Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   BMX (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Can't figure out which bike to buy? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=413410)

ChristAir 05-04-08 11:46 PM

Those parts aren't pic or named. I hate it when they do that.

NJ Jersey Fresh 05-05-08 02:15 AM

is there a lighter set of bars i can get to take some weight off the front end??? or anything else i can do... the forks are already chromo

Street rider 05-05-08 11:36 AM

there are tons of new pairs of bars that arre all really light. even the really big/wide ones. and the most youll have to pay for new bars is gonna be like $60-$65.

ChristAir 05-05-08 11:41 AM

Do you meant the least? Bars can go well over a hundred.

ChristAir 05-05-08 12:38 PM

Sorry, I was looking at Dans and I realized you can get a good set of bars for around 50-60. Sweet.

wethepeople 05-05-08 04:37 PM

Just get used to the TT length, it'll probably only take a few days. Then it won't feel heavy at all.

NJ Jersey Fresh 05-05-08 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by wethepeople (Post 6641558)
Just get used to the TT length, it'll probably only take a few days. Then it won't feel heavy at all.

Im loving this bike... the balance point is alot lower manuals seem easier... and i can hop higher then i ever could b4... i wanna go ride now but my wrists are still killing me...

ChristAir 05-05-08 08:22 PM

Glad you like it.

ChristAir 05-05-08 08:25 PM

Did you do anything different with the seatpost?

NJ Jersey Fresh 05-05-08 08:33 PM

put it up a little bit.. right now im trying to get a brake set up together... but i think i might need like a dirt harry lever or something the grips go down on the bars kinda far im not sure if they had been cut down... can someone take a look and recommend a lever?? will i be able to get away with a standard lever

ChristAir 05-05-08 08:37 PM

Yeah, you'd be better off getting a bent lever (good choice with Dirt Harry) unless you want to cut your grips. You could change out to shorter grips and a standard lever as well.

NJ Jersey Fresh 05-05-08 08:39 PM

It also makes some creaks and squeeks when im pedaling any idea where to look... Is it even a big deal... chain clicks once in awhile...

ChristAir 05-05-08 08:43 PM

I hated that when it happened to me. Take the crank arms off, wipe away any gunk, and put them back on. That's what I did (my cranks were loose). As far as the chain clicking, is your chainring straight, even a slight warp can cause clicking which means your chain could pop off. Try the crank thing and tell me what happens.

Framptonlive 05-10-08 10:15 PM

so i'm thinking about buying my first bmx bike soon

i'm probably going to be using it for flatlanding, and i was wondering what a good bike would be

i'm 6'1 and 270 pounds

i've looked at the haro f series, but i thought i would ask some experienced riders

seanb6673 05-10-08 10:20 PM

sweet bike shes clean and straight for the price not a bad deal

NJ Jersey Fresh 05-11-08 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by seanb6673 (Post 6672791)
sweet bike shes clean and straight for the price not a bad deal

frame is a little chipped up not sure if im just gonna leave it or paint it or send it out for powder

NJ Jersey Fresh 05-11-08 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Framptonlive (Post 6672768)
so i'm thinking about buying my first bmx bike soon

i'm probably going to be using it for flatlanding, and i was wondering what a good bike would be

i'm 6'1 and 270 pounds

i've looked at the haro f series, but i thought i would ask some experienced riders

not sure if it would hold your weight.

Framptonlive 05-11-08 08:34 PM

yeah......... well, i rode my friends haro f2 around all day yesterday, so i think i'll be ok

i was wondering if there was a sturdier bike though, maybe the SR20 xl

ChristAir 05-11-08 09:36 PM

F series should be okay.

gresam 05-14-08 06:34 AM

A little history first: I got back in to riding a few years ago by way of a PowerLite I picked up at Goodwill for $30. I love the bike but it is a bit small for me (19" TT). Nowadays I ride many road miles and race at the velodrome, but I want another BMX to keep things fun and mix up my riding.

* To keep things realistic I was thinking about keeping the cost below or around $400.
* I am 31, 5'8" and weigh in at 160
* Less interested in breaking bones doing stuff meant for people with more skill, but I think I would use it on the street and MTB trails for giggles.
* I am leaning toward a cruiser and just started looking so my current list is too short:
Redline Proline 24 (no cost yet on this one)
Haro X24 (local shop wants $329)
Suggestions wanted, please!

minichamp31 05-14-08 05:05 PM

If you want a cruiser for the street, look into ones with a chromoly frame. The DK General Lee is pretty nice. 100% chromoly frame, forks, and cranks for $265 is a good deal. The X24 isn't a bad bike, but more the more chromoly the better.

Alumium Frame:
Redline Proline $460
Intense 24 $400
Kuwahara Nova 24 $365
MCS Magnum 24 $350
GT Powerseries 24 $550...little out of price range but great bike.
Haro SR 24 $405

gresam 05-15-08 05:55 AM

I guess my thought was that the aluminum bikes would reduce weight and make bombing around mountain bike trails much easier. I wasn't sure if the chromoly frame would just feel like a tank trying to ride around. I know the Alu bikes are entry level race, are they just not strong enough for that type of abuse? I'm just ignorant about these things...

Also, the LBS guy was really talking up (hard selling) the DK Charger because it had a sealed BB and sealed wheel bearings. Is this really a concern I need to have, or should I just save the $$ and get a chromoly and upgrade if and when it is a problem?

I do like the General Lee. What other chromoly bikes are suggested? My BMX lbs also carries GT, FIT, Free Agent, Eastern, Redline and some others but only had one cruiser (a Proline) on the floor. I've been searching more online now, finding some interesting stuff from most of the companies mentioned...

minichamp31 05-15-08 08:01 PM

Chromoly cruisers aren't that popular unless you were to go custom which is really expensive. The alumium frames are pretty strong and are definitely light, but I just don't know if I would really trust it for street riding. Mirraco does have a nice 24" though. It's called the Icon 20Forty. The DK Charger is a really nice bike, but once again it's aluminum. See if you have any local bmx tracks around you and maybe get into some racing, too. :thumb:

gresam 05-16-08 12:18 PM

Decisions, decisions! Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it! I just finished building a new road bike from the ground up but I would prefer to find a good BMX off the rack. We do have a nice track here in Dallas, but it is well south of me and with gas prices being what they are...

minichamp31 05-16-08 08:12 PM

Oh, yeah. I wish I lived on the West Coast. ABA country out there. Find something you like and ride, ride, ride.