, cables, etc.. Tools, because there's not usually much price difference after shipping.

gsa103 09-03-13 12:19 PM

Anything that needs a proper fit test is local shop purchased. Consumables are generally cheaper online, I'll sometimes buy some anyway, if the bike shop has helped me out with something.

The local shop needs to make money to survive. If they are providing good service, they deserve to be compensated. If an item is half the price online I may purchase online, but I'll usually buy consumables as compensation.

tagaproject6 09-03-13 12:25 PM

I support any bike shop that provide me with the product I want at the lowest possible price. Sometimes the bike is not local for me but it is local for someone somewhere else. It could be in the UK or somewhere else in the US.

oh and...:popcorn:

:trainwreck:
:deadhorse:

danmc 09-03-13 12:32 PM

We need to combine these train-wreck, beating-a-dead-horse threads, so, the question is do you buy your dry/wet/wax lube at the LBS or online and do you wave at the clerk when you do/don't?

RomeoTango 09-03-13 04:55 PM

I buy at the LBS either what I need/want immediately, or if the price is close. In my limited experience LBS price is only comparable at steep sale or closeouts. A few weeks ago I needed a chain immediately. An Ultegra chain was $60 at all the LBSs in my area. Bought it because I needed it bad. Ended up buying a spare online for $28 (sale). Did the same with some Gatorskins a couple years ago. Once again in a bind, so I purchased from my LBS. Then, I went online and bought another for sparing at less than half of the LBS price. Conversely, I just bought some Lizardskin bar tape online and my LBS actually had for about $2 more (I didn't check this time).

Some folks, though, cannot work on their bike or don't want to. LBS comes in real handy and they seem to accept the pricing. Nothing wrong with that at all.

BoSoxYacht 09-03-13 05:12 PM

Do you want your LBS to treat you like a real friend, or JAG from off the street?

Most LBS are willing to help out their customers, but if you buy all your stuff at an online shop, are your really their customer?

99Klein 09-03-13 05:32 PM

Looks like you saved a few bucks and lost a great memory. Purchasing an Italian jersey from a real Italian bike shop. Cheap at twice the price IMO.

datlas 09-03-13 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by danmc (Post 16026940)
We need to combine these train-wreck, beating-a-dead-horse threads, so, the question is do you buy your dry/wet/wax lube at the LBS or online and do you wave at the clerk when you do/don't?

But when you buy at the LBS, should you buy campy, shimano, or SRAM??

datlas 09-03-13 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by 99Klein (Post 16028086)
Looks like you saved a few bucks and lost a great memory. Purchasing an Italian jersey from a real Italian bike shop. Cheap at twice the price IMO.

I wonder if the "Italian" jersey was made in China...

99Klein 09-03-13 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 16028103)
i wonder if the "italian" jersey was made in china...

lmao! !

jjjj 09-03-13 07:35 PM

I try to support my LBS even when the prices are higher. That being said selection and research leads me to buy online. When I find a product online that I am going to buy (ie...my mind is made up), I will check the LBS if they have it. If it is in the ball park on price I buy it there. If I find a product at the LBS, or have to to see or try a product at the LBS they get my business regardless of price.

In short I do my best to support the LBS.

daihard 09-03-13 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 16026882)
Generally, anything I want to touch and try, before I buy.

Always gloves and shoes, because of fit. Most maintenance items, like tubes, cables, etc.. Tools, because there's not usually much price difference after shipping.

Maybe because I'm a novice, but I've bought pretty much everything related to my bike at the LBS or other retail stores - gloves, fenders, rear rack, lights, etc. Now that I know a bit more about bikes and bike maintenance, I feel more comfortable buying online.

jon c. 09-03-13 08:03 PM

My LBS doesn't have a lot in the way of clothing, so I buy that on line. I don't do my own work, so chains, cassettes and the like I buy from the LBS as they'll be installing it. (Although I have a vintage bike, so they were understanding when I brought in vintage brake levers for them to install). I've had them order items I could have ordered cheaper on line just to help maintain the relationship as they've always treated me very well.

