Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   My First 50 Miler (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1232009)

Rdmonster69 06-05-21 06:58 AM

My First 50 Miler ....... Update ! Second 50 miler !!

The title is not entirely accurate. I did 50 miles when I was about 15 but that was 1985. No cramps in the night but super tired !! I was *****ing about "look at me" types in a different thread and here I am. Look at me lol. I must admit that this crow tastes delicious. It took my 3 hours 50 minutes after a full day of work. Had to suffer for the last 6 miles or so. Can't wait to do it again !!

fredlord 06-05-21 07:03 AM

Congratulations!

Ogsarg 06-05-21 08:33 AM

Seems like a long time since I did my first 50 miler but I remember it being significant. Congratulations. Keep it up and soon 50 will be a walk in the park.

terrymorse 06-05-21 09:21 AM

Congratulations on your first 50!

Soon, you'll think of 50 miles as easy. The next milestone is 100k (62 miles).

guachi 06-05-21 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Rdmonster69 (Post 22089018)
Had to suffer for the last 6 miles or so. Can't wait to do it again !!

That's cycling right there.

BikingViking793 06-05-21 09:48 AM

Congrats! Did a little over 30 today, the way back was against the wind. :) 50 is real good.

rsbob 06-05-21 10:00 AM

Well done sir on your first second 50 miler. Even though your arse might have hurt and your shoulders ached, bicycling has a unique ability to induce amnesia and you will be out there doing more 50 and 50+ milers in the near future. Keep it up!

Suffer to enjoy and enjoy to suffer when you get into long distance rides (Not suitable for all ages, genders and personality types. Batteries not included.)

berner 06-05-21 10:08 AM

The first time I did a 50 miler was preparation for a fund raiser on the following week for a local hospital. That went off alright. The day of the actual fund raiser I made the mistake during the early part of the ride of trying to keep up with a tandem team. I paid for that the last 1/3 of the ride with severe cramping. The lesson was to ride your own ride.

Rdmonster69 06-05-21 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by terrymorse (Post 22089175)
Congratulations on your first 50!

Soon, you'll think of 50 miles as easy. The next milestone is 100k (62 miles).

Oooohhhh .... that sounds awesome!!

kahn 06-05-21 05:24 PM

The title is not entirely accurate. I did 50 miles when I was about 15 but that was 1985. No cramps in the night but super tired !! I was *****ing about "look at me" types in a different thread and here I am. Look at me lol. I must admit that this crow tastes delicious. It took my 3 hours 50 minutes after a full day of work. Had to suffer for the last 6 miles or so. Can't wait to do it again !!

That still makes you less than half my age! :)

I still remember my first century (BC!). Eastern Washington in May and I had not ridden since the prior Fall. Boy, did my neck and shoulders and rump feel that ride.

scott967 06-05-21 07:16 PM

That's great. For me, I remember that I could do 40 without any prep, but to get to 50 and beyond, I had to put some real miles in or it was a killer.

scott s.

Rdmonster69 06-05-21 07:20 PM

I'm gonna shoot for an easy ride tomorrow and middle distance next week and see if I can do 100K. Being injured over the winter has really lit a fire under me in weight training and cycling ....... lost 2 inches in pants size last month .......

livedarklions 06-06-21 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by kahn (Post 22089644)
That still makes you less than half my age! :)

I still remember my first century (BC!). Eastern Washington in May and I had not ridden since the prior Fall. Boy, did my neck and shoulders and rump feel that ride.

By my math, he's 51.

You're older than 102? Not trying to be a smart aleck, just want to know if that's correct cuz that would be amazing.

I rode my first few centuries on a comfort bike. I kind of think I may be the only person to have done that. Didn't hurt a lot, but I do them a lot faster on a proper road bike.
​​

livedarklions 06-06-21 02:01 PM

Look at you! Welcome to the madness! I started riding centuries in my mid-50s. There's not much cooler than finding yourself doing things in your 50s that you didn't or couldn't in your 20s. Bikes are great for that!

