Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Bar End Shifters (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1211442)

Gaff 08-27-20 06:33 AM

Bar End Shifters

Good morning,

I am looking at possibly putting bar end shifters on my Miyata One Thousand. There are some nice vintage Suntour and Shimano bar end shifters out there. From what I have read, the Suntours are highly regarded. They would control a set of Deore Deer Heads.

I’d welcome any insight as to what might you think might work the best for this setup.

Thanks!

bikemig 08-27-20 06:41 AM

If you are going to stay with friction, sun tour bar cons are excellent. If you want something new, dia compe makes friction bar end end shifters.

If you are going indexed, then get the right bar end shifters; shimanos are excellent.

I'm running dia compe ene bar end shifters on my 1982 Trek 720 and suntour barcons on my mid 70s Fuji Finest. I like them both but I like the suntour bar cons a bit better. YMMV.

wintermute 08-27-20 07:31 AM

I have new Dia Compes controlling Shimano Deer Heads on my drop bar MTB conversion. Between the micro-ratcheting on the DIa Compes (which allows you to run with less friction) and the Centeron lever on the RD, it shifts like a dream. Since you're not running indexed, don't bother with Shimanos and go with Dia Compe or Rivendell if you want new and Suntour if you want old.

The Golden Boy 08-27-20 07:32 AM

The Suntour Barcons are the standard for friction bar end shifting.

While most bar end shifters will have a friction option, IMO dedicated friction shifters are better for your application if you’re planning on keeping the Deer Heads. Campagnolo and Simplex made some pure friction units. Shimano had some friction bar end shifters- the L600- that had a spring that counteracts the derailleur springs- The Suntour units have a clutched ratcheting system that is more stable and nice to use. If you get really lucky, Simplex made their Retrofriction shifters as bar ends- it’s a smooth clutched action.

But really- the Suntour Barcons are the standard.

Gaff 08-27-20 08:22 AM

Thanks for the great information! I am finding the reach for the DT shifters less than ideal these days and looking for something more comfortable and secure.

ryansu 08-27-20 09:32 AM

There was a bar con thread within the last few years you might want to search for that to get more info, inspiration

Gaff 08-27-20 09:33 AM

I found a set of NOS Suntour Power Ratchets. Looking forward to giving them a try.

Thanks again.

GravityMan 08-27-20 09:49 AM

I just rebuilt a 1989 Cannondale ST400 with triple crank and 6 speed freewheel. I used new Shimano SL-BS77 bar end shifters (in stock at JensonUSA) in friction mode controlling vintage Suntour 3040 FD & RD. Works like a champ and comes with all the parts you need to do the conversion including cables and housing. Took me about 45 minutes to mount both and that was taking my time.

I built them into Venzo drop bars that I added to a flat bar to give some additional ride positions. Look them up on Amazon. I can't post the link because I don't have 10 posts, sorry.

The whole conversion includes a stemless adapter and adjustable mount, flat bar, bar end climbing grips and the Venzo drops. Lots of adjustability!

arex 08-27-20 05:08 PM

I have Suntour barcons on one bike with Suntour derailleurs, and Shimano Ultegra barend shifters on another bike with Deore XT derailleurs. The Ultegra shifters are quite good, but the Suntour shifters feel nicer. It also doesn't hurt that the Suntour shifters are a little longer to fit my massive paws.

Suntour barcons are getting a bit scarce, though, so that's a consideration.

Miele Man 08-27-20 05:15 PM

The thing that made SunTour bar end shifters superior is that they were ratchet shifters unlike Campagnolo or Shimano of the same era. Thus the SunTour shifters were a fair bit easier to shift with.

Cheers

Cougrrcj 08-27-20 05:28 PM

I've been using SunTour barcons since late '76. I had been riding a bike with stem shifters previously, and I felt awkward reaching down to the downtube to shift when I bought my S-10S new in Oct '76. My college roommate had SunTour barcons on his Viscount and I thought that those were even better!! They've been on my Fuji since then as my only bike until the BF.net enablers got to me.

Nothing wrong with the barcons, but since joining BF I got newer bikes!!! Now all of my other road-ridden bike have them because that's what I'm used to - and comfortable with! Two are double crank, and two are triples, all wear six-speed freewheels!!! Yeah, my newest road-ridden bike is already close to 35 years old. So what? I like it - and am still riding, and that is all that matters!!!!

randyjawa 08-27-20 05:55 PM

The only bar end shifter I have used are the tried and true Suntour Power shifters, Suntour Accushift shifters, Simplex bar ends and, of course, Campagnolo.

