Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

genejockey 01-06-22 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22363929)
Understandable in the sticks. Until 5th grade I went to school in the Philly 'burbs. Bus ride involved some hilly backroads, and snow would stick more easily out there. We were closed many days when city schools were open, which presented problems because mom taught public school in the city. Grandma usually came to watch us.

Went to high school at a boarding school in western MA. One day it snowed so hard and so fast that they closed school that afternoon so staff/faculty members who did not live in town could get home. The only thing that stayed open was the cafeteria. And we are talking about people who were used to driving in snow. At one point snow was falling at a rate of at least 3"/hour.

Yeah. A LOT of the students lived on farms that were along roads that weren't wide enough for a center line. It was a while before they got around to plowing those.

As long as I'm reminiscing about snow - which is something I have the privilege of doing, living where there is none - my parent's house was on a large lot, especially for being in town. 1 3/4 acres. So there was a LONG sidewalk to shovel, which we were legally required to do. The requirement was only for a path to be shoveled, so I always wanted to do just one shovel wide. Dad insisted on my shovelling the full width. Then there was the driveway, which was almost as long as the lot was wide, and ended in a turnaround by the garage. Then there was shoveling a path to the turnaround from the house. There was a LOT of snow shovelling to be done. When I, the last of the kids, went off to college, Dad immediately bought himself the snow blower I'd bugged him to get for years.

genejockey 01-06-22 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22363934)
In 2003 I did a guided backpack trip in Glacier N.P. My guide (I was the only one who signed up for that week.) led moose hunting trips in Alaska. He talked about eating moose ribs. I kept imagining something out of "The Flintstones."

I know I have had elk jerky, and I think I had an elk burger in MT. Bison burgers for sure. Several times. Bison steaks as well.

When you talk to hunters about different types of game, and the discussion turns to elk, they all start looking like Homer Simpson thinking about donuts.

phrantic09 01-06-22 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22363858)
What's the problem?

Seriously, that’s not even “slow down” snow

phrantic09 01-06-22 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22363934)
In 2003 I did a guided backpack trip in Glacier N.P. My guide (I was the only one who signed up for that week.) led moose hunting trips in Alaska. He talked about eating moose ribs. I kept imagining something out of "The Flintstones."

I know I have had elk jerky, and I think I had an elk burger in MT. Bison burgers for sure. Several times. Bison steaks as well.

There was a restaurant here that had elk and boar on the menu, sadly they closed

indyfabz 01-06-22 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22363942)
When you talk to hunters about different types of game, and the discussion turns to elk, they all start looking like Homer Simpson thinking about donuts.

A guy here who recently retired would go moose hunting up in Canada and Elk hunting in out west. Last time was in ID. The trips were guided and sounded somewhat pampered. They supplied (ad did) all the camp stuff for you.

It's big business in some areas. When I was touring in ID in the spring of 2019 I overheard a guy tell someone he had taken in nearly $400K leading hunting trips the years before.

phrantic09 01-06-22 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22363929)
Understandable in the sticks. Until 5th grade I went to school in the Philly 'burbs. Bus ride involved some hilly backroads, and snow would stick more easily out there. We were closed many days when city schools were open, which presented problems because mom taught public school in the city. Grandma usually came to watch us.

Went to high school at a boarding school in western MA. One day it snowed so hard and so fast that they closed school that afternoon so staff/faculty members who did not live in town could get home. The only thing that stayed open was the cafeteria. And we are talking about people who were used to driving in snow. At one point snow was falling at a rate of at least 3"/hour.

gotta love the nor’easters. Up in Watertown where I grew up, if we closed for 6 inches it probably would have been a snow day every week.

BillyD 01-06-22 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22363890)
Anyone following the Djokovic story?

