Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

MoAlpha 06-22-20 01:16 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21547600)
I was calling you an old man. Magazines...

Hah! Right. I wonder what's in there now.

datlas 06-22-20 02:41 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21547756)
Hah! Right. I wonder what's in there now.

High speed internet, no doubt.

big john 06-22-20 02:58 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21547581)
In the specimen production room. I forget which one begat my offspring. :innocent:

Ever see the Aprilia (Italian motorcycle) commercial? The man is unsuccessful at giving a specimen after trying multiple media and is leaving in frustration when he notices a magazine opened to an ad for Aprilia and his eyes get wide and he smiles and heads for the production room.

MoAlpha 06-22-20 03:02 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 21547990)
Ever see the Aprilia (Italian motorcycle) commercial? The man is unsuccessful at giving a specimen after trying multiple media and is leaving in frustration when he notices a magazine opened to an ad for Aprilia and his eyes get wide and he smiles and heads for the production room.

No. That's pretty funny.

Found it. NSFW, I suppose.


Love the big tumbler. ...uhh, means a glass.

kissTheApex 06-22-20 03:14 PM


Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21546421)
nail polish.

:thumb: I keep forgetting to order a clear nail polish with every amazon order. Better do it right now before I forget.

kissTheApex 06-22-20 03:27 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21546181)
Indeed. Too askeered to have mrs datlas do it. Barbers allowed to reopen here on Friday at 50% capacity so I hope to remedy the issue soon.

Ahem.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Makes it a ďless than 10 minutesĒ job. ;)

kissTheApex 06-22-20 03:48 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21546551)
Thatís the S1. Trainer rat, whenever my trainer is back. At least then Iíd have been able to do an indoor session.

Itís getting repaired then? No Neo 2T?

Ramona_W 06-22-20 03:52 PM

Speaking of fingers, it's been thirteen years since the original video. What the hell?

Ramona_W 06-22-20 03:53 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21547532)
Played for the Dodgers Back in the 80s!

It's true. LoP has a book about him.

Ramona_W 06-22-20 03:57 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21547358)
We went through a couple of years of infertility treatment before we got our daughter started. You should have seen those magazines!

Do they have magazines for those on the "other team" who are helping out female friends?

MoAlpha 06-22-20 04:06 PM


Originally Posted by Ramona_W (Post 21548115)
Do they have magazines for those on the "other team" who are helping out female friends?

I didn't see any, but this was in the late 80s/early 90s, perhaps before the custom of the other team helping out was as widely recognized as it is today. If there were such, I expect a certain number of men partnered to women would avail themselves of them too, in the privacy of what big john so felicitously calls "the production room." Gotta love that. :lol:

Ramona_W 06-22-20 04:25 PM

I have a question and I'm especially aiming it at people in the medical type fields but I'd like to hear from whomever wants to add their .02 and if it gets moved to P&R that's fine too. I've been in there before and had some fun so I'm not scared.

I'm taking a Gender and Society class and we're up to discussing the gender-wage gap. (We're just talking about men and women and not about intersectionality which I think is a shame but I don't run the circus.) The Current Population survey on the BLS.gov website shows lots of different occupations and how many women and how many men are in them and the median weekly wage for each gender. There are like three occupations in which women earn more per week than men. (Sex worker is not on the list of occupations.) I expected that men would make more because of how the statistics are usually presented but a few of the jobs with gaps surprised me. Male cashiers earn $11 more per week. LoP suggested maybe they worked in casinos and that's why which makes some sense. Male RNs earn $39 more per week. But don't they all have about the same education and job duties and that isn't enough difference to suggest it's because of a scarcity of talent so what? I read in a few places that men are more likely to work at an in-patient facility, they're more often in urban rather than rural areas, and they negotiate their wages rather than taking what's offered. Do you think this is true? What about other jobs in the medical field? Are male cashiers also negotiating a better deal?

Velo Vol 06-22-20 04:46 PM

Oh.


https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...402ce189d3.png

MoAlpha 06-22-20 04:48 PM


Originally Posted by Ramona_W (Post 21548171)
I have a question and I'm especially aiming it at people in the medical type fields but I'd like to hear from whomever wants to add their .02 and if it gets moved to P&R that's fine too. I've been in there before and had some fun so I'm not scared.