No other Barcon (bar end shifter) has impressed me as much as the Suntour Accusshift. Because the system works so good on my Jamaica Bianchi, I bought a second used set (from a forum member and thanks) to install on my Rocky Mountain...
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...98b6554860.jpg

USAZorro 08-27-20 06:12 PM

Honestly, unless you get a set that either doesn't have the ability to pull the derailleur far enough, or get something that's indexed only and doesn't match the indexing on your freewheel or cassette, I don't think you'll have regrets no matter which make you get. I first experienced them in 1978, and they've been favorites ever since. About 1/2 of my small fleet have them. Some Sun Tour, some Shimano.

Kabuki12 08-28-20 06:46 AM

My 1973 Mondia came with Campagnolo Bar end shifters and they are OK . I prefer down tube only because that is what I have ridden for over 45 years. My daughter loves the Suntour Power Bar End Shifters that came on her Raleigh Super Grand Prix. I have an identical set in my parts bin waiting for a bike , then I can compare with the Campagnolo. I like the ratcheting on the SunTour , the Campy ones don't have that.

John E 08-28-20 11:27 AM

I am using SunTour barcons on a 2x6 setup on my Peugeot, and I am delighted with them. My other road bikes have Campag. downtube levers, and my mountain bike has SunTour XC ratcheting thumb shifters, which I run in non-index mode. I did recently wear out the ratchet mechanism of a front shifter, but in other respects I am a happy camper.

gugie 08-28-20 02:10 PM

Here's a trick: if you're knees tend to hit the bar end shifters when you stand and climb, cut the bars down a bit. I've never ridden drop bars where I needed that extra 1-2" when riding in the drops, and the bar end fixed bit extends them about about an inch anyways.

etherhuffer 08-29-20 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by gugie (Post 21666235)
Here's a trick: if you're knees tend to hit the bar end shifters when you stand and climb, cut the bars down a bit. I've never ridden drop bars where I needed that extra 1-2" when riding in the drops, and the bar end fixed bit extends them about about an inch anyways.

Good idea. I have Silver shifters and predictable bruises where they spear my legs

Cougrrcj 08-29-20 07:28 AM

I guess that's why I prefer to ride a 'too large' frame - I've never hit my knees on the barcons in almost 45 years...

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f1d38e6722.jpg

nlerner 08-29-20 07:34 AM

I just set a bike up with a Deerhead RD, 8-speed cassette, and 8-speed Shimano bar-ends in friction mode. They shift like buttah'.

rosefarts 08-29-20 07:52 AM

My bar end bike is a pretty aggressive gravel type thing. I'll occasionally hit my knee on slow and technical rutted stuff. This is a great idea. I might try it.

bikemig 08-29-20 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by randyjawa (Post 21664723)
The only bar end shifter I have used are the tried and true Suntour Power shifters, Suntour Accushift shifters, Simplex bar ends and, of course, Campagnolo.

No other Barcon (bar end shifter) has impressed me as much as the Suntour Accusshift. Because the system works so good on my Jamaica Bianchi, I bought a second used set (from a forum member and thanks) to install on my Rocky Mountain...
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...98b6554860.jpg

I"m curious do you run these on index or friction? Do they even have a friction option? I'm curious as I find that with suntour indexing, sometimes it works great and sometimes it doesn't.

Steel Charlie 08-29-20 10:04 AM

I've tried barcons a few times over the years, doubles triples solos tandems, and have always thot that sux goat balls. But my brother likes them - go figger. I have considered stem shifters a couple times in recent years but downtube shifters still make it for me in my late 70's.
JMO of course

Gaff 09-22-20 10:29 AM

I want to thank everyone for their input. I installed the Suntour bar ends. Never road with anything like them before and though it took a little getting used to, I like how they feel and work. Now to get some riding in.

Thanks again.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...44239b26a.jpeg

due ruote 09-22-20 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by bikemig (Post 21667185)
I"m curious do you run these on index or friction? Do they even have a friction option? I'm curious as I find that with suntour indexing, sometimes it works great and sometimes it doesn't.

The Accushift we have on our tandem (7 sp) are index or friction. They are working great right now in index mode with a Suntour fw. With other freewheels they worked less well, but of course in friction mode they were fine.

randyjawa 09-22-20 12:14 PM

I always run the shifters in indexed position and love the precision of the shifts. The non-drive side is friction only.