Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   First time using Bike Computer (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1206899)

MtSprinter 07-07-20 11:54 PM

First time using Bike Computer

I just bought Meilan m4 to monitor my laps and other like cadence, speed, etc.

Do you have any reviews on this item? Or any bike computer brand suggestions? (For future purposes)

Looking forward for your replies. I bought this item because it's cheap and somehow got good reviews (based on what I've read.)

blakcloud 07-08-20 02:14 AM

Since you already have this in your possession why don't you just use it?

If you still want suggestions for another brand Cat Eye has been in the bike computer business for over 30 years, so anything by them would be very good. I have two that are over 20 years old still working though I use a Garmin now. Lezyne also makes some bike computers that are well liked.

Germanrazor 07-08-20 04:22 AM

I have never heard of that brand. Maybe someone can chime in that has experience. Like the other poster stated.......just go ride and then interpret the data from the ride. Most cycling computers are easy to navigate and easy to interpret.

As far as suggestions.....I am a Garmin user myself. But there are Wahoo and Cateye that are also highly thought of. I have had a Cateye in the past and they are bullet proof. Not the most features like a Garmin but does about anything most cyclist need.

Good luck.

Steve B. 07-08-20 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by MtSprinter (Post 21575492)

Do you have any reviews on this item? Or any bike computer brand suggestions? (For future purposes)

Looking forward for your replies. I bought this item because it's cheap and somehow got good reviews (based on what I've read.)

Not sure where you saw good reviews, only reviews I've seen were on Amazon, where nearly everybody states a difficult time getting it operational as the manual is near useless. The rest of the comments seem to be mixed about inaccuracies for speed and distance, or seemingly OK. It's a cheap Chinese basic cycling computer. Cateye makes very reliable units as an alternative.

MtSprinter 07-08-20 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by blakcloud (Post 21575522)

If you still want suggestions for another brand Cat Eye has been in the bike computer business for over 30 years, so anything by them would be very good. I have two that are over 20 years old still working though I use a Garmin now. Lezyne also makes some bike computers that are well liked.

Thank you for the suggestions! :)

MtSprinter 07-08-20 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Germanrazor (Post 21575576)
I have never heard of that brand. Maybe someone can chime in that has experience. Like the other poster stated.......just go ride and then interpret the data from the ride. Most cycling computers are easy to navigate and easy to interpret.

As far as suggestions.....I am a Garmin user myself. But there are Wahoo and Cateye that are also highly thought of. I have had a Cateye in the past and they are bullet proof. Not the most features like a Garmin but does about anything most cyclist need.

Good luck.

Hi Sir, thanks for this thought. Will try to explore those brands in the future. Cateye is familiar.

MtSprinter 07-08-20 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Steve B. (Post 21575784)
Not sure where you saw good reviews, only reviews I've seen were on Amazon, where nearly everybody states a difficult time getting it operational as the manual is near useless. The rest of the comments seem to be mixed about inaccuracies for speed and distance, or seemingly OK. It's a cheap Chinese basic cycling computer. Cateye makes very reliable units as an alternative.

Thank you sir Steve! Next time, will try to have a budget for cateye.

Also, that's a nice signature of yours.

bampilot06 07-08-20 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by MtSprinter (Post 21575492)

I recently bought this. Works well, does exactly what I want it do. Only gripe when the magnet gets wet it gets erroneous information as far as cadence and speed goes, but wiping it off fixes the problem.

bampilot06 07-08-20 08:42 AM

If you need help setting it up shoot me a pm, the instructions are pretty useless and getting the tire size is confusing.

Jim from Boston 07-08-20 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Steve B. (Post 21575784)
Not sure where you saw good reviews, only reviews I've seen were on Amazon, where nearly everybody states a difficult time getting it operational as the manual is near useless.

The rest of the comments seem to be mixed about inaccuracies for speed and distance, or seemingly OK. It's a cheap Chinese basic cycling computer. Cateye makes very reliable units as an alternative.

I too like Cateye. I have had a few cycle computers, always with a cadence function. Some needed replacements, e.g. lost the unit when not securely mounted (my fault).

On my usual commute I have a 3.0 mile segment measured with an auto odometer. When I get a new computer, I always check out the settings on that segement, usually within about 0.02 miles of 3.0.

