Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

noglider 10-19-10 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by banjo_mole (Post 11644972)
My favorite thing about this image is that the AWG hubs are very old, and the bike itself is much newer.

That alone speaks volumes.

I agree. The hub is pretty inconspicuous, especially to the untrained eye, so the specialness of this bike is not readily apparent. But we folks here can see it and understand it.

AL NZ 10-19-10 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by gbalke (Post 11644822)
I have to agree with Rudi on this. The oil rub should work wonders preserving the original paint and decals. The one thing you do not want to do is to strip it and powder coat it; that would definitely effect its actual value in the most negative way.

I also don't want to strip it. I like the original look, the 'patina' if you like (but I hate that over-used word)
What should I rub with - cloth, or something a little more abrasive?
thanks for the replies, guys

Sixty Fiver 10-19-10 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 11645116)
I agree. The hub is pretty inconspicuous, especially to the untrained eye, so the specialness of this bike is not readily apparent. But we folks here can see it and understand it.

1964 English hub in a 1988 bike... it's a sin I'd commit again.

noglider 10-19-10 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 11645924)
1964 English hub in a 1988 bike... it's a sin I'd commit again.

:roflmao: Not a sin at all! Mix the good from the old with the good from the new. Well, not new but not old.

rhm 10-19-10 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by banjo_mole (Post 11644972)
My favorite thing about this image is that the AWG hubs are very old, and the bike itself is much newer.

That alone speaks volumes.

Hey guys, is there really such a thing as an AWG hub, and if not, could we please not talk about them? Presumably you mean an AG, which is the generator version of an AW. I've never heard of an AWG.

Originally Posted by AL NZ (Post 11645864)
I also don't want to strip it. I like the original look, the 'patina' if you like (but I hate that over-used word)
What should I rub with - cloth, or something a little more abrasive?
thanks for the replies, guys

I don't think you have to abrade it any more. Saturate a disposable cloth with the oil of your choice, and rub that on the bike, both painted and unpainted surfaces. If you use boiled linseed oil or tung oil, it will be sticky when you're done. That's okay; let it dry somewhere where no dust will settle on it. Linseed oil may take a little longer than tung oil.

Sixty Fiver 10-19-10 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by rhm (Post 11645961)
Hey guys, is there really such a thing as an AWG hub, and if not, could we please not talk about them? Presumably you mean an AG, which is the generator version of an AW. I've never heard of an AWG.

You are correct...

It is technically an AG but I always find myself tossing in the "W"... they also made the FG which is the 4 speed version of this hub which is also a "W" in that it also a wide range hub.

The AG was produced from 1946 until 1983 although I have never seen one any newer than the one I have as they seem to have been superceded in popularity by the front Dynohubs.

http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.co...s/pic-66-s.jpg

JJPistols 10-19-10 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 11608159)
Figured I liked my old 3 spd winter bike so much I needed another one so built up a Mavic wheel around a '64 SA-AWG (36 4 cross) and now get to find out why it won't shift into 1st.

Still need to install my rear brake too...

So... not exactly English... and not quite a 3 speed (yet).

http://www.ravingbikefiend.com/bikep...shasta3spd.JPG

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 11619901)
Sorted out the problem with the AWG and it's not finding or slipping out of first right into 2nd... the drive side adjustments were out and with a loose cone it allows everything inside to shift just enough that the planetary gears will not align in first.

Now I need a full chaincase... :)

http://www.ravingbikefiend.com/bikepics/uav3spd2.JPG

I took the hub apart just to take a peek inside and the internals were squeaky clean and it does not look like my 45 year old hub has any mileage on it at all the the dynohub is cranking out the power quite nicely... the AWG seems to have less drag than a front dynohub too.

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 11636860)
Here's a little before and after and I was pretty thankful I did not have a derailleur on my bike today... the clay mud along the river is like velcro but had no effect on the AWG and cleaning this up will be easy...

