Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

genejockey 07-29-20 01:29 PM

Another thing to know about the Hwy 1s - there's no flare to the drops, which makes old second generation Ergo levers feel like the brake levers are almost pointed inward. Not a big problem and I got used to it within minutes. But it will probably feels strange going from the R7000 105s on the Canyon to these and back. If you're putting 105s on Hwy 1s, the outward pointing levers will probably feel fine.

genejockey 07-29-20 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21613648)
All this bar talk got me motivated to finally put these flared drops on the Lemond. Bar tape tonight, and possibly a short test ride. Still gonna be 105° at 10pm, so no serious test ride 'til tomorrow morning.

Oooooo!! Pretty!!! Dang, that looks like fun!!!

But if you don't mind my asking, how do you get the tires through the brakes?

LesterOfPuppets 07-29-20 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 21613666)
Oooooo!! Pretty!!! Dang, that looks like fun!!!

But if you don't mind my asking, how do you get the tires through the brakes?

They slide in fairly easily at 25 psi, takes a little coaxing at 40psi. Would be even easier if I'd reset the caliper width to the width of these rims so that I could release the calipers, but some other day :)

mvnsnd 07-29-20 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21613628)
Any you old crumbs ever put stick-on + lenses on your cycling glasses? Wondering if they survive sweat and daily cleaning.

I have often wondered this myself.

genejockey 07-29-20 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21613672)
They slide in fairly easily at 25 psi, takes a little coaxing at 40psi. Would be even easier if I'd reset the caliper width to the width of these rims so that I could release the calipers, but some other day :)

Hmmm. Maybe I'll see if the 28s can be fitted to the Battaglin that way. The old Ergo levers don't give you a lot of opening. I figure there's MAYBE 5mm chainstay clearance on each side with 25s, but the wheel has to be PERFECTLY aligned. The front's no problem - ever seen a MAX fork crown?

LesterOfPuppets 07-29-20 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21613489)
The bridge timbers are likely wood.

Think this is the bridge:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Te...4d-111.9276565

The relatively new, double track bridge to the right is the light rail line.

Oh Yeah, I've been looking at more footage and leading up to the through-truss section from the north it looks like all timber trestle. Folks on the local anti-masker FB group figure it was Antifa :)

And yep, that's the light rail to the east, I've ridden those rails a few times.

BillyD 07-29-20 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21613628)
Any you old crumbs ever put stick-on + lenses on your cycling glasses? Wondering if they survive sweat and daily cleaning.

Heavens no. No, sir.

indyfabz 07-29-20 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21613703)
Oh Yeah, I've been looking at more footage and leading up to the through-truss section from the north it looks like all timber trestle.

Wonder if there is a viable detour.

The bridge that became the Walkway over the Hudson, in Mr. D’s neck of the woods, was torched by vandals. Think it was in ‘73. I’ve ridden across it twice. Quite nice.

LAJ 07-29-20 02:50 PM

Stick-On Cheaters. Whoda thunk.

MoAlpha 07-29-20 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21613754)
Heavens no. No, sir by cracky!.

Bah Humbug 07-29-20 04:13 PM

Whelp, ordered up new windows to hopefully help with the noise issue. Think the current ones weren't doing much in that department.

seedsbelize 07-29-20 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21613255)
Inner screw counter clockwise? I turned it some and nothing seemed to happen.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6bfa4fd04e.jpg

Yes

genejockey 07-29-20 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 21613517)
It went great, till I got to the bend. For a while, I was afraid I was just plain stuck. I think these are more square, that is the tops are longer and straighter before the bend, so it's more acute. If I had my druthers, I'd have used the 3T Motus, if the clamp part hadn't cracked.

So, while I was looking to see if others had the same problem with Motus stems, I stumbled across a thread on that very topic. And on that thread, I read that Salsa's CroMoto SUL stems had been recalled. Well, hell! My Ritchey has had one of those, for the last 12 years!!! I guess I'm lucky I had other bikes! I had no idea they'd been recalled! It gave me the retroactive willies!