RiPHRaPH 09-03-13 08:45 PM

so let me get this straight. you can afford a vacation to italy from nyc (not cheap in its own right) and you are shocked at that sticker price?
i'm at a loss for words here.

rjones28 09-04-13 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by daihard (Post 16028511)
Maybe because I'm a novice, but I've bought pretty much everything related to my bike at the LBS or other retail stores - gloves, fenders, rear rack, lights, etc. Now that I know a bit more about bikes and bike maintenance, I feel more comfortable buying online.

I sourced bout 80% of the parts for my last bike project online.

anthonybkny 09-04-13 08:17 AM

chain lube, cables, helmets, saddles, tubes, grips

tagaproject6 09-04-13 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by RiPHRaPH (Post 16028665)
so let me get this straight. you can afford a vacation to italy from nyc (not cheap in its own right) and you are shocked at that sticker price?
i'm at a loss for words here.

What makes you think he can afford any of it?

MikeyBoyAz 09-04-13 10:21 AM

If I can install it myself, I buy it online. I really like my LBS and he has told me more than once to bring in my best price. For him there is no expense to add to his order he is already placing, and as long as he doesn't lose money, he will just throw it on at cost plus a few bucks. I did a package deal with him a year ago for a full 6700 group, mostly at cost. The one thing I couldn't install he charged his install fee and I took it gladly (didn't have the tool).

Avispa 09-04-13 10:49 AM

The only time this becomes relevant is when it runs into troubles.
Many dealers or online sellers claim to be willing to help, that they have warranty and such and they might do and they might not.
Dealers that are more local or closer are easier to get help from.

This is same no matter what i have been buying, all from huge amount stereo related gear to motorcycle gear and bikes.

Ofcourse online is cheaper. But you never know for sure until the day appears, something need to be replaced or fixed.

I have a nice example of a low cost product. Giro factor shoes, bought 2012.12.27 and used from end of April until Juli. Shoes toe box has collapsed and the thing is like a nail straight into the toes now. Giro seller in US refuse to help out, Giro in EU hand me an email to Norway and they refuse to help out.
Shoes was 295 usd + shipping + customer fee (tax and tariff). The end price is well beyond what it cost in US. These shoes are not avaible where i live.
I have no support now as they don't care for me more than a fart in the wind.
They don't give a ****. Now had i been buying these overhere, i had been going to dealers and he would have called the importer. If not, there is help for that.

Typical bad internet purchase. It is not the first and not the last. I know several people buying things from Ebay seller, having no authorized dealer receipts and ridiculous failours, but no help. Does this end my quest for saving or possible having a chance to buy instead of not. No it does not. I swear and get mad every time but i never learn.

Face it as it is. You might have all help or no issues to be ever. Or you end up with a broken toy in the trash can.

caloso 09-04-13 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Gramercy (Post 16026779)
I was on vacation last week in Italy and stopped by a bike shop near my hotel called Florence by Bikes; I saw it referenced on here from an old thread and checked it out. There were some beautiful bikes there. I wanted to buy an italian jersey and loved the Chianti Classico jerseys they had, but they were like 80-100 bucks. I went online later that evening and saw similar (can't say if they were exact) for a fraction of the price. I ended up buying a long sleeve jersey that was on clearance.

What do you guys buy in-store compared to buying online? Besides getting customer service and giving local bike shops business, when do you think it's good to buy in person?

When we were in Italy a few years ago, I rented a bike from the LBS and had an amazing time riding the Tuscan and Umbrian hills and valleys. When I returned the bike, I bought not just a jersey but the entire shop team kit. Now when I put it on for a ride I have the most amazing memories of chatting with local cyclists in my Lonely Planet Italian, the taste of the espresso and pastries at the little roadside caffe, the feel of the cobbles under the tires as I rode back into town.

But you saved yourself 50 Euros or so. So, that's something.