Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Short-nosed saddles? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1267180)

Polaris OBark 02-04-23 04:36 PM

Short-nosed saddles?

What are the main advantages of a short-nosed saddle? They seem to be popular now. I unintentionally bought one, and I am trying to understand the advantages. An internet search resulted in some vague (and somewhat conflicting) claims.

My wife has a Brooks-S, and the snub-nose apparently was introduced a few hundred thousand years ago when women wore long skirts while cycling. I assume that is not the current intent. However, the prospect of not snagging one's chamois on a saddle nose has an appeal.

79pmooney 02-04-23 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark (Post 22790653)
What are the main advantages of a short-nosed saddle? They seem to be popular now. I unintentionally bought one, and I am trying to understand the advantages. An internet search resulted in some vague (and somewhat conflicting) claims.

My wife has a Brooks-S, and the snub-nose apparently was introduced a few hundred thousand years ago when women wore long skirts while cycling. I assume that is not the current intent. However, the prospect of not snagging one's chamois on a saddle nose has an appeal.

There have been racing saddles recently with snub noses to semi-defeat the required setback rule. Chop off the nose and you can ride a forward position on the "meat" of the saddle and still have that required distance back to the saddle nose.

Not for me. I use all of my saddles. All the way back on some power climbs. "On the rivet" going hard. And ever mm between depending on how I feel at the moment.

tyrion 02-04-23 04:59 PM

I got a good quality leather saddle (Cardiff from VO or SOMA I think) because it was on sale for $50 and I tried it and - no way, it was too short (probably like a B17 women's short) and it would poke me in ways I didn't like. 15 minutes of riding and I determined not working for me.

Regular B17s work for me for the most part, but I'm always looking.

Random11 02-04-23 05:08 PM

What are the main advantages of a short-nosed saddle?....

What are the disadvantages? I have two bikes, one with a short nose saddle and one with a long nose. They are the saddles that came with the bikes. They both seem fine to me. I might prefer the short-nosed one a bit more, but not because of the short nose. If I were shopping for a replacement saddle (I'm not), I'd probably go with a short nose, just because I don's see the advantage of a long nose.

Polaris OBark 02-04-23 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by 79pmooney (Post 22790674)
There have been racing saddles recently with snub noses to semi-defeat the required setback rule. Chop off the nose and you can ride a forward position on the "meat" of the saddle and still have that required distance back to the saddle nose.

Aha. I knew there must be some reason, but I didn't realize it would be a racer thing. Gravel people seem to be going for them.

Polaris OBark 02-04-23 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by tyrion (Post 22790676)
it would poke me in ways I didn't like.​​​​

I won't ask what other ways there are.

​​​Regular B17s work for me for the most part, but I'm always looking.
I know that feeling. I have yet to find anything better. (Even the Berthoud didn't quite live up to expectations.)

Polaris OBark 02-04-23 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Random11 (Post 22790683)
What are the disadvantages? I have two bikes, one with a short nose saddle and one with a long nose. They are the saddles that came with the bikes. They both seem fine to me. I might prefer the short-nosed one a bit more, but not because of the short nose. If I were shopping for a replacement saddle (I'm not), I'd probably go with a short nose, just because I don's see the advantage of a long nose.

I think a longer-nosed saddle gives a bit more leverage and ability to move around a bit more. Also if you ride off-road, sometimes it is advantageous to hang one's copious arse off the back of the saddle, in which case being able to squeeze the nose between one's legs helps stabilize the bike.

tyrion 02-04-23 05:36 PM

A leather hammock saddle has a sweet spot where it's all good. A shorter saddle has a shorter sweet spot.

#math

veganbikes 02-04-23 06:44 PM

While riding recently with no hands (which is a rare occurrence) I realized how much the nose really is helpful. I mean I knew it but it just reinforced it further in how much body english plays a part in riding. It was kind of fun running uphill dodge little potholes and cracks with just a little light leaning.

I don't see the usage in a noseless saddle but as long as you have some nose to maneuver I think it is fine.

chaadster 02-05-23 09:31 AM

I think the advantage of the short nose saddle design is that it reduces perineum pressure for those who ride with forward-tipped pelvis position. It’s more room for your “tender bits.”

That’s how it works for me, anyway, even though I can ride some standard (i.e. long nose) saddles fine. My San Marco ShortFit Racing is the most comfy saddle I ride, but it’s not lightyears ahead of my Fizik Aliante R3s, so I’m kinda indifferent. I mean, how don’t know how much other factors, like bige geometry, riding position, and terrain play into it, so why mess with a good thing?

I use the SgortFit Racing on my gravel bike, but will probably try one out on my next roadie build, just to see.

Juliussharpe 02-06-23 11:07 AM

I’ve tried a bunch of these types of saddles out of curiosity but keep coming back to a regular Brooks.

t2p 02-06-23 12:25 PM

one potential advantage of a shorter saddle is slightly increased ‘standability’ when stopped and standing over the top tube of a bike with sloping top tube

can also be an asset when mounting and dismounting on a bike with sloping top tube ... less potential for shorts to catch on nose of saddle (baggy / off-road shorts)

WTB Koda is popular saddle for some riders due to above reasons ; Koda is approx 255 length - compared to similar Volt @ 265 length (going by memory so numbers might be off a tad)

beng1 02-07-23 07:09 AM

The nose of a saddle is for stability, when you are standing up pedaling or coasting it rests against the thigh and steadies the bike as you maneuver it. The seat has to be level or drop-nosed a bit so this part of the seat can do it's job without intruding on the wedding-tackle. Try riding a bike around, standing up on the pedals that has no seat and you will really miss having it there, especially it's length.

chaadster 02-07-23 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by beng1 (Post 22793070)
The nose of a saddle is for stability, when you are standing up pedaling or coasting it rests against the thigh and steadies the bike as you maneuver it. The seat has to be level or drop-nosed a bit so this part of the seat can do it's job without intruding on the wedding-tackle. Try riding a bike around, standing up on the pedals that has no seat and you will really miss having it there, especially it's length.

Yeah, stability…that’s the ticket.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...678a9c9c9.jpeg

prj71 02-07-23 09:15 AM

What are the main advantages of a short-nosed saddle? .

When bent over to be more aerodynamic, a shorter nose eliminates/relieves the pressure points between the recreation area and the dump.

Polaris OBark 02-07-23 01:45 PM

I hope you enjoyed your ban. I did.

terrymorse 02-07-23 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by beng1 (Post 22793070)

Time when the saddle nose is most useful: descending fast and rough road, with your weight completely on the pedals, cranks in the horizontal position, thighs squeezing the saddle nose.

It's a very stable position.

prj71 02-08-23 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark (Post 22793468)
I hope you enjoyed your ban. I did.

Yes, I did. Thank you so much for helping me out. You know it was for your own good...It would have been hard to stay online friends with you if I didn't get banned.

zandoval 02-08-23 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by tyrion (Post 22790676)
...I'm always looking.

Yes!!! We are always looking, thank you...

In the old days a short nosed saddle was considered a woman's saddle and by that it was wider in the seat. Wide long nosed (male) saddles were rare and expensive (B-17). My big ass and wide sit bones needed a saddle width that could only be found in a woman's saddle which were inherently short nosed.

My latest cheap bastard saddle find is the Unisex Bikearoo. Just long enough nose and wide. The search goes on...

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...92f7c93877.png
Amazon