Germanrazor 07-08-20 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21575956)
If you need help setting it up shoot me a pm, the instructions are pretty useless and getting the tire size is confusing.

I knew a fine member here would not flame you and come to assist. Good luck and as always, there are still people willing to help.

sirjag 07-08-20 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 21575970)
I too like Cateye. I have had a few cycle computers, always with a cadence function. Some needed replacements, e.g. lost the unit when not securely mounted (my fault).

On my usual commute I have a 3.0 mile segment measured with an auto odometer. When I get a new computer, I always check out the settings on that segement, usually within about 0.02 miles of 3.0.

OMG Jim! This is the first post Ive ever seen you make that didnt confuse the hell out of me! Nice!

JAG

banerjek 07-08-20 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by blakcloud (Post 21575522)

Make that closer to 40 years, I had a Cateye with cadence in the early 80s

Battery life is nuts in their wired units -- I've gotten almost 10 years. My current computer is an Astrale 8, most similar model still available is the Strada.

Giant_Defy 10-02-22 04:47 PM

MtSprinter Hello friends, hello to everyone here in the forum. Back in 2020, there was a post in which you said that you bought a Bike commuter Meilan M4, please explain to me, how it works, are you satisfied ... is it correct, i.e. does it show correctly (average speed, cadence, heart rate) And most importantly, please tell me if the route I'm riding can be shared on Strava. In short, is it possible to upload a route to the Strava application through software from the Meilan M4 device itself? Please help my friend, thank you

Giant_Defy 10-02-22 04:49 PM

bampilot06 Hello friends, hello to everyone here in the forum. Back in 2020, there was a post in which you said that you bought a Bike commuter Meilan M4, please explain to me, how it works, are you satisfied ... is it correct, i.e. does it show correctly (average speed, cadence, heart rate) And most importantly, please tell me if the route I'm riding can be shared on Strava. In short, is it possible to upload a route to the Strava application through software from the Meilan M4 device itself? Please help my friend, thank you

Giant_Defy 10-05-22 03:01 PM

MtSprinter Hello friends, hello to everyone here in the forum. Back in 2020, there was a post in which you said that you bought a Bike commuter Meilan M4, please explain to me, how it works, are you satisfied ... is it correct, i.e. does it show correctly (average speed, cadence, heart rate) And most importantly, please tell me if the route I'm riding can be shared on Strava. In short, is it possible to upload a route to the Strava application through software from the Meilan M4 device itself? Please help my friend, thank you

Giant_Defy 10-05-22 03:03 PM

bampilot06 Hello friends, hello to everyone here in the forum. Back in 2020, there was a post in which you said that you bought a Bike commuter Meilan M4, please explain to me, how it works, are you satisfied ... is it correct, i.e. does it show correctly (average speed, cadence, heart rate) And most importantly, please tell me if the route I'm riding can be shared on Strava. In short, is it possible to upload a route to the Strava application through software from the Meilan M4 device itself? Please help my friend, thank you

Giant_Defy 10-07-22 02:18 PM

Giant_Defy 10-07-22 02:18 PM

bampilot06
Hello friends, hello to everyone here in the forum. Back in 2020, there was a post in which you said that you bought a Bike commuter Meilan M4, please explain to me, how it works, are you satisfied ... is it correct, i.e. does it show correctly (average speed, cadence, heart rate) And most importantly, please tell me if the route I'm riding can be shared on Strava. In short, is it possible to upload a route to the Strava application through software from the Meilan M4 device itself? Please help my friend, thank you.

indyfabz 10-07-22 04:00 PM

:rolleyes:

alcjphil 10-07-22 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Giant_Defy (Post 22671802)
bampilot06
Hello friends, hello to everyone here in the forum. Back in 2020, there was a post in which you said that you bought a Bike commuter Meilan M4, please explain to me, how it works, are you satisfied ... is it correct, i.e. does it show correctly (average speed, cadence, heart rate) And most importantly, please tell me if the route I'm riding can be shared on Strava. In short, is it possible to upload a route to the Strava application through software from the Meilan M4 device itself? Please help my friend, thank you.

WTF! Replying with the same post multiple times is not the way to get useful information. Unless your bike computer is GPS enabled you cannot upload useful information to Strava

Polaris OBark 10-07-22 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22671907)
:rolleyes:

This is quite possibly the weirdest thing I have seen on bikeforums.

At least this week.