Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Winter Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Lost Art of Winter Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1220306)

mcours2006 12-27-20 11:19 AM

Lost Art of Winter Cycling

https://www.outsideonline.com/241927...winter-cycling

epnnf 01-08-21 01:42 PM

While I've never ridden below +15degF, I try to keep the art alive.

xyz 01-17-21 02:24 PM

That picture, he isn't even on a trail. I'd be wiped after a mile unable to make it back home. On skinny tires too!

mcours2006 01-18-21 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by xyz (Post 21882165)
That picture, he isn't even on a trail. I'd be wiped after a mile unable to make it back home. On skinny tires too!

Winter cying pretty much anything goes. You ride where conditions suit the bike you're riding. For me it leans more toward the road. For lots of my riding friends it's fat biking in forested trails. For my downtown friends it's city trails on studded tires.

The whole point of winter riding is really getting out there regardless of the weather. Indoor training has a place but there really is no substitute for getting outdoors. If you can expand your zone of comfort to cold weather riding it opens a world of possibilities when others have packed it away for the season.

Noonievut 01-20-21 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by mcours2006 (Post 21882889)
. If you can expand your zone of comfort to cold weather riding it opens a world of possibilities when others have packed it away for the season.

Once I got the right clothing and got out on a really cold day I realized it wasn’t just comfortable, but because I got out there, I was enjoying the outdoors when the majority were indoors. It’s so special. Hard to convince others though...

xyz 01-20-21 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Noonievut (Post 21887158)
Once I got the right clothing and got out on a really cold day I realized it wasn’t just comfortable, but because I got out there, I was enjoying the outdoors when the majority were indoors. It’s so special. Hard to convince others though...

Really? I have found that with the right gear it's pretty comfy, this time around I had the money to buy a bunch of expensive clothes. The merino wool shirts and the bibs were $95 each, so a grand for 5 of each. Plus a bunch of other stuff.

xyz 01-20-21 09:23 PM

These shirts I wear over the wool shirt. Extra long sleeves with a thumb hole to keep the sleeve from riding up, so you don't get a breeze up your arm. Extra long back to prevent plumber butt. And the box they mail it in has pictures of plumber butt on it so you know what you are getting, lol. Also a jacket where the elastic wrist band is up higher inside the sleeve for riding with gloves, works pretty well.

https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-b...714a604d979556

Noonievut 01-21-21 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by xyz (Post 21887303)
Really? I have found that with the right gear it's pretty comfy, this time around I had the money to buy a bunch of expensive clothes. The merino wool shirts and the bibs were $95 each, so a grand for 5 of each. Plus a bunch of other stuff.

Maybe my post wasn’t clear, with the right clothing I was warm and felt comfortable even though it was well below freezing

cyccommute 01-21-21 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by mcours2006 (Post 21850363)

I have the feeling he’s calling it a “lost art” because he just discovered it. I’ve been practicing this “lost art” since 1977. Smarmy Newbies:rolleyes:

cyccommute 01-21-21 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by mcours2006 (Post 21882889)
Indoor training has a place but there really is no substitute for getting outdoors.

Nope. Indoor training has no place but in a medieval torture chamber right next to the Iron Maiden. I endured about half an hour on a trainer once about 30 years ago. I figure I lost about 5 years of my life that day;) It was so booooring!

xyz 01-21-21 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by cyccommute (Post 21887824)
Nope. Indoor training has no place but in a medieval torture chamber right next to the Iron Maiden. I endured about half an hour on a trainer once about 30 years ago. I figure I lost about 5 years of my life that day;) It was so booooring!

But if you put a bucket under you, you could collect gallons of sweat, must have some resale value.

gecho 01-21-21 12:31 PM

This season has been unusually warm so far, with many days around -5C. I've seen tons of people out riding fat bikes, mountain bikes, hybrids, cross bikes in the snow. The amusing thing is that the vast majority of them aren't using Strava, as the local clubs are just full of trainer rides.

Obeast 01-24-21 01:09 PM

slushy snow feels like riding on sand at times. Winter cycling is quite fun but not for long commute which really sucks.

Bikewolf 01-24-21 02:29 PM

And you know, winter cycling is even more of an art on a non-workday :-))