Before... shiny and clean.

http://www.ravingbikefiend.com/bikepics/uavatv7.JPG

After...

http://www.ravingbikefiend.com/bikepics/uavatv2.JPG

http://www.ravingbikefiend.com/bikep...vatvmudbog.JPG

:D

that is a fantastic machine and it looks like you are gonna ride hell out of it - good for you

wahoonc 10-19-10 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 11646179)
You are correct...

It is technically an AG but I always find myself tossing in the "W"... they also made the FG which is the 4 speed version of this hub which is also a "W" in that it also a wide range hub.

The AG was produced from 1946 until 1983 although I have never seen one any newer than the one I have as they seem to have been superceded in popularity by the front Dynohubs.

I have a couple from the 1970's IIRC one is a 1971 and the other a 1973. I also have an FG that is going to be converted to 5 speed, for my club racer.

Aaron :)

AL NZ 10-19-10 09:43 PM

has anyone fitted modern chromoplastic guards to an old English 3-speeder?
I am wondering if the 700c size will stretch to fit a 28" tyre, and if so, which width guard is best?
Or, alternatively , a set of hammered Honjos!

Any thoughts?

Sixty Fiver 10-19-10 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by JJPistols (Post 11646803)
that is a fantastic machine and it looks like you are gonna ride hell out of it - good for you

Hell is just around the corner... we call it winter.

noglider 10-19-10 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by AL NZ (Post 11649107)
has anyone fitted modern chromoplastic guards to an old English 3-speeder?
I am wondering if the 700c size will stretch to fit a 28" tyre, and if so, which width guard is best?
Or, alternatively , a set of hammered Honjos!

Any thoughts?

I haven't done it, and I haven't heard of it done, but it might work. The size differences are really a lot less than an inch:

700c: 622mm BSD
27": 630mm BSD
28": 635mm BSD

And for reference, one inch = 25.4 mm.

sailorbenjamin 10-19-10 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by fiataccompli (Post 11629504)
This isn't English, but it is a 3 speed. It's a '65 Schwinn Racer (unfortunately the SA hub/wheel was replaced w/ a Shimano setup...but it works perfectly). I've been enjoying this one thoroughly as an office errand or quick lunch break excursionist...very much in the correct spirit of the English 3 speed, eh? I have to say it's a plush ride...perhaps equal or even more plush than my '65 Robin Hood...hmmm.....

I had a Breeze for a little while that I thought compared really favorably with the lady's Sports that I've had. It made me want to find a 23" Racer to try. Haven't found one yet in my size on payday. I got a Sports Tourer but it's not the same animal. I like my Super Course a lot better. I picked up a 23" Continental to try. It needs some grease before I do that, though.
Tonight I replace the normal Northroads bars on my Super Course with the really wide kind off a Schwinn. I like the width and the height a lot. I wish they'd used a gentler curve where they bend from the handgrip part to the center part. I grab that when I'm pulling up a hill and the old NR was more comfy there. Maybe some cork tape will even things out some.

mkeller234 10-22-10 12:39 AM

I made this for another thread. I feel like I should make or do something with it.... any ideas?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1079/...1f3cf75f_b.jpg

noglider 10-22-10 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by mkeller234 (Post 11661555)
I made this for another thread. I feel like I should make or do something with it.... any ideas?

Wow, Matt, you're good. How did you do that? I think I just might make a poster of that.

Tom

mkeller234 10-22-10 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 11661895)
Wow, Matt, you're good. How did you do that? I think I just might make a poster of that.

Tom

Ha, thank you. I got a little sloppy around the rear wheel because I was in a hurry. I cut a mask in Adobe photoshop and filled it with black on a separate layer.

I did this one of my Gran Sport too in a different style. This one is messy but I think it's a little more interesting since it shows textures.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1259/...d1c61c4e_b.jpg

snarkypup 10-22-10 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by mkeller234 (Post 11661555)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1079/...1f3cf75f_b.jpg

T-shirts, clearly. That we can buy.

jedge76 10-22-10 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by mkeller234 (Post 11661957)
Ha, thank you. I got a little sloppy around the rear wheel because I was in a hurry. I cut a mask in Adobe photoshop and filled it with black on a separate layer.

