Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   People not saying hi (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1234057)

LarrySellerz 07-04-21 10:39 AM

People not saying hi

Why do so many people not greet riders they pass? It seems like 4/5 of the time when someone passes me they do it without even acknowledging my presence, and when they do acknowledge me its usually with something like "on your left" which takes longer than just saying hi. I salute to riders coming towards me 9 out of 10 times, and verbally greet every rider I pass even if I'm redlined sprinting. It triggers me when this happens, I wonder if its because I look like a commuter not a roadie, I always chase them down and see how their day is going when people do this to me.

Yesterday I was riding with my dad and asked him why he doesn't say hi, he was like "I didn't think they would appreciate it, when I get passed im upset at the situation and the other rider" ???? hes so weird LOL

Koyote 07-04-21 10:51 AM

Very interesting post. We've never discussed this around here before. Can't wait for the discussion.

asgelle 07-04-21 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz (Post 22128441)
Why do so many people not greet riders they pass? It seems like 4/5 of the time when someone passes me they do it without even acknowledging my presence, ...

If four out of five people behave that way, have you considered how your behavior is causing it?

Velo Vol 07-04-21 11:13 AM

Maybe it's you?

DougRNS 07-04-21 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22128472)
Maybe it's you?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...533ff575bb.jpg

Welshboy 07-04-21 11:36 AM

I agree with the OP. Back in the day most club cyclists would wave to each other when passing and also wave to solitary riders not attached to a club but just out enjoying riding their bike. Hell, we'd even wave to middle-aged ladies cycling along on their hybrid with a wicker basket on the front - I guess as a mixture of encouragement and that we were kind of all doing the same activity. Two wheels good! Our club picked up a few new members doing this but things slowly started to change about 15 years ago and are getting progressively worse so that now most cyclists do not wave when passing. On my daily commute it's slightly better - perhaps 50/50. It gets right up my nose when you call out a cheery "Good Morning" and get nothing back except the thousand yard stare.

Velo Vol 07-04-21 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22128485)

Do riders wave on the Silver Comet?

asgelle 07-04-21 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Welshboy (Post 22128487)
I agree with the OP. Back in the day most club cyclists would wave to each other when passing and also wave to solitary riders not attached to a club but just out enjoying riding their bike.

Back in the day automobile drivers would wave to each other when passing*. Do you?

*There are large parts of my state where drivers still do.

Welshboy 07-04-21 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by asgelle (Post 22128534)
Back in the day automobile drivers would wave to each other when passing*. Do you?

You're on the verge of answering your own question there!

asgelle 07-04-21 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Welshboy (Post 22128537)
You're on the verge of answering your own question there!

Really? Because I have no idea whether you wave to other drivers.

LarrySellerz 07-04-21 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by asgelle (Post 22128458)
If four out of five people behave that way, have you considered how your behavior is causing it?

my "behavior" is cruising at a decent clip, the people who pass me are serious roadies who for the most part don't greet strangers they pass. In the peloton I ride with as far as I know im the only guy saying hi and encouraging the people we blow by (often way too close.) I just think we should be better ambassadors of the sport, some people deem road cyclists as stuck up and not saying hi to slower riders contributes to this.

asgelle 07-04-21 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz (Post 22128543)
my "behavior" is cruising at a decent clip, the people who pass me are serious roadies who for the most part don't greet strangers they pass. In the peloton I ride with as far as I know im the only guy saying hi and encouraging the people we blow by (often way too close.) I just think we should be better ambassadors of the sport, some people deem road cyclists as stuck up and not saying hi to slower riders contributes to this.

Wait. Are you saying there are people in the world who, without harming anyone else, aren't behaving the way you think they should behave? By all means we should make it our mission to change that.

GlennR 07-04-21 12:54 PM

You must be in New York.

Oh... wait... i'm in New York and people wave to me. And sometimes they are telling me I'm #1.

PeteHski 07-04-21 01:02 PM

Where I live most cyclists will wave or say hi when you pass. You only get the odd one who doesn't acknowledge fellow cyclists on the road. I think it's just a personality thing.

Sy Reene 07-04-21 01:18 PM

When you get on an elevator, do you stand facing the doors, or the back of the elevator so you can see who you're with?

tomato coupe 07-04-21 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 22128451)
Very interesting post. We've never discussed this around here before. Can't wait for the discussion.

I can't decide whether it's better to say hello or to wave. Which one better conveys "I still respect you as a person, even though I just dropped your ass?"

big john 07-04-21 01:33 PM

Good grief, a waving thread. Do a search, Larry. This has been beaten to death around here for years.

waters60 07-04-21 01:45 PM

I feel sorry for the people who are so serious they can’t reply to a friendly hello. I love riding and barring a complete bonk it puts me in a good mood. What I feel sorry for are the riders who don’t seem to be deriving the joy from their riding.

bruce19 07-04-21 01:46 PM

It's not important unless you make it important.

alo 07-04-21 01:47 PM

I don't have expectations of people. If people are friendly, they are friendly. If they are not, they are not. They don't upset me.

asgelle 07-04-21 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by alo (Post 22128615)
I don't have expectations of people. If people are friendly, they are friendly. If they are not, they are not. They don't upset me.

I'm glad that works for you. As for me, I need external validation. My self-worth is determined by others acknowledging me. If I wave and someone doesn't wave back, it makes me feel invisible; as if I'm not worthy of being seen as an equal.

Ed Wiser 07-04-21 02:06 PM

I find it depends on where you live. Everyone waves at each other where I live. Even driving out of my neighbor hood people wave at each other. Just like on this forum you see a lot of negative responses. Even in this thread. :)

Trakhak 07-04-21 02:20 PM

Larry has now resuscitated most of the Bike Forums dead horses. Maybe all that's left is "Don't buy expensive light bikes---lose body weight instead---it's free!"

LesterOfPuppets 07-04-21 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by asgelle (Post 22128534)

Proper Jeep and proper VW drivers wave to each other all the time.

LarrySellerz 07-04-21 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by tomato coupe (Post 22128592)
I can't decide whether it's better to say hello or to wave. Which one better conveys "I still respect you as a person, even though I just dropped your ass?"

Saying hello forsure if passing or getting passed