I did a century yesterday, but managed to mistime my ride so I was riding the last 50 miles into a steady, very hot headwind. I don't remember the last 20 miles very well.

kahn 06-06-21 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 22090614)
By my math, he's 51.

You're older than 102? Not trying to be a smart aleck, just want to know if that's correct cuz that would be amazing.

I rode my first few centuries on a comfort bike. I kind of think I may be the only person to have done that. Didn't hurt a lot, but I do them a lot faster on a proper road bike.
​​

Well, my cognitive powers are probably closer to 101!!! :twitchy: I started with the 1985 but did not subtract his 15 years from that.

livedarklions 06-06-21 02:09 PM

Rdmonster69 I just looked up your posting history, and I gotta say, doing this just over a half a year from those horrific injuries is downright heroic. That's some very, very serious rehab, and your pride is well earned.

livedarklions 06-06-21 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by kahn (Post 22090624)
Well, my cognitive powers are probably closer to 101!!! :twitchy: I started with the 1985 but did not subtract his 15 years from that.

They told me there would be no math on this forum.

So at least 72. Are you still riding centuries?

kahn 06-06-21 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 22090643)
They told me there would be no math on this forum.

So at least 72. Are you still riding centuries?

No. I'd like to kick it up to a metric but we shall see. Biking was always a second activity after hiking and cross-country skiing. This last 6 or 7 months it has been mostly biking as I pulled/strained/something a calf muscle. I managed one cross-country ski and a reasonable hike.

Rdmonster69 06-06-21 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 22090636)
Rdmonster69 I just looked up your posting history, and I gotta say, doing this just over a half a year from those horrific injuries is downright heroic. That's some very, very serious rehab, and your pride is well earned.

Thanks Bro !! As soon as the orthopedic surgeon said I could start working out I’ve went at it HARD ….. I have a neurosurgery appointment this week and hopefully I can space those appointments out some…. 2 years of follow up …..

my orthopedic surgeon is pretty impressed 😂😎

livedarklions 06-07-21 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Rdmonster69 (Post 22091140)
Thanks Bro !! As soon as the orthopedic surgeon said I could start working out I’ve went at it HARD ….. I have a neurosurgery appointment this week and hopefully I can space those appointments out some…. 2 years of follow up …..

my orthopedic surgeon is pretty impressed 😂😎

I have a sneaking suspicion that 50 miles is just a beginning for you! Maybe post on this thread every time you increase your distance? An extreme rehab and late bloomer story is a pretty great combo.

DaveSSS 06-07-21 07:33 AM

Now that summer is finally here, I'll do the same 52 mile loop from my house to Estes Park, through Glen Haven, with over 3000 feet of climbing to 8110 foot of elevation, 3 days per week. At age 68, I need a rest day between rides and I won't ride this route on a weekend due to heavy tourist traffic. Takes me about 3:15, depending on the wind conditions.

I took off at 7:45 this morning and finished in 3:10 today, with an average speed of 16.4. At the peak elevation, after 22 miles, my average speed was only 12.4.

livedarklions 06-07-21 12:36 PM

[QUOTE=kahn;22090786]No. I'd like to kick it up to a metric but we shall see. Biking was always a second activity after hiking and cross-country skiing. This last 6 or 7 months it has been mostly biking as I pulled/strained/something a calf muscle. I managed one cross-country ski and a reasonable hike.[/QUOTE

Good thing you had the biking to fall back on. Those pulled/strained/somethings really suck.

AndrewJB 06-07-21 01:32 PM

This seems like a good time for a friendly reminder from Mr. LeMond...
"It never gets easier, you just get faster"
:)

livedarklions 06-07-21 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by AndrewJB (Post 22092005)
This seems like a good time for a friendly reminder from Mr. LeMond...
"It never gets easier, you just get faster"
:)

Or you just go further. Or both.