Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Goofy Glasses: Look like a **** but get down long and low with no Neck Pain (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=949053)

timtak 05-19-14 11:13 PM

Goofy Glasses: Look like a **** but get down long and low with no Neck Pain

1 Attachment(s)
I may have recommended these before somewhere, but they deserve their own thread.

When I am low on my road bike I get a pain in my neck from having to put my heads up so that I can see out of my spectacles, rather than above them.

I had a local Optician create some cycling glasses with very tall frames on top of some half framed reading glasses. My eyes end up looking like those of Goofy (cartoon dog) but the tall glasses allow me to look out of the tops of my eyes, limited only by my brows. They really need to be this tall to be able to achieve this.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=381560

I heartily recommend them. Spandex looks silly too but we wear it because it works.

coasting 05-20-14 12:06 AM

good idea. don't snooker players wear tall glasses too?

timtak 05-20-14 02:39 AM

Coasting!

Yes, you are right. Here is a UK source for metal ones at 100UKP which are used by snooker players and bowlers (and perhaps in the future cyclists). And here are two sources in USA and Canada, even cheaper at 169 Canadian dollars. And these people ship worldwide with tints and anti-reflective coating etc (prices about 110 USD for cheapest, 240USD for tinted coated lenses)

Please let me know if anyone gets any so I don't feel so goofy.

OldTryGuy 05-20-14 03:56 AM

The Elton look.

Progressive Lense availability?

timtak 05-20-14 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy (Post 16774365)
The Elton look.

And or the Dennis Taylor look.

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy (Post 16774365)
Progressive Lense availability?

The last of the three shop links above at least offers varifocals (tinted, prescription sunglasses too). I am going long sighted and have to take off my distance glasses to read. Soon I will need reading glasses but I am not sure I would need that on my bike. But perhaps I will soon, to be able to read my bicycle computer. drat!

Silvercivic27 05-20-14 04:22 AM

You're not the same guy trying to sell those upper wheel fairings too, are you?

Silvercivic27 05-20-14 04:29 AM

Also, the Tri dorks have been playing around with this stuff for years, and yours look even dumber than theirs:

View-Speed Cyclops Glasses

also, I hope you realize that there is a much easier solution to your problem too. It's called wearing contact lenses. That way, your image is always in focus, no matter which way your eyes or eyeballs are turned. Good luck with the ridicule.

timtak 05-20-14 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Silvercivic27 (Post 16774390)
You're not the same guy trying to sell those upper wheel fairings too, are you?

upper wheel?

I did try to develop some ear fairings, but eventually I went with 100 yen (1USD) ear muff things that seem to do the trick. Is "upper wheel" cyclist speak for ears?

I am not trying to sell these glasses, except in the sense of recommend them. I am in no way affiliated with the shops above.

I did consider contact lenses but I get sweaty and stingy eyes even without them. It is ages since I used contacts. This idea is only for those that wear spectacles.

The tri glasses look interesting but they are not prescription lenses.

Lazyass 05-20-14 05:11 AM

Um. Let's see them with a helmet on your head.

timtak 05-20-14 05:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Lazyass (Post 16774430)
Um. Let's see them with a helmet on your head.

These are the first pair I had made, which are not quite so tall as the ones in the thread above (only 5mm difference) but you can see that there is lots of space for even taller lenses.
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=381578
On flickr
(This picture also shows my ear fairing fail).

Garfield Cat 05-20-14 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Silvercivic27 (Post 16774392)
Also, the Tri dorks have been playing around with this stuff for years, and yours look even dumber than theirs:

View-Speed Cyclops Glasses

also, I hope you realize that there is a much easier solution to your problem too. It's called wearing contact lenses. That way, your image is always in focus, no matter which way your eyes or eyeballs are turned. Good luck with the ridicule.

Do contact lenses work with bifocal type lenses?

timtak 05-20-14 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Garfield Cat (Post 16774456)
Do contact lenses work with bifocal type lenses?

