Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

rjones28 05-10-22 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22502248)
It was 80F today.

It's supposed to be around 80 all week.

LesterOfPuppets 05-10-22 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22502241)

No.

how about with the sunset?

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c55d9a029b.jpg

LAJ 05-10-22 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22502183)
Recipe???

:D

If you can find Braeburn apples, use them. Otherwise, Granny Smith for a more tart, Honey Crisp and Gala for more sweet. It depends what you like, and with Granny Smith, there's enough sweet to offset in the recipe to offset it.

Enough puff pastry sheets to cover 6 apples.

Equal amount of raisins and pecans. 3-4 Tablespoons or so. 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1 tablespoon of brown sugar. Mix all that together.

Core 6 apples, and save all 6 stems. Install the mixture in the cores of the apples. Cut 6 sheets of puff pastry to tightly wrap the apple. You want it round, and you want the heat of your hands to form the dough. (I know it's not puff pastry-like to do that, but tough. It's my recipe) When the apples are totally covered, set them aside. Take one more sheet of puff pastry, and cut 12 leaf shapes out that will match in size and scale to the apples that are set aside. Use a knife to score them so it looks like there are leaf-veins on them, and wet the underside of them so as to apply them to the top of the apple. Once set so the ends of the leaf meet at the top, put the stem in where it "should" be at the top of the apple.

Preheat the oven to 400. Put the apples in a baking pan big enough to keep space between them. Pam or parchment on the bottom of the pan. Put the apples in the oven and keep an eye on them because you're looking for a golden color, so about 20-ish minutes. The puff pastry won't puff, and that's good. It will rise, but not look like baklava, or other puff recipes. Once starting to get golden, reduce heat, and go another 15-25 minutes. Peirce an apple to make sure it's tender inside. Don't burn it, but you want to cook the apple inside. Don't let the leaves burn. You'll see how it plays out. Once done, pull out and let cool.

While apples are baking: In a sauce pan, 2 cups of water, 1 cup of brown sugar, 4 tbsp of butter and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon. Warm on medium heat until boiling-melted and smooth. I've added two teaspoons of cornstarch to make it thicker, but it's not necessary. If you do, make sure and dissolve in water, and stir in slowly to the hot mixture.

I've done this both ways, and both ways are fine. Spoon some syrup over the apples a few times in the last ten minutes of baking, or pull the apples out, let them sit, and prior to serving, warm them up, warm up the sauce, and add sauce as they're being served.

They look awesome, and taste better.

Here's a pic, and that's sort of how you want the leaf to look, and as said, it'll be glued to the apple, not free floating like the pic.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...82d40d7133.jpg

LAJ 05-10-22 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22502197)
If they are any good they donít need rehearsals. Itís just counting, after all.

Drum and Bugle Corps have the separate bus for the percussion. They "practice" during the whole journey.

LAJ 05-10-22 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22502247)
It was bread week. One of the breads was croissant.

Sweet bread is delicious. Sweet bread with basically pizza ingredients kneaded in (olives, green peppers, small amount of cheese, stuff like that) is awesome. A nice crust on top... Same dough as cinnamon rolls... That kind of sweet bread. Ingredients are up to your imagination.

big john 05-10-22 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22502251)

Yep. Trance 29 3.

How fun!

LesterOfPuppets 05-11-22 12:19 AM

Uh-oh. Habanero in my size alert. Orange CK hubs and HS. Red shifty and brakey bits.
I don't need another road bike. I don't need another road bike...

https://scontent.fphx1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...aA&oe=627F5AF0

gnome 05-11-22 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22502345)
Uh-oh. Habanero in my size alert. Orange CK hubs and HS. Red shifty and brakey bits.

Doo et.

indyfabz 05-11-22 03:26 AM

I have a bit of an issue with todayís word.

Wordle 326 4/6

🟩🟩⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

ls01 05-11-22 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22502086)
This what we've had since moving into this house. Does everything we want or need. Love the temp control gas gives.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7ad6295f63.jpg

You say such nice things! You're welcome

ls01 05-11-22 03:44 AM

What a beautiful day! First Tuesday night ride done. New member to the group fit right in like he's been with us for years.

Bah Humbug 05-11-22 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22502368)
I have a bit of an issue with todayís word.

Wordle 326 4/6

🟩🟩⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

It's a perfectly valid word... I tried a totally different strategy and got the exact normal result.

Wordle 326 4/6

⬛⬛🟨⬛⬛
⬛⬛🟨🟨⬛
🟩🟩⬛🟨⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Mojo31 05-11-22 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22502241)
What band?

I haven't been to a rehearsal for any other band in ages, but I think this is how most of them operate.

No.

She's in Ohio. Only been playing percussion for a few months. I'm not sure if she's KCB material yet.

Our community band.

Mojo31 05-11-22 06:17 AM

Wordle 326 2/6

⬜⬜🟨🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

phrantic09 05-11-22 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22501959)
I've got an induction stove, but I can't say that I can recall seeing any induction-only cookware. I also can't think of why a pan might suitable for induction but not gas/electric - the only reason that some pans aren't suitable for induction is that they don't have any magnetic layers.

