Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254494)

big john 08-07-22 12:24 PM


Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22601822)
I'm not sure what happened since I'm not a sailor, but it sounds like you're being too hard on yourself.


Trsnrtr 08-07-22 12:47 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22601674)
Good ride. Humid as can be, so humid that sweating is minimally effective and I was drenched for much of the ride.

One rider had his Red Etap FD break (looks like cage got twisted?) so he had to get a ride home. Otherwise 100% fun.

Thatís big $$$ as Iím sure he is finding out as he scours the internet for a replacement. :(

genejockey 08-07-22 12:58 PM

I had to abort today's ride. 20 miles in, I remembered that, when getting ready to ride, I had put sunscreen on my arms and legs, then had to go to the bathroom. Then I got dressed and headed out.

I FORGOT TO PUT SUNSCREEN ON MY NECK, EARS, AND FACE!!!!!

And it's August! Not peak UV, but still pretty high! So I got home as quickly as I could. I suppose I could have bought one of those little squeazy tubes of sunscreen at a store, but am I going to leave the Litespeed outside a store to be stolen? HELL NO!!!! So, 32 miles. I suppose that, with yesterday's ~28 that's not too bad for a weekend. Less than I wanted, though. :cry:

But at least now Rango will get his walk.

MoAlpha 08-07-22 01:10 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22601586)
I believe "jury-rigged" is the same category of thing as "cut the mustard" (instead of muster, as is correct) that sounds close but is not the real saying. Unless we're discussing an actual jury.

ďJury rigĒ is an old nautical term. Some say from Middle English, according to Google.

MoAlpha 08-07-22 01:12 PM


Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22601822)
I'm not sure what happened since I'm not a sailor, but it sounds like you're being too hard on yourself.

Hard to say. Hard to sayÖ

big john 08-07-22 01:18 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22601898)
I had to abort today's ride. 20 miles in, I remembered that, when getting ready to ride, I had put sunscreen on my arms and legs, then had to go to the bathroom. Then I got dressed and headed out.

I FORGOT TO PUT SUNSCREEN ON MY NECK, EARS, AND FACE!!!!!

And it's August! Not peak UV, but still pretty high! So I got home as quickly as I could. I suppose I could have bought one of those little squeazy tubes of sunscreen at a store, but am I going to leave the Litespeed outside a store to be stolen? HELL NO!!!! So, 32 miles. I suppose that, with yesterday's ~28 that's not too bad for a weekend. Less than I wanted, though. :cry:

But at least now Rango will get his walk.

I always carry a little plastic bottle of sunscreen. Sometimes I really need it and I let others use it, too. My nose peels if I neglect it and my other skin is starting to look like a barbequed potato chip.

Mojo31 08-07-22 01:37 PM


Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22601822)
I'm not sure what happened since I'm not a sailor, but it sounds like you're being too hard on yourself.

What happened is that he just cost himself some serious money. Since he cut the sheet, heíll have to replace it most likely. Which means heíll have to buy two since you want the port and starboard sheets to be the same. His genoa sheets are likely 60 to 70í each, so call it 140í. So, about $200 to $500 depending on the line and end finishing.

DougRNS 08-07-22 01:55 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22601950)
What happened is that he just cost himself some serious money. Since he cut the sheet, heíll have to replace it most likely. Which means heíll have to buy two since you want the port and starboard sheets to be the same. His genoa sheets are likely 60 to 70í each, so call it 140í. So, about $200 to $500 depending on the line and end finishing.

can't he pee on it, frame it and call it "Angst" and sell it at an Art boutique for $5,000
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0186200930.jpg

indyfabz 08-07-22 03:19 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22601635)
Nah. I have a clear-cut rain policy - I'll leave home under the threat of rain, but I won't leave home if it is raining.

Same here. What I really hate is having to start a day on tour in the rain. Donít mind rain nearly as much if Iím already on the road, but starting out in it sucks.

indyfabz 08-07-22 03:23 PM

Speaking of the weather, the heat is supposed to break late next week. I see a metric century to a campground in south Jersey in my future next Saturday then up the coast to AC for a train ride back to the city Sunday.

genejockey 08-07-22 03:26 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22601934)
I always carry a little plastic bottle of sunscreen. Sometimes I really need it and I let others use it, too. My nose peels if I neglect it and my other skin is starting to look like a barbequed potato chip.

Yeah, I've been thinking I should probably do that. 3 hours is probably okay on one application, but my Sunday rides have been getting longer Maybe when I stop for nourishment at the halfway point I should be reapplying sunscreen, especially to the neck/ears/face.

big john 08-07-22 03:47 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22602076)
Yeah, I've been thinking I should probably do that. 3 hours is probably okay on one application, but my Sunday rides have been getting longer Maybe when I stop for nourishment at the halfway point I should be reapplying sunscreen, especially to the neck/ears/face.

I had one bottle, maybe 3 ozs, that I got from the Mrs. I don't remember what was in it originally but it didn't take up much space in my seatpack. After a few years it cracked and everything in the seatpack was covered in sunscreen. She gave me another bottle that's a little bigger, still easy to carry and I just refill it from a big bottle.

One of my friends carries a thing like a chapstick, only bigger, that is sunscreen. She is very fair skinned and needs to be vigilant.

genejockey 08-07-22 03:51 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22602109)
I had one bottle, maybe 3 ozs, that I got from the Mrs. I don't remember what was in it originally but it didn't take up much space in my seatpack. After a few years it cracked and everything in the seatpack was covered in sunscreen. She gave me another bottle that's a little bigger, still easy to carry and I just refill it from a big bottle.

One of my friends carries a thing like a chapstick, only bigger, that is sunscreen. She is very fair skinned and needs to be vigilant.