I'm taking a Gender and Society class and we're up to discussing the gender-wage gap. (We're just talking about men and women and not about intersectionality which I think is a shame but I don't run the circus.) The Current Population survey on the BLS.gov website shows lots of different occupations and how many women and how many men are in them and the median weekly wage for each gender. There are like three occupations in which women earn more per week than men. (Sex worker is not on the list of occupations.) I expected that men would make more because of how the statistics are usually presented but a few of the jobs with gaps surprised me. Male cashiers earn $11 more per week. LoP suggested maybe they worked in casinos and that's why which makes some sense. Male RNs earn $39 more per week. But don't they all have about the same education and job duties and that isn't enough difference to suggest it's because of a scarcity of talent so what? I read in a few places that men are more likely to work at an in-patient facility, they're more often in urban rather than rural areas, and they negotiate their wages rather than taking what's offered. Do you think this is true? What about other jobs in the medical field? Are male cashiers also negotiating a better deal?

Could all be true; I don't know. However, I would also say that RNs actually have a huge job range from floor nurse, to nurse supervisor, to hospital or health plan administrator. Not knowing how the RN category your data came from was defined, I would guess that many of the forces which keep women in the lower ranks of the corporate, academic, and other worlds could operate there too.

Women physicians tend to be paid less than men and this has mostly to do with how they segregate by specialty, hours required for dependent care. In academic medicine, where I live, we have successful competition for initial research grant support prohibitively difficult for people with primary child care responsibilities. This causes many women in the prime of promising careers to wash out into clinical practice, which is often less remunerative in the long run than research.

Ramona_W 06-22-20 05:27 PM

I wondered if it's also because men and women go into the field for different reasons. Not to say that men aren't interested in helping people but women seem to be more likely to take socially relevant but as you say "less remunerative" positions such as working in an inner-city clinic or they might be at a school because their kids go there. We saw something similar when we looked at a study of female attorneys in private practice. Women made less money because they had fewer billable hours because they were involved in more pro bono cases. This is leaving aside the women who are working reduced hours or turning down overtime due to child care concerns or a desire to have more balance between work and friends, family, etc. It wonder if the medical wage gap maintains across so-called racial lines as well.

Oh my goodness. I've only been back a day and I'm already so far off topic. I guess I should try to think of something bike related to post.

Velo Vol 06-22-20 05:35 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21547235)
I would be really careful with trying to identify "good" doctors. How patients and even colleagues judge competence is often based on communication/bedside manner.

I know some absolutely terrible physicians who are really quacks but they have very good empathy and/or bedside manner. Patients LOVE them.

I don't know how to find good doctors. Where I have needed them the most, I've been at the mercy of the system--primary care referring witch doctors.

I don't particularly care about the doctor's attitude. However, several years ago, it was probably bedside manner that was the final straw with one.

I was on the fence for a few reasons about him. Treatment wasn't going particularly great, I had to drive to another town, there was rarely any other patients waiting when I was there (wut).

On I think my last appointment there, I asked him why he thought I had rheumatoid arthritis, as in spell it out (there's no test--it's to some extent a judgement call after eliminating other things).

In my opinion he got unnecessarily bent out of shape and said, "If you think this is @#%ing Lyme disease or something else, you can go see someone else."

So ultimately that's what I did. (though not for that reason).

Bah Humbug 06-22-20 05:55 PM


Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21548078)
Itís getting repaired then? No Neo 2T?

Saris sent the LBS a belt. First time around they sent the WRONG belt, but the right one is en route and probably there tomorrow. S1 is ready to go but I'll pick them up at the same time.

In the end I decided I'd save the $400 if I needed a new trainer anyway, and go with the H3. But hopefully I can just push that off for a while.

Velo Vol 06-22-20 06:04 PM


Originally Posted by Ramona_W (Post 21548171)
Male cashiers earn $11 more per week. LoP suggested maybe they worked in casinos and that's why which makes some sense.

I don't think that, nationwide, male cashiers earn more because of casinos. LOL

You got to dig down into the stats of each occupation, but I assume in your class they have discussed the usual reasons (discrimination, males being more flexible with their schedules, more males work full time, females take breaks in their careers, etc.).

Bah Humbug 06-22-20 06:05 PM


Originally Posted by Ramona_W (Post 21548279)
I wondered if it's also because men and women go into the field for different reasons. Not to say that men aren't interested in helping people but women seem to be more likely to take socially relevant but as you say "less remunerative" positions such as working in an inner-city clinic or they might be at a school because their kids go there. We saw something similar when we looked at a study of female attorneys in private practice. Women made less money because they had fewer billable hours because they were involved in more pro bono cases. This is leaving aside the women who are working reduced hours or turning down overtime due to child care concerns or a desire to have more balance between work and friends, family, etc. It wonder if the medical wage gap maintains across so-called racial lines as well.

Oh my goodness. I've only been back a day and I'm already so far off topic. I guess I should try to think of something bike related to post.

Bike content is the least on-topic here.

And you're right. If I wanted to help people, I certainly wouldn't be doing my current job, which has done wonders for my life but is utterly soul-sucking.

