Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Is it true? Did Colnago have a beef with Cinelli? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1259387)

Robvolz 09-28-22 06:31 PM

Is it true? Did Colnago have a fallout with Cinelli?

Is it true? Did Colnago have a fallout with Cinelli?

I read something interesting, the colnago stopped using Cinelli stems and handlebars on his bikes and switched to 3T because of a argument he had. Later he also may have had a disagreement with Campagnolo and that’s why he switched to Dura Ace

repechage 09-28-22 07:00 PM

I think all had "issues" from time to time.

3ttt worked hard for Masi for a time - custom decoration of bars, saddles and stems.

of course the ever present misunderstanding of "terms"

Wildwood 09-28-22 07:02 PM

If they had beef, I am sure it was enjoyed with a good red Italian wine.

SurferRosa 09-28-22 07:40 PM

Wendy's once asked, "where's the beef?" and everyone laughed and ate meat.

machinist42 09-28-22 11:10 PM

Chianina

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...37a3987990.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ff58bf938d.jpg

Attribution.

White, not blue and no chrome.

seypat 09-29-22 07:50 AM

I'm sure they had plenty of business meetings together...............eating steaks.

Mr. 66 09-29-22 08:22 AM

I don't think nago had beef with Campy, Shimano just blew Campy away with innovation.

DMC707 09-29-22 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by SurferRosa (Post 22662736)
Wendy's once asked, "where's the beef?" and everyone laughed and ate meat.

https://i.imgur.com/WDZT0No.jpg

repechage 09-29-22 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. 66 (Post 22663092)
I don't think nago had beef with Campy, Shimano just blew Campy away with innovation.

one could imagine the phone calls between Ernesto and Valentino

Dylansbob 09-29-22 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by DMC707 (Post 22663355)

This makes me feel old.

vespasianus 09-29-22 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dylansbob (Post 22663384)
This makes me feel old.

You're telling me; I knew her mother.

jonwvara 09-29-22 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by vespasianus (Post 22663611)
You're telling me; I knew her mother.

I'm pretty sure you're joking, but I have to ask: Really?

iab 09-30-22 12:44 PM

They never had no beef so then he washed off the soap and brushed the gold teeth.

Bianchigirll 10-01-22 09:23 AM

Catalog pictures aside I thought Colnago like most other ‘top shelf’ brands sold frames to distributors and importers and they in turn sold complete bikes or frames and kits of varying spec to shops. So how could he control the use of any bar or stem brand?

I would think if Earnie had a dust up with Cinelli he would not be using his BB shells and other frame bits. But then again business triumphs a lot and if their bits are better than others…….

63rickert 10-03-22 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll (Post 22665269)
Catalog pictures aside I thought Colnago like most other ‘top shelf’ brands sold frames to distributors and importers and they in turn sold complete bikes or frames and kits of varying spec to shops. So how could he control the use of any bar or stem brand?

I would think if Earnie had a dust up with Cinelli he would not be using his BB shells and other frame bits. But then again business triumphs a lot and if their bits are better than others…….

Pretty much all top shelf builders were happy to sell complete bikes. Italian completes were always particularly nice, many fine details few shops could hope to match. Often unobtainium small bits that no shop could match.

repechage 10-03-22 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by 63rickert (Post 22667130)
Pretty much all top shelf builders were happy to sell complete bikes. Italian completes were always particularly nice, many fine details few shops could hope to match. Often unobtainium small bits that no shop could match.

"completes" such a modern term.
back then is was either a Bicycle or a frame set.

jet sanchEz 10-03-22 10:45 AM

Did Colnago sell complete bicycles in the U.S.?

It seems like it would be quite expensive to ship a whole bike from Italy as opposed to just a frame set....

Regardless, I don't think Colnago would have much say in what the teams would use on his bikes, it would have been a simple matter of which company was the sponser.

bikingshearer 10-03-22 10:55 AM

None of the folks mentioned here were known for having undersized egos. I have no doubt that sparks flew on occasion. Whether it ever got beyond shouting and arm waiving, I have no clue.

As for Ernesto using Cinelli bottom bracket shells and other frame bits: if he had a five year already-paid-for supply of them laid in, most likely he'd have used them even if Cino had questioned the virtue of his mother. Murder? Maybe. Throw money away? Not likely.

Robvolz 10-03-22 12:12 PM

OK, I didn't post this question nilly-willy.

During one of my volunteering shifts at Bike Farm here in Portland (I swear, between here and the Community Cycling Center on Alberta, Bike-Recyclery gets 90% of the inventory) there was a conversation on how house-made Colnago panto parts stopped being Cinelli and started exclusively 3TTT.

If you have access to the colnago spectrum (steel frames people) I think post 1983 everything was 3TTT and no Cinelli to be found. Of course we are talking stems and bars.

One of the old guys who is a bit of a Cliff Klaven spouted about some argument they had. I've googled, nada.

Thought I'd bring it up here.

repechage 10-03-22 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Robvolz (Post 22667361)

During one of my volunteering shifts at Bike Farm here in Portland (I swear, between here and the Community Cycling Center on Alberta, Bike-Recyclery gets 90% of the inventory) there was a conversation on how house-made Colnago panto parts stopped being Cinelli and started exclusively 3TTT.

If you have access to the colnago spectrum (steel frames people) I think post 1983 everything was 3TTT and no Cinelli to be found. Of course we are talking stems and bars.

One of the old guys who is a bit of a Cliff Klaven spouted about some argument they had. I've googled, nada.

*****- vulture capitalism

Drillium Dude 10-03-22 12:53 PM

Your Cliff Claven-type is simply repeating "what he heard", and doing his part to ensure the continuation of what is basically a long-standing urban legend, if you will. I've heard the same story at various times in my life and have found nothing with which to back up the claim when I've gone looking.

dd

smd4 10-03-22 01:30 PM

I saw this in a link about the re-creation of the bike from "Breaking Away" that was posted in the Confente thread, and it reminded me of this thread:

"Faliero Masi had a distinct preference for 3TTT cockpit components in the 1970s after reputedly having a disagreement with Cino Cinelli."

Sounds pretty coincidental, and like DD suggested, perhaps all part of an urban legend.

repechage 10-03-22 02:55 PM

The difference of opinion, net 30 vs 45 or 60

Lattz 10-03-22 05:42 PM

Maybe its also something for a proud Ernesto / Faliero / Anybodyo that equipping your bike with the other well known bike maker's stuff is not the best marketing (especially if you consider yourself superior) whereas 3ttt was only a part manufacturer. I personally think, it must have been all about the prices, or important things like which would be nitty-gritty to all the other billions on the planet, like one liked a wine the other hated, or so, but could also be the other way around, they didn't stop using Cinelli parts against Cinelli, but started to use 3ttt for personal preference/support. We will most likely never know if there is/was such a thing at all.

Anyway Italians having arguments or screwing on each other is an easily imaginable thing and Ernesto is proven to be no exception (see the history of Rossin bikes and I don't think the others were better). Sometimes such arguments gave birth to good things as well (a/m/ Rossin, or Lamborghini sport cars).

63rickert 10-04-22 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by jet sanchEz (Post 22667216)
Did Colnago sell complete bicycles in the U.S.?

It seems like it would be quite expensive to ship a whole bike from Italy as opposed to just a frame set....

Regardless, I don't think Colnago would have much say in what the teams would use on his bikes, it would have been a simple matter of which company was the sponser.

Yes. I can only speak with certainty for 1973, when I unpacked a shipment. My belief is this was not unusual. Shipping was always a factor but not that big. Way easier to sell the bikes when everything is there. Chronic parts shortages were normal.