Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Litespeed Classic with Shimano Conversion? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=205552)

markwebb 06-23-06 07:24 AM

Litespeed Classic with Shimano Conversion?

My little sis (well, she's only about 90 pounds but 40+years old) found what looked like a great deal on eBay and bought it last nite. Litespeed Classic NOS (well, guy built it but never really used it). Built with new Campy Record 10 speed group, Bontrager Race Lite wheelset, FSA compact (we think compact) carbon cranks. $1,500 Buy t Now.The new group plus wheels would cost well over $2,000 alone. It's a 53, but those have a 30 inch standover so that should be OK - she's 5'6" with a 31" inseam/standover with her shoes on. Seller had 200+ feedbacks and 100% positive, so risk mitigated. Hopefully she'll receive it next week and she can test it out.

But - we did not know what seller meant when he said wheels were Shimano compatible and he used an American Classic conversion. Group except cranks are new Campy Record 10 speed. Maybe a Shimano rear cassette with some sort of American Classic ?? I dunno - anybody out there know what he might have meant?

55/Rad 06-23-06 07:29 AM

The wheels have Shimano hubs and use an American Classic conversion cassette to work with the Campy drivetrain. Essentially, it's a Shimano splined cassette with Campy spacing.

If that bike is everything you say it is, it sounds like a great deal.

55/Rad

Mo'Phat 06-23-06 07:32 AM

Check it:

http://www.amclassic.com/Cassettes.html

Midway down the page.

Mo'Phat 06-23-06 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by 55/Rad
If that bike is everything you say it is, it sounds like a great deal.

+1 - good score. jerk. ;)

Mo'Phat 06-23-06 07:35 AM

Is This the auction? That crank looks like a standard. I think I can make out 130bcd, which means it's not a compact crank.

I'll leave you alone now.

cuda2k 06-23-06 07:39 AM

That is a great deal! And Mo'Phat is right, crank looks standard 130bcd. In any case, serious jealous!

55/Rad 06-23-06 07:39 AM

Dude - I checked out that completed auction - that is a freakin' steal. I pride myself on buying used bikes and gear and I can tell you I would have jumped all over that bike at $1500 - wrong size and all.

Don't believe me? Check out the completed listings for the same bike - other versions with 105 or Ultegra and lesser wheels sold for the same or more. And they aren't in as nice of shape.

Good job.

55/Rad

smcphc 06-23-06 08:07 AM

Yeah, I saw that last night, took a step back to think about it. Took a nice long shower and decided it would be stupid not to buy it at that price. Went back and it was taken :(

He who hesitates...

Scott

'lil' webb sis 06-23-06 09:14 AM

My bike

Yep, this is my new bike I purchased on advice of my bro- he is much more of a tech geek then me so nice to know he did a good job shopping for me! I just get on and ride, competing with him every weekend on hill climbs! I can't wait to ride this and feel the difference!

14max 06-23-06 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by 'lil' webb sis
(H)e did a good job shopping for me!

You did VERY well. Titanium and Campy Record...unbelievable. Tell him to get those cables squared away, get yourself a nice set of pedals, then beat him on the climbs. Nice score...

markwebb 06-23-06 03:44 PM

She already beats me up 9 of 10 hills pushing gears I can only imagine using - of course she is 70 pounds lighter than me and she runs marathons, too. Now she will have a Litespeed titanium ride with Record carbon 10 speed group. It will be ugly this year.

fsor 06-23-06 05:03 PM

I think that she will love that bike. IMHO that classic has the best all around geometry. I sure paid a lot (!) more for mine. I can spend long days on it but it is still a hoot in the twisties. Very nice!

Bob S. 06-23-06 09:07 PM

Heck of a buy. Congratulations.

Talewinds 06-23-06 09:56 PM

I spotted that one too, that's an awesome deal! I have that FSA crank too that I picked up on Ebay a while back, but the one pictured is only the second one I've seen like it, and it's been great so far.

markwebb 06-24-06 12:35 PM

She's going to evaluate her performance with those cranks - but we have some hills around these parts and she may need a compact crank with a 34 or 36 on it.

TheBikePeddler 06-06-10 05:36 PM

Better late than never.... you got a Great deal, if you ever choose to go with a set of Campy wheels to match the drive train, keep me in mind, can set you up with a great deal. Regardless, the Bontragers are a great wheelset. If you ever need any components take a look at my website.

HigherGround 06-06-10 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by TheBikePeddler (Post 10921742)
Better late than never.... you got a Great deal, if you ever choose to go with a set of Campy wheels to match the drive train, keep me in mind, can set you up with a great deal. Regardless, the Bontragers are a great wheelset. If you ever need any components take a look at my website.

Considering that the recipient of the bike has made only 1 post on Bike Forums, and that was 4 years ago, the chances of her seeing this are very slim. However, this forum may be of interest to you.