I have the kind of skin that begins to bubble and smoke in direct sunlight, a gift from my ancestors from cold and foggy British Isles. I use sunscreen primarily to avoid catching fire.

big john 08-07-22 03:59 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22602115)
I have the kind of skin that begins to bubble and smoke in direct sunlight, a gift from my ancestors from cold and foggy British Isles. I use sunscreen primarily to avoid catching fire.

She's like that, too. She even uses sunscreen under her jersey. Lately she's been covering her lips while riding because they got burned. I knew this guy who constructed a cardboard shield for his nose and attached it to his sunglasses.

datlas 08-07-22 04:16 PM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22601884)
Thatís big $$$ as Iím sure he is finding out as he scours the internet for a replacement. :(

Itís new so we are hoping SRAM will warranty it.

indyfabz 08-07-22 05:08 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22602076)
Yeah, I've been thinking I should probably do that. 3 hours is probably okay on one application, but my Sunday rides have been getting longer Maybe when I stop for nourishment at the halfway point I should be reapplying sunscreen, especially to the neck/ears/face.

Neutrogena Ultrasheer Dry Touch 55 is what I take on tour. The small tube holds a lot and fits well in a jersey pocket. Costs more than bargain brands, but Iím worth it. I believe it comes in SPF 70 as well.

mschwett 08-07-22 05:45 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22601570)
Wordle 414 5/6

🟨⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟩⬛🟨🟨🟨
🟩⬛🟩🟩🟩
⬛⬛🟨⬛🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Wasn't going to get caught playing "what's that one letter?".

not with 3 or 4 possibilities for #2 on the fourth guess! smart move.

seedsbelize2 08-07-22 06:29 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22602127)
She's like that, too. She even uses sunscreen under her jersey. Lately she's been covering her lips while riding because they got burned. I knew this guy who constructed a cardboard shield for his nose and attached it to his sunglasses.

I like the cardboard shield. Would not pure zinc oxide work as well? That's what I use, when I use sunscreen.
My new jersey came with spf 50 protection. I don't know how long that might last

seedsbelize2 08-07-22 06:34 PM

Amazon sent me an email complaining about my two returns in the last six months. It had an accusatory tone to it. My Spanish improves significantly when I'm angry, and I fired right back. Vamos a ver.

seedsbelize2 08-07-22 06:37 PM

They fired right back that it was sent in an effort to improve their customer relations. Believe that? It was all very official.

seedsbelize2 08-07-22 06:44 PM

I suggested they offer me a gift card in penance for their accusatory tone. De nuevo, vamos a ver.

datlas 08-07-22 06:57 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22602303)
I suggested they offer me a gift card in penance for their accusatory tone. De nuevo, vamos a ver.

Buena suerte.

seedsbelize2 08-07-22 06:58 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22601498)
My starting word lends itself well towards today's Wordle.

Wordle 414 3/6

⬜🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

My starting word changes daily. Makes it less regimented. I seek out a five letter word in my first thoughts upon waking. And speaking of waking, I awoke this morning not knowing where I was--the dream was so real.

big john 08-07-22 07:03 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22602279)
I like the cardboard shield. Would not pure zinc oxide work as well? That's what I use, when I use sunscreen.
My new jersey came with spf 50 protection. I don't know how long that might last

I think zinc would be preferable to having a cardboard box over your schnoz. My friends who surfed used zinc oxide.

Bah Humbug 08-07-22 07:04 PM

Sad... I happened to find the power consumption of that TV. SDR 360w, HDR 520w. No effing way I'm running that outside of Alaska. Emailed about returning (hasn't been delivered yet) and back to the drawing board.

:mad:

genejockey 08-07-22 07:04 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22602321)
My starting word changes daily. Makes it less regimented. I seek out a five letter word in my first thoughts upon waking. And speaking of waking, I awoke this morning not knowing where I was--the dream was so real.

For me, it would probably be "urine", because "coffee" is 6 letters.

datlas 08-07-22 07:10 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22602329)
Sad... I happened to find the power consumption of that TV. SDR 360w, HDR 520w. No effing way I'm running that outside of Alaska. Emailed about returning (hasn't been delivered yet) and back to the drawing board.

:mad:

Must be below your FTP? :innocent:

Eric F 08-07-22 07:11 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22599675)
I've been signing up for challenges on Strava. Back in June I signed up for a LeCol challenge, and ended up with a $60 discount, so I used it to buy one of their Pro jerseys. I checked the size, and got an XL. It definitely qualifies for the "If it zips, it fits" category - it's snug! Like paint! On the bike it's not a problem, but when I got back on Sunday after wearing it for my long ride, I was sitting there feeling like maybe my breathing was constricted a little - then I unzipped it and it was fine! So, maybe just a bit small. Though, again, it felt fine on the bike. Definitely doesn't flap!

OTOH, Mrs. GeneJockey likes how I look in it, so I'm keeping it!

I used the July challenge discount to buy a long sleeve Pro jersey, but this one I bought in XXL. I figure a base layer might make the XL unzippable!

Did my time this weekend. Got my discount. Ordered a Pro II jersey in sage green. It will pair nicely with the grey bibs I have on the way from Neopro. If Le Col does these discounts on a regular basis, I expect to have more of their kit in my pile.

seedsbelize2 08-07-22 07:13 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22602329)
Sad... I happened to find the power consumption of that TV. SDR 360w, HDR 520w. No effing way I'm running that outside of Alaska. Emailed about returning (hasn't been delivered yet) and back to the drawing board.

:mad:

suerte

WhyFi 08-07-22 07:17 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22602329)
Sad... I happened to find the power consumption of that TV. SDR 360w, HDR 520w. No effing way I'm running that outside of Alaska. Emailed about returning (hasn't been delivered yet) and back to the drawing board.

:mad:

Damn.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:50 AM.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.