In fairness, I am stunningly unsuited to the helping people sorts of jobs. What with people almost universally driving me up the wall until I break down.

big john 06-22-20 06:09 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21548294)
I don't know how to find good doctors. Where I have needed them the most, I've been at the mercy of the system--primary care referring witch doctors.

I don't particularly care about the doctor's attitude. However, several years ago, it was probably bedside manner that was the final straw with one.

I was on the fence for a few reasons about him. Treatment wasn't going particularly great, I had to drive to another town, there was rarely any other patients waiting when I was there (wut).

On I think my last appointment there, I asked him why he thought I had rheumatoid arthritis, as in spell it out (there's no test--it's to some extent a judgement call after eliminating other things).

In my opinion he got unnecessarily bent out of shape and said, "If you think this is @#%ing Lyme disease or something else, you can go see someone else."

So ultimately that's what I did. (though not for that reason).

It's tough. Mrs John is looking for a new doc right now due to a change in insurance. She has a list of hundreds of names and that's it. How do you pick when you know nothing of the doctor?
For years I had a GP who I was happy with. He would listen and seemed to care, then he got tired of the HMO and quit. I was reassigned to a different doc in the same office. Only saw him once and usually ended up with a woman doc who took his overflow. Then he quit and I was assigned to another new doc and I needed to see him but they told me I couldn't see him for 3 months since I was a new patient. They let me change my PCP to the woman doc I had seen before and she has been pretty good so far.

Bah Humbug 06-22-20 06:15 PM


Originally Posted by Ramona_W (Post 21548171)
I have a question and I'm especially aiming it at people in the medical type fields but I'd like to hear from whomever wants to add their .02 and if it gets moved to P&R that's fine too. I've been in there before and had some fun so I'm not scared.

I'm taking a Gender and Society class and we're up to discussing the gender-wage gap. (We're just talking about men and women and not about intersectionality which I think is a shame but I don't run the circus.) The Current Population survey on the BLS.gov website shows lots of different occupations and how many women and how many men are in them and the median weekly wage for each gender. There are like three occupations in which women earn more per week than men. (Sex worker is not on the list of occupations.) I expected that men would make more because of how the statistics are usually presented but a few of the jobs with gaps surprised me. Male cashiers earn $11 more per week. LoP suggested maybe they worked in casinos and that's why which makes some sense. Male RNs earn $39 more per week. But don't they all have about the same education and job duties and that isn't enough difference to suggest it's because of a scarcity of talent so what? I read in a few places that men are more likely to work at an in-patient facility, they're more often in urban rather than rural areas, and they negotiate their wages rather than taking what's offered. Do you think this is true? What about other jobs in the medical field? Are male cashiers also negotiating a better deal?

For what it's worth, my anecdotal situation is funny. AG makes a bunch more than me (all in, maybe 50% more) with four fewer years of experience (electrical engineering vs software QA, and British companies apparently pay stupid more). However, against my QA peers, I probably make more than many; I negotiated my first salary to $50k from $45k... under the advice of my mother. That $5k has been multiplied by every raise I've gotten. However, since going to dev, I probably make a pile less than my peers, many of whom are female (and one was actually the unicorn black female developer!).

For intersectional people, the statistics are probably too hard to get an adequate sample, and would be dire if we did.

indyfabz 06-22-20 06:17 PM

Just learned that the 17 year old son of a couple I have known for a long time through the Philly bike club was hit by a car and killed the other day. He had just graduated high school and was a member of the schoolís MTB team. I canít imagine what his parents are experiencing.

Bah Humbug 06-22-20 06:20 PM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21548354)
Just learned that the 17 year old son of a couple I have known for a long time through the Philly bike club was hit by a car and killed the other day. He had just graduated high school and was a member of the schoolís MTB team. I canít imagine what his parents are experiencing.

Oh man. Condolences all around. That is horrible. :hug:

Velo Vol 06-22-20 06:24 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 21548344)
It's tough. Mrs John is looking for a new doc right now due to a change in insurance. She has a list of hundreds of names and that's it. How do you pick when you know nothing of the doctor?

Is she looking for primary care or a specialist? If the latter she could ask her primary care who they've had good results from.
I got reassigned to my current witch doctor when my old one moved away. :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21548354)
Just learned that the 17 year old son of a couple I have known for a long time through the Philly bike club was hit by a car and killed the other day. He had just graduated high school and was a member of the schoolís MTB team. I canít imagine what his parents are experiencing.

Terrible.

Velo Vol 06-22-20 06:24 PM

Either the sourdough or the knifing should get someone here hot and bothered.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:30 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.