Poor fella is being treated like a prisoner in a dirty hotel. Even had his phone taken away from him for 3 hours when he entered Australia. The horrors. Novak Djokovic being 'treated like a prisoner' by Australian authorities, according to his mother (msn.com)

No sympathy here. Get your frikkin shots!

genejockey 01-06-22 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22363950)
A guy here who recently retired would go moose hunting up in Canada and Elk hunting in out west. Last time was in ID. The trips were guided and sounded somewhat pampered. They supplied (ad did) all the camp stuff for you.

It's big business in some areas. When I was touring in ID in the spring of 2019 I overheard a guy tell someone he had taken in nearly $400K leading hunting trips the years before.

I believe it. I used to be heavily into traditional archery, so I got to be online friends with a lot of bowhunters. Some of them lived in places where deer are pretty much a tasty nuisance animal and they basically fill the freezer locally, but a lot of other folks live spend a chunk of cash every year to hunt, mostly in the Rocky Mountain states. Hunting there, just for the license and tags, is really expensive, and it can be a REALLY BAD IDEA to hunt without a guide in a lot of the West. A friend used to tell a story of getting caught out in a snowstorm - with an experienced local guide - where the guide lost his way, and said they'd better stop before they got lost even worse. They got through the night, once the guide realized they were hunkered down around a tiny fire next to the resin-filled rootball of a fallen pine and got that lit. Turns out there were about 100 feet from the road, and about 1/4 mile from the truck.

MoAlpha 01-06-22 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22363951)
gotta love the nor’easters. Up in Watertown where I grew up, if we closed for 6 inches it probably would have been a snow day every week.

MA or NY? Watertown NY has some serious snow!

phrantic09 01-06-22 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by moalpha (Post 22363975)
ma or ny? Watertown ny has some serious snow!

ny, yes we did. Though it seems worse now.

Mojo31 01-06-22 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22363950)

I know some guys who are really into hunting, some of them into the "exotic" hunting. A couple of them went to a fancy hunting ranch "up yonder in the north somewhere" to hunt deer. They took several. One guy told me that the price was $10,000 + per head depending on the size of the rack. And, the ranch keeps the meet.

I've had lots of game to eat, some I like and some I don't. Elk is good if properly prepared. I really enjoy Bison due to its leanness. Quail is good. Some deer is okay depending on how it's prepared. Fried alligator on the bayou is good. Not a fan of wild boar, snake, rabbit, Rocky Mountain oysters, or dove at all.

Mojo31 01-06-22 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22363970)
No sympathy here. Get your frikkin shots!

I agree! I used to be a fan. No mas.

LesterOfPuppets 01-06-22 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22363768)
Is there supposed to be something remarkable in that vid?

Worrying about seeing lane markers while driving in the snow is the height of hilarity

genejockey 01-06-22 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22363982)
I know some guys who are really into hunting, some of them into the "exotic" hunting. A couple of them went to a fancy hunting ranch "up yonder in the north somewhere" to hunt deer. They took several. One guy told me that the price was $10,000 + per head depending on the size of the rack. And, the ranch keeps the meet.

I've had lots of game to eat, some I like and some I don't. Elk is good if properly prepared. I really enjoy Bison due to its leanness. Quail is good. Some deer is okay depending on how it's prepared. Fried alligator on the bayou is good. Not a fan of wild boar, snake, rabbit, Rocky Mountain oysters, or dove at all.

I gotta say, most of the folks on the bowhunting forum tended to disdain what they called 'canned hunts', which is what the 'fancy hunting ranch' sounds like. They were very much of the 'eat what you kill' ethic.

indyfabz 01-06-22 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22363980)
ny, yes we did. Though it seems worse now.

We spent two nights in Booneville while riding across the country. I later net a guy from there. He said it snows all winter.

Velo Vol 01-06-22 01:15 PM

The snowstorm has arrived.

Velo Vol threat level raised to III.

Velo Vol 01-06-22 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22363951)

I have been through and to Watertown numerous times. All but once in the summer.

Mojo31 01-06-22 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22364008)
I gotta say, most of the folks on the bowhunting forum tended to disdain what they called 'canned hunts', which is what the 'fancy hunting ranch' sounds like. They were very much of the 'eat what you kill' ethic.