Now I have to thread one end of the bar through the Ritchey stem I took off it because the black Salsa stem looked better with the rest of the bike. And rewrap the bar.

Poop.

seedsbelize 07-29-20 05:07 PM

A positive side to the cut off finger presented itself this afternoon. My DeWalt drill driver slipped off the screw and poked a hole through the base of my fingernail, drawing blood. I hardly felt it.

Bah Humbug 07-29-20 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21614057)
A positive side to the cut off finger presented itself this afternoon. My DeWalt drill driver slipped off the screw and poked a hole through the base of my fingernail, drawing blood. I hardly felt it.

:bday: I guess?

DougRNS 07-29-20 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 21613488)
I spent 7 hours on Saturday, refitting my Battaglin MAX bike. New cables, new rear derailleur, new cassette, new tires, new handlebar, new bar tape. It took so long because I was trying to make a short cage Centaur derailleur work rather than swap in the medium cage Veloce I'd bought for the job. So after a lot of time spent fruitlessly, I swapped in the Veloce and voila! It works. Now I'm running 53/39 and 12-30.

The frame is so old, it doesn't take a regular cable guide under the BB. No, it's got a plate with two holes in it. And for years, I've been tolerating the sub-optimal shifting from all the added friction it causes. I threaded some shift cable liner through the holes, and fed the cables through that, heavily greased.

New bar, because the Cinelli Nerve I had on it is 1) real old, and 2) a LO--O-ONG way down to the drops, compared with what The Cool Kids are using these days. I used a SOMA Highway One, which is the right shape, and unlike nearly every other bar, it comes in 26.0 and silver. Finished it all off with white Fizik tape. Even got some white gloves just for this bike, so I don't foul the tape as quickly.

I thought about getting 28s, but the 25s I've been running barley fit though the calipers as it is. And the chainstays are pretty close to the tires. SO instead I just replaced the old Ultra Sports with new GP's, pumped to 100/105.

Today was the 'shakedown cruise'. The new bar fits well, in fact it might need to drop a cm or so - at the same stem height, I feel more upright. Or maybe turn the bar down a hair. Shifting was MUCH better! AND the 30 works well! And I think that the tires made a big difference, even though they're the same size at the same pressure. Felt much less rattly. I'm in love all over again!

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7d19bc7778.jpg

Oh to have a red bicycle again. :love:

DougRNS 07-29-20 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21613540)
See, confirmed, although I’m waiting for the DougRNS endorsement. lol

He's legendary for sure. A legendary what? You decide.

DougRNS 07-29-20 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21613509)

With those "guns" he could be a serious cyclist.

LesterOfPuppets 07-29-20 05:30 PM

We've had these paper towels for weeks, and I just now noticed they've got bikes on 'em. Weird.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3e06e802aa.jpg

LesterOfPuppets 07-29-20 05:32 PM

In other weird news.

No. Not even gonna try it.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3a7928b5e3.jpg

DougRNS 07-29-20 05:33 PM

Apparently you're a glass-half-full kind of guy. who knew?:thumb:

BillyD 07-29-20 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21613757)
Wonder if there is a viable detour.

The bridge that became the Walkway over the Hudson, in Mr. D’s neck of the woods, was torched by vandals. Think it was in ‘73. I’ve ridden across it twice. Quite nice.

Yup.

BillyD 07-29-20 05:41 PM

Look, forget about it, you’d have to damn near kill yourself in order to catch up with trainsnorter.

Trsnrtr 07-29-20 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21614111)
Look, forget about it, you’d have to damn near kill yourself in order to catch up with trainsnorter.

I’d take it personally if it wasn’t true. It’s almost daily that my wife points out that I’m bleeding and asks me if I’ve been near sharp things again. The funny thing is, I hardly notice anymore.

I’ve got a gash on my left shin at the moment and have no idea where or how or when it happened. :rolleyes:

Bah Humbug 07-29-20 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 21614103)
Apparently you're a glass-half-full kind of guy. who knew?:thumb:

Mustard is disgusting. Beer is disgusting. The fruit of this unholy union can only be an abomination.