Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Living Car Free (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   How many bikes do you own? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=985365)

gerv 12-11-14 08:24 PM

How many bikes do you own?

Rather than figuring what you need, let's disclose what we own.

I'll confess to owning 7 bikes currently. Most of them are from the 70s and 80s. Most of them have been cobbled together. Seems like building and repairing bicycle is a bit of a hobby for me.

Surprisingly, for purpose of transportation right now, I pretty much use just one.

What about you?

Mark Stone 12-11-14 08:33 PM

One . . . .

RISKDR1 12-11-14 08:34 PM

I have five. mid 80's Medici Pro Strada, 79-80ish Gianni Motta track bike (American flag colors) 1985 Specialized stump jumper, Trek Fuel 80 upgraded, 95 Trek 520.

Machka 12-11-14 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by gerv (Post 17382486)
Rather than figuring what you need, let's disclose what we own.

I'll confess to owning 7 bikes currently. Most of them are from the 70s and 80s. Most of them have been cobbled together. Seems like building and repairing bicycle is a bit of a hobby for me.

Surprisingly, for purpose of transportation right now, I pretty much use just one.

What about you?

Between the two of us ... 17 or 18 or 19 or something. We're still digging them out of boxes. To early to make an accurate count.

Grillparzer 12-11-14 08:39 PM

One, due to good public transportation and a very small apartment.

Smallwheels 12-11-14 08:42 PM

What about you?

I have one. The most I've owned at one time was four and not all of them were functioning. For most years I've had two. My other bicycle was sold a couple of years ago to somebody here on bikeforums. If I were to get another one it would be a recumbent made by Cruizbike. I want to try a front wheel drive moving bottom bracket design. They are lighter and faster than most recumbents. The weight balance is really good too.

cyclokitty 12-11-14 09:09 PM

2. One is my commuter, grocery getter. The other is my mtn bike/trainer bike. I'd like a third. Maybe more.

Dahon.Steve 12-11-14 09:28 PM

At the moment, I really only use two while the other are collecting dust. I'm just too lazy to sell them and the good ones cost too much money when they were new. I could probably get a good price for them on ebay. I hate to say this but the total number is 12.

ro-monster 12-11-14 09:30 PM

Two. One Pacific Reach, a quasi-folding bike, that I use most of the time, and one full-suspension mountain bike that I sometimes use for commuting, either because it's rainy (which makes the disc brakes advantageous) or simply because it's fun to ride.

bikemig 12-11-14 09:31 PM

I don't know how many I own. More than 1. Less than 20 I think, ;).

SalsaShark 12-11-14 09:46 PM

Just the two. A Trek Allant, and an inexpensive modified Schwinn MTB that I use as a winter commuter. Both perform admirably! Looking to add a true road bike in the future, but it's not anything I NEED, and I have to keep telling myself that....I will probably break down eventually, though.

Zedoo 12-11-14 11:12 PM

Two I keep and ride and many more in fluid ownership as someone needs a bike or gives it back.

Roody 12-12-14 12:24 AM

One directly. There are a few house bikes that everybody uses.

79pmooney 12-12-14 01:16 AM

6 (one's retired)

1979 Peter Mooney, now with racks and 32c tires
1980? Schwinn LeTour, now a winter geared bike
1983? Trek 420, now a winter fix gear
1990? Peugeot sport frame, now the retired fix gear
2006 TiCycles road bike
2011 TiCycles fix gear

Ben

Jim from Boston 12-12-14 05:00 AM

4 Attachment(s)

Rather than figuring what you need, let's disclose what we own...

What about you?

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 17380216)
…I have a pristine high level carbon fiber road bike that is fine for even the potholed streets of Boston, and actually encourages me to ride because it's such a dream machine. My beater mountain bike is for any inclement weather, and I put on studded tires for the entire winter months. I think about an N+1 folder to bring when I travel far for business or vacation (by car or train)...

The Road Bike is a Specialized S-Works, and the Mountain Bike is a Connondale; I forget the model (not currently here at my workplace). I also own the remains of my beloved, unrideable Bridgestone RB-1 totaled in an accident. The police are asking me what I want them to do with it.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=422552http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=422553http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=422556http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=422559

walksomemore 12-12-14 05:07 AM

Between my spouse and I, eight.....
Specialized Dolce
Masi Carbon Premiare
Trek 520
2 Raleigh Olympian - Mens tourer and a Ladies Mixte (in for surgery/facelifts, then back out)
2 diamondbacks, both entry level, both for sale

So really, our dedicated ownership is about 4 (wife is keeping the Mixte)

Artkansas 12-12-14 05:45 AM

Five.

A utility bike, a recumbent cruiser, two vintage 10 speeds, one was my commuter for decades, and a chopper bicycle for parades.

The chopper and one of the ten speeds may be on the sales block, I don't know.

gerv 12-12-14 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Artkansas (Post 17383111)
Five.

A utility bike, a recumbent cruiser, two vintage 10 speeds, one was my commuter for decades, and a chopper bicycle for parades.

The chopper and one of the ten speeds may be on the sales block, I don't know.

I read this a couple of times and concluded you are right. It's 5, even though it felt like more.

EvilWeasel 12-12-14 06:40 AM

1 and a half... I'm slowly working up to 2.

gerv 12-12-14 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Zedoo (Post 17382875)
Two I keep and ride and many more in fluid ownership as someone needs a bike or gives it back.

Do you live at a bike co-op? This sounds interesting. :)

Zedoo 12-12-14 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by gerv (Post 17383140)
Do you live at a bike co-op? This sounds interesting. :)

No, I just bought a lot of used bikes when they were cheaper and left them in the garage.

Hypno Toad 12-12-14 10:39 AM

5 'his' bikes:
Kona Dew Drop - work horse, commuter, gravel grinder, pull the BOB for big trips, etc
Felt Z85 - fast, fun rides and sunny day commuter
Globe Daily - grocery hauler, commuter for 'stuff' days
Marin Nail Trail - winter commuter and single-track trail bike
Mondonico - newest addition, just damn fun to ride and super classy
(The first four bikes got at least 1,000 miles this year - so none are going to waste :); the Mondonico arrived late in the year and needs work prior to serious rides)

3 'hers' bikes:
Marin Alp - go to bike for anything
Kona Lisa RD - fast, long rides
Civia Twin Cities - city bike, great for date night and errands

& the very real possibility of add 'his' and 'hers' Puglseys for winter fun.

rumrunn6 12-12-14 12:46 PM

I'm waaay down to just 5
1 commuter - aluminum roadified hybrid
1 back up commuter - vintage steel
1 summer commuter, joy rider - vintage cromoly
1 newer summer joy rider - aluminum w carbon fork
1 MTB - vintage steel, maybe cromoly, gotta check

alexaschwanden 12-12-14 01:13 PM

I have 3 bikes currently, 2014 carbon Felt Z5, 2013 raleigh revenio 2.0 hybridized now, felt 960 29er mountain bike.

Walter S 12-12-14 01:30 PM

I love bicycling with a passion. But I get it done with just one. I like it that way. She's outfitted like I like and I would miss her on another.