Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Totally Tubular (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=154679)

kcblair 08-08-20 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Classtime (Post 21630394)
They could be. Maybe somebody has a worn out one and can cut it open to see.

I took a look at the diagram on Tufo's website, and it doesn't mention an inner tube. Just a "Inside airtight layer is made of a special butyl-rubber compound"
KB

seedsbelize 08-08-20 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by kcblair (Post 21630549)
I took a look at the diagram on Tufo's website, and it doesn't mention an inner tube. Just a "Inside airtight layer is made of a special butyl-rubber compound"
KB

That was my understanding. Tufo is one piece construction. No inner tube. So a plug should work. I saw a video, long ago, which showed a guy using super glue to repair one.

pastorbobnlnh 08-09-20 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by kcblair (Post 21630214)
Thanks for the info. I thought there was no inner tube , in the Tufo tires, like a 1 piece construction . Oh well, I've got 2 spares , before I try something else. KB,

Take a look at this: https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-t.../11211219.html

Specifically looks as if it works with Tufos. I might go this route on my Tufo Tubular Clinchers

vinasity 08-09-20 08:08 PM

Hello All! I just came across my first bike with tubulars. The bike came with the original tires that are toast.... 30 yrs old.

The wheels are Ambrsio Synthesis from the late 80’s to my understanding the wheels are 22.5 wide.

Since this is my first encounter is it correct that i can fit 25-28 mm wide tires on these wheels?

i want to make sure before I buy the tires.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ffea5888f.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fd9199c19.jpeg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fc1f1bc5c.jpeg

DiabloScott 08-09-20 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by vinasity (Post 21632358)
Hello All!

Since this is my first encounter is it correct that i can fit 25-28 mm wide tires on these wheels?

yup.

vinasity 08-09-20 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by DiabloScott (Post 21632482)
yup.

Great!!! Thanks!

79pmooney 08-09-20 10:21 PM

To elaborate a little on DiabloScott's "Yup": widths make little difference for either rim or tire. Nobody thought twice about running the fat (30c) Del Mondos of 40- years ago on skinny racing rims.

That said, there are some newer tires with different construction that I've heard mount better on certain rims. But if you are running any of the classic tubulars and any rim remotely close to "normal" don't sweat it. Just do a good glue (or tape) job.

vinasity 08-09-20 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by 79pmooney (Post 21632503)
To elaborate a little on DiabloScott's "Yup": widths make little difference for either rim or tire. Nobody thought twice about running the fat (30c) Del Mondos of 40- years ago on skinny racing rims.

That said, there are some newer tires with different construction that I've heard mount better on certain rims. But if you are running any of the classic tubulars and any rim remotely close to "normal" don't sweat it. Just do a good glue (or tape) job.

Good to know! Thanks! I was surprised when i saw the tires and wanted get a better
understanding.

vinasity 08-09-20 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by 79pmooney (Post 21632503)

Good to know! Thanks! I was surprised when i saw the tires and wanted get a better
understanding.

CV-6 08-09-20 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh (Post 21632298)
Take a look at this: https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-t.../11211219.html

Specifically looks as if it works with Tufos. I might go this route on my Tufo Tubular Clinchers

This has to be used with CaffeLatex already in the tube. It will not work by itself.

pastorbobnlnh 08-10-20 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by CV-6 (Post 21632556)
This has to be used with CaffeLatex already in the tube. It will not work by itself.

Yes, I realized this and spotted it in the listing's specifications. I haven't added any sealant to my Tufo's yet and have both Tufo and CaffeLatex on hand.

While kcblair mentions he is running Stan's sealant, it might be worth the time researching to see if this product might work with Stan's and save his Tufo. At $10-15 it might be worth just trying.

kcblair 08-10-20 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh (Post 21632660)
Yes, I realized this and spotted it in the listing's specifications. I haven't added any sealant to my Tufo's yet and have both Tufo and CaffeLatex on hand.

While kcblair mentions he is running Stan's sealant, it might be worth the time researching to see if this product might work with Stan's and save his Tufo. At $10-15 it might be worth just trying.

Thanks Bob, Yes, I think it's worth a try, before I toss the the Tufo. KB

squirtdad 08-10-20 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh (Post 21632660)

just to note, in running sealant in tubed clinchers at high pressure (which is a non optimum set up) caffelatex has worked the best. It is my current go to for sealant. that Zot stuff look interesting I will need to order some

kcblair 08-10-20 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by squirtdad (Post 21633117)
just to note, in running sealant in tubed clinchers at high pressure (which is a non optimum set up) caffelatex has worked the best. It is my current go to for sealant. that Zot stuff look interesting I will need to order some

Thanks squirtdad, here's an idea. What if I would release the air, remove valve core, rotate stem to bottom, and squeeze out the Stans. Then add 60 'll. of caffelatex ?
All this with wheel of the bike and the punctured Tufo on the rim. KB

squirtdad 08-10-20 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by kcblair (Post 21633664)
Thanks squirtdad, here's an idea. What if I would release the air, remove valve core, rotate stem to bottom, and squeeze out the Stans. Then add 60 'll. of caffelatex ?
All this with wheel of the bike and the punctured Tufo on the rim. KB

can't hurt to try for sure. I think 30ml is what is called for a 700c tire.

squirtdad 08-14-20 03:40 PM

out of curiosity what are people doing for tire pressures?