The guys I know who are bow hunters feel the same way. Both of them like to go into the Colorado back country and stalk the elk. No feeders, etc.

Velo Vol 01-06-22 01:58 PM

wut

genejockey 01-06-22 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22364049)
The guys I know who are bow hunters feel the same way. Both of them like to go into the Colorado back country and stalk the elk. No feeders, etc.

One guy I used to know had built a whole trophy room under his deck, and he did hunt for the big racks, but he also kept the meat and was enthusiastic about cooking/serving it. Had a bunch of the local forum folks to his house and cooked us mooseburgers. Lean and less gamy than venison, but then again I like venison.

BillyD 01-06-22 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22363990)
Worrying about seeing lane markers while driving in the snow is the height of hilarity

Not at all. You want to know you're in one of the lanes and not on one of the shoulders where a post or mile marker can surprise you.

Of course if you're on a single lane, unmarked road then your biggest concern is staying out of the ditch.

BITD one of my chief concerns driving in a snowstorm was making sure I had enough windshield washer fluid. The horror ...

BillyD 01-06-22 02:39 PM

My company had offices in Watertown. It was rumored to be the coldest town in NY State.

datlas 01-06-22 02:43 PM

Daughter #2's flight from PHL to LAX was NOT canceled. It just took off.

:bday:

Velo Vol 01-06-22 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22364125)
My company had offices in Watertown. It was rumored to be the coldest town in NY State.

Nope.

seedsbelize2 01-06-22 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22363890)
Anyone following the Djokovic story?

Poor fella is being treated like a prisoner in a dirty hotel. Even had his phone taken away from him for 3 hours when he entered Australia. The horrors. Novak Djokovic being 'treated like a prisoner' by Australian authorities, according to his mother (msn.com)

They prolly have vaccination requirements for entering the country. I'm a big fan, but he shouldn't be above the rules. And no, I am not following the story. Other than that he is allowed to play, if he can get into the country.

Velo Vol 01-06-22 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22364155)
I'm a big fan, but he shouldn't be above the rules. And no, I am not following the story.

:foo:

seedsbelize2 01-06-22 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22364113)
Not at all. You want to know you're in one of the lanes and not on one of the shoulders where a post or mile marker can surprise you.

Of course if you're on a single lane, unmarked road then your biggest concern is staying out of the ditch.

BITD one of my chief concerns driving in a snowstorm was making sure I had enough windshield washer fluid. The horror ...

We drove through falling snow at night with the lights off, so we could see where the solid white line was. Of course we had to turn them on for approaching traffic, but then we were completely blind.

bampilot06 01-06-22 03:20 PM

So this morning before I set out on my epic adventure I had a conversation with my wife.

7:30 am
Wife: I am taking the child to the library at 10, I know you won’t be back by then.

Me: Sounds good. Will see you when you get back.

Pedal pedal pedal pedal pedal pedal pedal

9:50 am.

Ring ring ring ring RING!!!!!!!!!

Me: Hello

Wife: Where the hell are you?

Me: (perplexed). On my bike.

Wife: I thought you were going to the library with us.

Me: No, you said you were going alone.

Wife: what time will you be done.

Me: I don’t know 10:30 ish.

Wife: Unbelievable, I can’t believe you.

Me: What time are you coming back from the library

Wife: We are leaving at 11:15

Me: What’s the problem.
Crickets.

It was an exciting morning.

bampilot06 01-06-22 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22364162)
We drove through falling snow at night with the lights off, so we could see where the solid white line was. Of course we had to turn them on for approaching traffic, but then we were completely blind.

When you fly in snow at night, it looks like you are going Ludicrous speed.

rjones28 01-06-22 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22363910)
Did some research. Moose is very expensive, if you can even get it.

Loin of venison in huckleberry sauce remains one of the best meals I have ever had eating out.

An old friend recently nagged a 10 point deer with a crossbow in Missouri. She says she'll have some for me. I once made venison lasagna.

Nagged it to death? Impressive.