I did this one of my Gran Sport too in a different style. This one is messy but I think it's a little more interesting since it shows textures.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1259/...d1c61c4e_b.jpg

Agreed, t-shirts. I like the added texture. Adds to the vintage nature of the bicycle. Nice work! I never have taken a graphic design approach in CS3--I have a lot of respect for the job you did.

mkeller234 10-22-10 05:47 PM

I never noticed how crooked the pictures were before I made them black and white. I have the ability to print on canvas, that might be cool. The sloppier image would be good for screen printing, I have a simple single frame somewhere. I might dig it out and attempt to make a t-shirt, I haven't done that since high school.

jedge76 10-23-10 07:32 PM

I may have done something stupid. I added several drops of oil to my SA today. The oil is formulated for 4-cycle lawn mowers and seems somewhere in between 10W-30 and 4-in-1 oils. When I went to ride it, the "click--click--click" of the SA hub was no longer there. The shifting also skipped or wouldn't engage when I was at slower speeds. Did I add too much or is the oil too heavy? Not sure what to do.

kingsting 10-23-10 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by jedge76 (Post 11668924)
I may have done something stupid. I added several drops of oil to my SA today. The oil is formulated for 4-cycle lawn mowers and seems somewhere in between 10W-30 and 4-in-1 oils. When I went to ride it, the "click--click--click" of the SA hub was no longer there. The shifting also skipped or wouldn't engage when I was at slower speeds. Did I add too much or is the oil too heavy? Not sure what to do.

Hmmmm. You may have flushed some old goop out that is causing the pawls or something to hang up.

I don't think motor oil that thin would hurt anything. (unless it's real cold out) I used to put 50W Valvoline racing oil in these hubs which worked fine in the summer months... :rolleyes:

A you could try a little WD-40 or Tri-flow to thin out the oil.

jedge76 10-23-10 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by kingsting (Post 11669190)
Hmmmm. You may have flushed some old goop out that is causing the pawls or something to hang up.

I don't think motor oil that thin would hurt anything. (unless it's real cold out) I used to put 50W Valvoline racing oil in these hubs which worked fine in the summer months... :rolleyes:

A you could try a little WD-40 or Tri-flow to thin out the oil.

That sounds plausible. Thanks for the advice. I have a feeling I may have added too much. Is that a possibility and, if so, would WD-40 be a good way to flush some of it out? I really appreciate your advice and all the others who I know will chime in. Man, it was running so smoothly, seemingly, until I added that oil.

Sixty Fiver 10-23-10 08:40 PM

Here is a little known fact about English three speeds... the tick tick tick of the AW attracts chickadees in droves and when this happens you better have some sunflower seeds to give them or it could get ugly.

:)

jedge76 10-23-10 08:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the oil I used:

Andrew F 10-23-10 09:02 PM

30 w oil is fine. Chances are there is too much oil in the hub, good news is that if finds it's way out by itself. IMO I'd ride it for a while, the clicking and smooth shifting will return. My experience has been: If shifting from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd hangs up, it is more likely the cable, or the indicator chain, make sure they move freely. You can watch to see if the chain moves smoothly into the hub. If the hang up is from 3rd to 2nd or 2nd to 1st than it might be something within the hub.

jedge76 10-23-10 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew F (Post 11669317)
30 w oil is fine. Chances are there is too much oil in the hub, good news is that if finds it's way out by itself. IMO I'd ride it for a while, the clicking and smooth shifting will return. My experience has been: If shifting from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd hangs up, it is more likely the cable, or the indicator chain, make sure they move freely. You can watch to see if the chain moves smoothly into the hub. If the hang up is from 3rd to 2nd or 2nd to 1st than it might be something within the hub.

What happens is that I go to shift from say 2nd to 1st, it just won't go. I push on the shifter and it won't go even w/ a little extra push than normal. Like you said, it seems like there's too much oil. Still very rideable so I'll just have another reason to ride the hell out of it! Should I try some WD-40 through the oil port in the hub just to see if it's some dirt, etc. that was loosened up?