I am a big guy (243) and have pretty much always gone to make pressure for the tire tubie or clincher

I am riding Vittoria Corsa Control in 30mm Max on side of the tire is 115 psi. I have been riding front a 110 and back at 115.

My LBS go to guy (brought the Miyata by for him to try) commented that a could go lower so today I tried 90 front and 100 rear. Ride was noticeably smoother and didn't feel slower

smontanaro 08-14-20 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by squirtdad (Post 21641399)
out of curiosity what are people doing for tire pressures?

I have Veloflex Vlaanderen (27mm) on my Griffon, the bike I've been riding most lately. I weigh 170-175. I've been running 55 front, 75 rear recently. That seems to be working well for me.

L134 08-15-20 07:13 AM

same tire (but now ProTour), same weight, about the same psi works well for me too. I pump front to 60 psi and rear to 5 bar and pump every 2-3 days.

Originally Posted by smontanaro (Post 21641649)
I have Veloflex Vlaanderen (27mm) on my Griffon, the bike I've been riding most lately. I weigh 170-175. I've been running 55 front, 75 rear recently. That seems to be working well for me.

Classtime 08-15-20 09:47 AM

My Vittoria Corsa in 23mm are usually at 90 and 85 and feel pretty smooth. My Vittoria Rallys in 25mm are harsher at that pressure but I usually ride them a little lower. I got a nasty sidewall cut on my rear Rally yesterday that resulted in a remarkably fast deflation on a descent. I hit the only rock in the road at the worst angle I guess. Vittoria base tape is a bear to get off and I'm dreading this repair.

79pmooney 08-15-20 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Classtime (Post 21642451)
My Vittoria Corsa in 23mm are usually at 90 and 85 and feel pretty smooth. My Vittoria Rallys in 25mm are harsher at that pressure but I usually ride them a little lower. I got a nasty sidewall cut on my rear Rally yesterday that resulted in a remarkably fast deflation on a descent. I hit the only rock in the road at the worst angle I guess. Vittoria base tape is a bear to get off and I'm dreading this repair.

i haven't gotten back into tubulars yet but it's happening. My current rims are my last clinchers. I've been riding the open Corsa G+ and plan to go G+ or 2.0 tubulars. Solidly glued base tape? Yeah! I'm too old to do any more crashes that are in any way preventable. A serious incentive for me to go back to tubulars is for the security in high speed deflations. I had a clincher blow and come off at <25 mph. Almost a top 5 crash in a long life of riding. Doing that at 40+. A recurring nightmare. A solid Tubasti glue job and secure base tape? That's the ticket to just stopping and changing the tire at any speed, A place where boring is really, really good.

So even the cheap Rally's have secure base tape. Thanks. Sounds like nothing has changed. The $15 Vittorias of the '70 I trained and club raced on were good, reliable tires and I went through a lot of them. (My 9-10,000 mile years, all on sewups. We never called them tubulars then.)

Ben

smontanaro 08-15-20 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by L134 (Post 21642249)
same tire (but now ProTour), same weight, about the same psi works well for me too. I pump front to 60 psi and rear to 5 bar and pump every 2-3 days.

If you only have to inflate every 2-3 days, does that imply the ProTour has a butyl inner tube? I inflate my Vlaanderen before every ride (known to have latex tubes). They lose 5-10psi in a day.

L134 08-15-20 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by smontanaro (Post 21642643)
If you only have to inflate every 2-3 days, does that imply the ProTour has a butyl inner tube? I inflate my Vlaanderen before every ride (known to have latex tubes). They lose 5-10psi in a day.

no, they have latex. I’ve just never been all that fond of pumping tires. If I’m going out for 10-15 miles on smooth roads I might skip the pumping. For a more substantial ride or ride on rough surfaces, then I will pump before each ride.

I was sort of suggesting my 60 today might be your 55 tomorrow.

CV-6 08-15-20 05:21 PM

Today riding FMB Paris-Roubaix 25mm at 85 front and rear. I weigh 225 lb. I know experts are recommending lower pressure for the front, but when you brake, your weight shifts forward.

rustystrings61 08-21-20 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by CV-6 (Post 21643062)
I know experts are recommending lower pressure for the front, but when you brake, your weight shifts forward.

Thank you for saying that. I have gone back to equal pressure front and rear because I wind up standing on the bike, which also shifts weight forward.

smontanaro 08-21-20 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by CV-6 (Post 21643062)
Today riding FMB Paris-Roubaix 25mm at 85 front and rear. I weigh 225 lb. I know experts are recommending lower pressure for the front, but when you brake, your weight shifts forward.

I'm not sure the front/rear differential is enough to cause problems, and most braking isn't of the panic stop variety. Seems to me that the softer "suspension" makes for more comfortable riding, especially over long distances.

Jan Heine is someone I think of as a tire pressure expert. In this post about braking, he said nothing about changing the way he approached tire pressures, so I presume he didn't deviate from his usual recommendations.