I am not sure of your meaning but bifocal contact lenses do exist. I don't know how it works but contact lenses seem to be able to orientate themselves on the wearers eyes such that they can correct astigmatism, and also be bi or variofocal.

And of course one can wear contact lenses as well as bifocals, if one wanted to, but I am not sure why one would.

But I am not into contact lenses.

This thread is to recommend goofy glasses to those that wear specs and do not want to raise their head (and get a pain in the neck).

In that situation, these snooker/tall/goofy glasses for the win.

RPK79 05-20-14 07:19 AM

Kudos to you taking Fredliness to the highest possible level.

2manybikes 05-20-14 07:22 AM

A mirror mounted on the head tube, and tilted correctly will allow one to see straight ahead while having your face aiming at the ground.

timtak 05-20-14 07:23 AM

I am not sure of the meaning of Fredly, or Fredliness even having googled it.
E.g.
Turing Test for Fredliness - CycleBanter.com

timtak 05-20-14 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by 2manybikes (Post 16774624)
A mirror mounted on the head tube, and tilted correctly will allow one to see straight ahead while having your face aiming at the ground.

Hah hah! Is that how you ride?

I have found that my bike progression is towards the long and low.
1) Aluminium -> carbon frame. At first I thought I loved my carbon frame because it was light, but then I realized that carbon frames are light mountain bikes. They provide suspension lightly. This helps get down low because....
2) Bumps hurt. But hollow (ism/Selle smp) saddles are great. At first I thought that I was too fat to use the drops but then I realized that the bumps hurt my perineum. Hollow saddles for the win.
3) At first I used to crank my neck up to see, but that hurt, so I rarely used my drops but now I have goofy specs and use my drops big time.

gc3 05-20-14 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by timtak (Post 16774325)

Please let me know if anyone gets any so I don't feel so goofy.

Puh-leez, you are without a doubt goofy. You might even deserve the title King of Goofy-ville....

I admire your pluck, however.

Lazyass 05-20-14 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by timtak (Post 16774441)
On flickr

Looks like you have two cans of beer on your head.

rebel1916 05-20-14 08:16 AM

I wouldn't wear those for love or money. I admire your gumption and "I don't give a rats ass" attitude though. On a similar note, I'm going for a LASIK consult on Thursday.

aubiecat 05-20-14 08:19 AM

Oh dear. I needed a good hysterical, cough inducing laugh this morning.

2manybikes 05-20-14 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by timtak (Post 16774644)
Hah hah! Is that how you ride?

I have found that my bike progression is towards the long and low.
1) Aluminium -> carbon frame. At first I thought I loved my carbon frame because it was light, but then I realized that carbon frames are light mountain bikes. They provide suspension lightly. This helps get down low because....
2) Bumps hurt. But hollow (ism/Selle smp) saddles are great. At first I thought that I was too fat to use the drops but then I realized that the bumps hurt my perineum. Hollow saddles for the win.
3) At first I used to crank my neck up to see, but that hurt, so I rarely used my drops but now I have goofy specs and use my drops big time.

Hah hah! You ride with those glasses?

I use it on my trike, when there is a strong headwind. It's more aero than keeping your head tipped up to see through the tops of your glasses. It works perfectly in light traffic, Not well in traffic. There was a company that produced a mirror just for this effect. I'm not saying that the glasses don't work. This is more aero but there is not much fine detail to see in traffic. The glasses seem like they would be better in traffic. The mirror may work better in a triathlon. I had it on a bike with aero bars, it was really great.

coasting 05-20-14 08:43 AM

These are the first pair I had made, which are not quite so tall as the ones in the thread above (only 5mm difference) but you can see that there is lots of space for even taller lenses.
On flickr

King of goofdom.

good on you.

OldTryGuy 05-20-14 09:06 AM

On flickr

Could try these babies....Cat-Ears, LLC - Reduce Cycling Wind Noise

lakhotason 05-20-14 09:13 AM

You're gonna need some wiper blades.

kc0bbq 05-20-14 03:07 PM

Isn't this a problem that has already been solved with regular cycling glasses with prescription lenses?

I respect the ingenuity.