Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What bicycle consumables do you buy on sale, even if you don't need them right now? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1234115)

nathand 07-05-21 09:59 AM

What bicycle consumables do you buy on sale, even if you don't need them right now?

I can't be the only one who sees a deal on my preferred brand of bar tape and buys a roll or two for future use. What consumable bike parts (let's ignore tubes) do you have on hand to do a repair without a trip to the bike shop? What items would you not normally keep on hand, but would buy if the price was good? What have you accumulated like this that you'll never use?

In addition to the aforementioned bar tape (two rolls of Bontrager Gel Cork tape, in red and gray), I picked up an unused 10-speed Shimano chain off CL cheap a while back. I'm pretty sure I'll use it eventually, although I try to monitor chain wear so when I need a new one I have time to order it. Of course, when I went to put it in with the bike parts I found I already had one, so now I have 2; guess I'm set on chains for a while.

genejockey 07-05-21 10:15 AM

Tubes and tires.

GhostRider62 07-05-21 10:16 AM

Chains, tires, tubes, and lube.

terrymorse 07-05-21 10:32 AM

Chains and cassettes. Also tires.

Rick 07-05-21 10:49 AM

Tubes, tires, brake cables and housing, Rohloff cable sets, Rohloff oil and oil plugs. Replacement rubber for the left handed Rohloff shifter. Cinelli cork handlebar tape. And what would a custom bike be like without shoe goo to hold on those glue on cable guides that my bicycle light wires run thru.

indyfabz 07-05-21 10:51 AM

None.

MrWasabi 07-05-21 11:20 AM

I have a pretty good stash of stuff and I probably don't ride as much as others around here to go through it all any day soon. Still, if I see a good deal on something like tubes, cleaner, lubes, I'll probably grab more.

dmanthree 07-05-21 11:22 AM

None. There's always a sale on stuff somewhere.

dedhed 07-05-21 04:03 PM

Just about anything. Heck I bought 10S STIs and derailleurs when they were on clearance when the next generation came out.

wolfchild 07-05-21 04:04 PM

Tubes, tires, brake pads, chains, disk brake caliper, brake levers, brake cables, wheels, pedals, handlebars, bike locks, racks. I've accumulated a lot of extra parts over the years and I don't buy anything anymore unless it's something that I absolutely need.

drlogik 07-05-21 04:20 PM

Good top-shelf tubes.

SapInMyBlood 07-05-21 05:06 PM

Tubes, tyres, chains, cassettes, brake pads and sneks

MrWasabi 07-05-21 05:17 PM

Forgot one and am not sure if this is a consumable the OP is thinking of but I've also been grabbing some biking apparel when I see it on sale.

WhyFi 07-05-21 05:26 PM

I don't usually by any consumables that I don't think I'll use within the year, but I did buy some extra tires early this spring - prices were good and I figured that it would be nice insurance against tight inventory/higher prices and in the event that I gashed a tire or two,

UniChris 07-05-21 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22129563)
None.

Nuun

​​​​​

Gresp15C 07-05-21 06:05 PM

Tubes and Rema patch kits

Troul 07-05-21 06:10 PM

tires, but not tyres. Tired of missing out on those so called random "spectacular sale" sales.

nathand 07-05-21 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by MrWasabi (Post 22130028)
Forgot one and am not sure if this is a consumable the OP is thinking of but I've also been grabbing some biking apparel when I see it on sale.

That counts too. I bought a duplicate of a jersey I already have and really like (a lightweight merino jersey from Ornot) recently, even though I've never worn out (or worn through) a jersey. I have a couple of wool items that have holes in them but nothing so bad I can't wear it.

GhostRider62 07-05-21 06:30 PM

Good brake pads never seem to be on sale. I just buy them when needed.

indyfabz 07-05-21 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Gresp15C (Post 22130074)
Tubes and Rema patch kits

Discounted from $7 to $5.99. And how many flats are you getting? I seem to remember getting one a few years ago.

Gresp15C 07-05-21 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22130127)
Discounted from $7 to $5.99. And how many flats are you getting? I seem to remember getting one a few years ago.

Definitely good points. I've been lucky to have relatively few flats recently. A few were failures at the stem-tube joint, in fact had one of those today. But I also seem to end up sharing my patch kits or helping others fix flats at work. If I were smart, I'd reduce the number of bikes in the fleet, so I wouldn't need multiple sizes of spare tubes, both Schrader and Presta. Or I'd have the guts to drill out the rims that don't strictly need to be Presta. Oh well. Like I said, if I were smart. ;)

BobsPoprad 07-05-21 07:29 PM

Butt'r

kahn 07-05-21 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Troul (Post 22130076)
tires, but not tyres. Tired of missing out on those so called random "spectacular sale" sales.

I believe you meant:

Tyred of missing out on those so called random "spectacular sale" sales.

Troul 07-05-21 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by kahn (Post 22130229)
I believe you meant:

Tyred of missing out on those so called random "spectacular sale" sales.

word use or interpretation is a vicious cycle.

indyfabz 07-05-21 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Gresp15C (Post 22130162)
Definitely good points. I've been lucky to have relatively few flats recently. A few were failures at the stem-tube joint, in fact had one of those today. But I also seem to end up sharing my patch kits or helping others fix flats at work. If I were smart, I'd reduce the number of bikes in the fleet, so I wouldn't need multiple sizes of spare tubes, both Schrader and Presta. Or I'd have the guts to drill out the rims that don't strictly need to be Presta. Oh well. Like I said, if I were smart. ;)

I once rode 6,000 miles unsupported across the US and then some one summer. I got three flats.