When we finally redo our kitchen we will likely get an induction range. I donít really feel like cutting a hole in our slab to run a gas line.

Velo Vol 05-11-22 06:39 AM

Slow morning. Everyone must be updating their CPI spreadsheets.

indyfabz 05-11-22 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22502384)
It's a perfectly valid word

But there is an alternative spelling.

indyfabz 05-11-22 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22501981)
How do you know?

From building models for one thing. Fingers can start to stick together in a matter of seconds.

Bah Humbug 05-11-22 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22502458)
But there is an alternative spelling.

Thatís listed as obsolete and is one even I hadnít been aware of until looking just now.

Mojo31 05-11-22 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22502255)
If you can find Braeburn apples, use them. Otherwise, Granny Smith for a more tart, Honey Crisp and Gala for more sweet. It depends what you like, and with Granny Smith, there's enough sweet to offset in the recipe to offset it.

Enough puff pastry sheets to cover 6 apples.

Equal amount of raisins and pecans. 3-4 Tablespoons or so. 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1 tablespoon of brown sugar. Mix all that together.

Core 6 apples, and save all 6 stems. Install the mixture in the cores of the apples. Cut 6 sheets of puff pastry to tightly wrap the apple. You want it round, and you want the heat of your hands to form the dough. (I know it's not puff pastry-like to do that, but tough. It's my recipe) When the apples are totally covered, set them aside. Take one more sheet of puff pastry, and cut 12 leaf shapes out that will match in size and scale to the apples that are set aside. Use a knife to score them so it looks like there are leaf-veins on them, and wet the underside of them so as to apply them to the top of the apple. Once set so the ends of the leaf meet at the top, put the stem in where it "should" be at the top of the apple.

Preheat the oven to 400. Put the apples in a baking pan big enough to keep space between them. Pam or parchment on the bottom of the pan. Put the apples in the oven and keep an eye on them because you're looking for a golden color, so about 20-ish minutes. The puff pastry won't puff, and that's good. It will rise, but not look like baklava, or other puff recipes. Once starting to get golden, reduce heat, and go another 15-25 minutes. Peirce an apple to make sure it's tender inside. Don't burn it, but you want to cook the apple inside. Don't let the leaves burn. You'll see how it plays out. Once done, pull out and let cool.

While apples are baking: In a sauce pan, 2 cups of water, 1 cup of brown sugar, 4 tbsp of butter and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon. Warm on medium heat until boiling-melted and smooth. I've added two teaspoons of cornstarch to make it thicker, but it's not necessary. If you do, make sure and dissolve in water, and stir in slowly to the hot mixture.

I've done this both ways, and both ways are fine. Spoon some syrup over the apples a few times in the last ten minutes of baking, or pull the apples out, let them sit, and prior to serving, warm them up, warm up the sauce, and add sauce as they're being served.

They look awesome, and taste better.

Here's a pic, and that's sort of how you want the leaf to look, and as said, it'll be glued to the apple, not free floating like the pic.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...82d40d7133.jpg

Copied to the recipe folder!

Skins on the apples, I presume?

ls01 05-11-22 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22502345)

No one does, and yet here we are

rjones28 05-11-22 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22502440)
Slow morning. Everyone must be updating their CPI spreadsheets.

That's exactly what I was doing.

LAJ 05-11-22 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22502477)
Copied to the recipe folder!

Skins on the apples, I presume?

Absolutely

rjones28 05-11-22 07:30 AM

One of the local farmers was tilling a nearby field after midnight, last night.

Mojo31 05-11-22 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22502485)
Absolutely

Thanks for sharing!

What else do you have up your sleeve?

LAJ 05-11-22 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22502498)
Thanks for sharing!

What else do you have up your sleeve?

My pleasure.

As with any recipe, add less or more to taste. I've messed with vanilla extract, cloves, different spices. It's a very flexible dish. Vanilla ice cream? Why not? It shares the bowl nicely.

I never know what's up my sleeve until I look. :)

LAJ 05-11-22 07:45 AM

All your talk had me worried.

Wordle 326 3/6

⬜⬜🟨🟨🟨
🟩⬜🟨🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Mojo31 05-11-22 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22502513)
My pleasure.

As with any recipe, add less or more to taste. I've messed with vanilla extract, cloves, different spices. It's a very flexible dish. Vanilla ice cream? Why not? It shares the bowl nicely.

I never know what's up my sleeve until I look. :)

I actually envisioned a big ole dollop of homemade vanilla ice cream with it.

LAJ 05-11-22 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22502523)
I actually envisioned a big ole dollop of homemade vanilla ice cream with it.

It's good. Ice cream from somewhere with "creamery" in the name. :) rjones and datlas have plenty of those there.

Making your own puff pastry is an option, and I've done it, but so much work for very little gain. Other than the fact that it was all done at home.

BillyD 05-11-22 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22502247)
It was bread week. One of the breads was croissant.

Chocolate, I betcha.